Ever heard of this?

Started by
37 comments, last by Mulligan 21 years, 10 months ago
A friend of mine showed me a program that allows the user to type a question, then outputs an answer. It somehow linked to all kinds of search engines and responds with the most revalent information. For instance, I typed "Who was the first president?" response "His name was George Washington" Anyone heard of it?
Advertisement
No, but that would sound like one hell of a cool summer project.
But thats wrong!
Everyone knows the first president was Douglas Hyde.
<a href="http://www.purplenose.com>purplenose.com
SmarterChild (message him on AIM) is pretty smart for what he was designed to do (still trying to figure out exactly what that is...)

Also, Alice is pretty smart. Dont give up on her too quickly!

As for your program, maybe it would have said "George Washington" if you had asked it what color oranges are?

Was it an online program? Console-type program? Windows program with a GUI? .sen
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
I like MegaHal a lot too, does not make a search on search engines, but since it learns what you teach it, I guess you could just feed his brain with the results of a search engine spider, that would be a cool experiment.

Sounds like Ask Jeeves to me.

Dave Mark
President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

hmm, but that AI program you are talking about didn''t gave you an inteligent answer.., it''s a pretty stupid answer.
A correct asnwer would be, "Which country are you refering too?".
With more than 300 countrys on the planet, why would you be talking about the us president ?
Not to mention all the clubs, and societies etc. that also have presidents!
quote:Original post by Bruno
hmm, but that AI program you are talking about didn''t gave you an inteligent answer.., it''s a pretty stupid answer.

You''re neglecting the fact that a good many people would have given the same answer (assuming that they knew that George Washington was the first US president).

The quality of the answer given by the program isn''t as easy to judge as you might think. I, for one, think it gave the most reasonable answer given the information it had and the obvious time constraints. The program did, then, do a good job of emulating its human creators...

Anyhow, let''s not hijack the thread. Mulligan, if you liked that program you might also enjoy My Little Tony.
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
>You''re neglecting the fact that a good many people would have >given the same answer (assuming that they knew that George >Washington was the first US president).

I didn''t get you.., Why on earth would many people give that asnwer ? I think only Americans would asnwer that!

>I, for one, think it gave the most reasonable answer given the >information it had and the obvious time constraints..

Information and time constraints ? What are you talking about ?
If he gathers the information from search engines, it searches all over the world, not only in America, and even in American pages i believe there is history from another countrys.

Bruno

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement