Emacs Auto-Indent?

Started by
9 comments, last by Extrarius 21 years, 1 month ago
Does anybody know how to get Emacs to automatically indent Lisp code? I''ve read all over the place that it can do it, but it seems that nobody feels like explaining how to turn that feature on (or how to use it if its not 100% automatic).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Advertisement
It should do it pretty much automatically. Certainly there''s no need to turn it on - tab and newline are bound to lisp-indent-line and newline-and-indent automatically in lisp mode [note that on most keyboards enter does not produce a newline but a carriage return]. About the only thing you might have to do to make it indent "correctly" is to switch from the default emacs-lisp indentation style to the common-lisp style, with something like this in your .emacs file:
(add-hook ''lisp-mode-hook          ''(lambda ()             (setq lisp-indent-function ''common-lisp-indent-function))) 

If you want to make CR do newline-and-indent too, you can do:
(add-hook ''lisp-mode-hook          ''(lambda ()            (define-key lisp-mode-map [?\C-m] ''newline-and-indent)            (define-key lisp-mode-map [?\C-j] ''newline))) 

to swap the definitions of those two keys.
Oh, so I have to use enter and tab... Lots of places say things like "since everybody uses emacs for writing Lisp code, you don''t need to worry about indenting style" which made me think it was more automatic.
Know of any guides on Lisp indenting so I know when to hit enter?
Emacs is a pain in the ass to get it to work in the ways you want it to.

Use vim.
quote:Original post by CmndrM

Use vim.

... but ''Everybody'' uses emacs for Lisp coding ...

Ok, I just downloaded vim for windows, and it opens up with an emulated console with a tilde on each line, and it has what appears to be space for a windows menu at the top but there is nothing there. There was no included readme, but there was a readme_bindos.txt that tells you the name of the zip for various versions of dos an windows. So far, I find emacs a lot easier to understand and use.

The only thing I can''t figure out is ''proper'' Lisp indentation, which emacs does ''automatically'' for me but only if I tell it when to indent. The problem is that I don''t know the Lisp indentation standard, so I don''t know when to tell it to indent for me.
quote:Original post by CmndrM

Use vim.

Vim is a pain in the ass to get it to work in the ways you want it to.

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Uh, actually, if you run the vim tutorial, it has a .vimrc file that pretty much puts all the settings the way you''d want them by default anyway
The one I downloaded was just 5-6 executables, that readme_bindos.txt and a dll or two. No turial file of any kind, and the program had no menu so it wasn''t an option there either.
quote:Original post by Extrarius
Oh, so I have to use enter and tab... Lots of places say things like "since everybody uses emacs for writing Lisp code, you don''t need to worry about indenting style" which made me think it was more automatic.

Well, it''s not automatic in the sense that it''ll automatically break lines for you. You can ask it to reformat a block of code properly, and it knows how to indent various special forms and macros in readable ways. For example:
(multiple-value-bind     (a b) (some-function-returning-two-values)  (do-something-with a b)) 

with that second line indented more than the third. (And, of course, the indenter is programmable - see the end of cl-indent.el in your emacs distribution for examples of adding forms [though you won''t need to in ordinary circumstances].)

quote:
Know of any guides on Lisp indenting so I know when to hit enter?

http://www.lisp.org/table/style.htm
quote:Original post by Extrarius
Does anybody know how to get Emacs to automatically indent Lisp code? I''ve read all over the place that it can do it, but it seems that nobody feels like explaining how to turn that feature on (or how to use it if its not 100% automatic).

When emacs is up and running, "ALT-X" and type lisp-mode at the prompt. That should help you, I think. Haven''t used emacs in a long while.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator TheLinuxForum.tk]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement