Particle System Demo

Started by
11 comments, last by ziplux 24 years ago
I just created a particle system demo. I wondering what I should do to make it better, and also what FPS everyone got and what you though of it. Please go to http://asylumentertainment.cjb.net to get it. Thanks in advance. BTW You move the mouse, the particle system follows, and click the mouse for an explosion of particles. Kind of like in Nox. Edited by - ziplux on 3/19/00 6:04:49 PM
My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t XR- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"Decode my geekcode!Geekcode.com
Visit our web site:Asylum Entertainment
Advertisement
I got a 24-26 FPS. That was pretty cool.
Really cool stuff. I got around 40 FPS. The weird thing is that the more particles there were on the screen, the higher the FPS got
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
It wouldn''t work on mine,

you click on it - it seems to attempt switching
to fullscreen and then it bombs out back to the
desktop - no error or anything, it just quits.

-Mezz
Cool demo. It ran at 70-75 FPS on my Pentium 3 700 w/ GeForce. One thing though. I switched away from the program and couldn''t get back into it. You should write a little code to handle the WM_ACTIVATE message (sent to the app when the app is switched to or away from).

www.gameprojects.com - Share Your Games and Other Projects
Thanks for all the replies. About WM_ACTIVATE, what do I call in that, lpddsprimary->Restore()?
My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t XR- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"Decode my geekcode!Geekcode.com
This is something like what I''d put in:

case WM_ACTIVATE:

BOOL app_active = LOWORD(wParam);
if (app_active && ddraw)
{
//ddraw is the IDirectDraw7 object
ddraw->RestoreAllSurfaces();
}

break;

Mezz: You need DirectX 7. That may be the problem.

Thanks for all the responses. I''ll be posting an improved version soon.
I have DirectX 7. It''s not the problem.

Great work! I have a P2 450 Mhz with and Nvidia card. It maintained an FPS of 60, no matter how many particles there were on the screen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement