MP3-Beating Compression

Started by
494 comments, last by kieren_j 24 years ago
Look, if kieren_j is happy that he just got an awesome algorithm to work then you really don't have any right to rip on him. If you feel intimidated by his apparent higher intellect and behavior (he didn't insult anybody), you don't need to say anything about it. I'd definitely like to see such a technology in action, because it could easily compress a massive game demo into a tiny, easily retrieved file, thereby making broadband and mass storage devices almost useless.

I eagerly anticipate the demo.
Then we'll see if it can really do the job.

Edited by - Assassin on 4/6/00 4:22:27 PM
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
Advertisement
Why don''t you try going to http://www.wotsit.org/ and look at how they do the lzw under gif.. you could also look at other compression methods there. As for your compression method i doubt people who have spent their life writting such formats as jpg and gif and tiff would apreciate you making fun of their time with your off hand commets of creating an impossible compression schme in 20 minutes.
Founder Caffeinated Gameswww.caffeinatedgames.com
I''m sorry for throwing insults around earlier. I think Assassin is right. We should encourage kieren_j in this. I know that this sounds completely implausible, and that it also seems that he''s hiding something, and that there is no proof and none offered - but seriously people!!! Think of how many MP3''s you could store on a single 512 KB 5 1/2 floppy getting 102% compression!!! That''s a friggin infinite number! In fact, our entire computing industry just changed in the 20 minutes kieren_j worked on this! Now, a 1 mb hard drive is unstoppable! If we were to compress all the data stored on the internet, we wouldn''t be hurting for extra space anytime in the next 30 years! My harddrive alone could hold 3,438,195,234,238 copies of the MP3 from the VW Jetta commercial! It''s a revolution! Screw Microsoft! With this compression scheme under his belt, I wouldn''t be surprised if 38 states go after his monopoly in the compression market with class-action lawsuits.

kieren_j, if you want a job at my company, I can offer you lawyers that will keep you out of jail for your monopolistic actions to push WinZip out of the compression industry. Just email me.

Pythius
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
Man Pythius, do you have a college degree in sarcasm or what? That was bitingly hard. I do know that the numbers he presents are implasuible (the 3 byte one is totally impossible though - 3 bytes isn''t enough to even store the number of NULL bytes in a 100 MB file). But honestly, if he can do it then he may as well move to Brazil to escape the software and hardware companies he''ll be putting out of business...
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
MR K. coould you be more specific about the KInd of data you''ve been compressing? Could you maybe post a sample of the pictures, or wav files you''ve compressed?

Dem of Oniera

Demetrios GeorgeadisDirector/ProgrammerOniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

you sux man, we all know that it is impossible

just try to make an algorithm that compress a NORMAL mp3 by 50% and you will certainly become the GOD of Earth.

good luck
Well, I must say that I have never seen a more arrogant bunch of w%^$£rs in my life. Do you lot enjoy making fun out of other people. Just because something sounds impossible, doesn''t mean it is. Until one of you can give me mathematical/scientific proof why what kieren_j says is impossible, I believe him. Are all of you so single minded. You arrogant bas%£@$s. I REALLY hope he has found this incromprehensible algorithm, just so I can see you faces! Let me ask you lot something....If what he says is true, and this algorithm becomes the new standard, will you use it?

A compression algorithm that compresses, but doesn''t decompress.

Thats a novel idea...
Yeah, kind of like encryption algorithms that don''t decrypt. Oh wait! Those do exist, they''re used in public key encryption systems. (and who knows what else)

I have to admit that I''m as skeptical as anyone else here, but it certainly doesn''t do anyone any good to make fun of the person. Please show a little maturity.

bcj
ok i don't know much about compression but from what i know compression takes advantage of repeated data from within files. Therefore if your "CAR" compression does this, it does not make sense that compressed files are compressed even more than non compressed files.

Also a 5meg to 16k compression for an mp3 &
A 100meg to 3 bytes

These values would imply that almost every piece of data in those files were repeated and your "CAR" system was designed for the files specifically (to read 100 bytes of repeated data or something).

If your actually being serious you should really check your code and make sure your not deleting data from these files. And if u want to prove to everyone (including me) that you know what you're doing release a simple program to compress and decompress a file.

"...Until one of you can give me mathematical/scientific proof why what kieren_j says is impossible, I believe him..."

PRISMA has he given you (or any of us) any mathematical/scientific proof that what he says is possible.

Edited by - +AA_970+ on 4/6/00 7:49:22 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement