Triple Buffering In OpenGL?

Started by
21 comments, last by mavric 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi Could someone please tell me how to do triple buffering in OpenGL? Thanks
Advertisement
The driver controls that. I don''t think there''s a way to affect that through your application''s code. I don''t know how the driver makes such a determination though...

------------
- outRider -
No, you should be able to do triple buffering, but why on earth would you want to? There''s no need for any more than double buffering...

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
Triple buffering allows you to keep drawing while the first image is being displayed and the second waits for its turn. Rather than remain idle waiting for the buffer swap to occur you use the extra time to draw an additional frame.
Thank you AP, but I know what triple buffering is .

[Edit] I said something stupid, imo. Ignore this...

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)

[edited by - Buzzy on July 10, 2002 1:14:41 AM]
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Triple buffering allows you to keep drawing while the first image is being displayed and the second waits for its turn. Rather than remain idle waiting for the buffer swap to occur you use the extra time to draw an additional frame.

I disagree. Double-buffering is more than enough for smooth
animation. Why would you want to "idle"? Right, you wouldn''t.
You''d use all the CPU power that you get.

If it took 5 ms to render the last screen, great, start
working on the next screen by rendering to the back buffer
and swap. No "idle" there. We''re talking 200 fps.

Maybe you''re thinking "wait for vertical sync" but that''s
just silly. Surely, you''ve already turned *OFF* vertical sync?

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
also, triple buffering means you have a 3rd chunk of vid. ram being taken up for screen display, bit of a waste when double buffering is enuff.
All Mavric ask is how to do triple buffering in OpenGL not for opinions whether to use it or not. I''m sure he has his reasons. It might be good pratice for the future...

Any, I don''t have the answer and would like to find out. You can do it easily in Directx so I don''t think its a driver issue but what do I know?
If I''m not mistaken, you can enable triple buffering in the "video card driver settings" of Windows of some video cards (I''m not going to boot Windows to check, feel free to do so yourself ). I don''t know how (or if) you can from your code though, as I''ve never wanted to.

quote:Original post by AndyTang
All Mavric ask is how to do triple buffering in OpenGL not for opinions whether to use it or not. I''m sure he has his reasons. It might be good pratice for the future...

If a person is standing at the edge of a high cliff and
ask "How do I do a backflip?", do you simply tell him to
raise his hands and jump backwards, or do you tell him to
step forward and walk away from the cliff?

Something to think about...

~~~~
Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement