Average age of Game programmers and the speed of technology

Started by
72 comments, last by NeoReality 23 years, 11 months ago
and im 18 and feal really young now

~prevail by daring to fail~
Advertisement
I just turned 24 yesterday. Right now I am part of a developing company that makes video gambling machines. It''s as closed to game development as you can get in Tennessee. Hopefully I will have enough skills to get into "real" game development in a couple of years. I do not think I will be considered over the hill at 26.
Later
Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Well, i''m 22 and just graduated with my masters from Berkeley and i''ve got offers out the wazoo from all kinds of companies, including game dev shops. I decided against game dev as a career path because of the huge discrepancy between that and other work that was offering well into the six digit range. I''ll keep it as a hobby for now, maybe I can start my own thing when i''m hmmmmm OLDER. There is nothing wrong with an old game developer. Creativity has no age limit, so I think when we are all older we should show them how full of BS people are for thinking so.
I''m 15 and working on a 3D adventure game to be published. The lead programmer of the engine is a guy I''m working with in his 20''s. He''s very talented (can whip up a 3D engine single-handedly faster than id or Epic) but he''s never been discovered. I had a vision for a game and he liked it, so we''re hoping we can make ourselves heard in the commercial market.

Basically my point is: Don''t worry about age. The first thing you should focus on is getting jobs and becoming "known" in the industry. Don''t let your talents go to waste just because you couldn''t get a chance to show your stuff. If you''re a great programmer, what does it matter if you''re 18 or 25 or 45?

------------------------------
"You mean I have to be clinically insane to use your bathroom?!"
--Mason Carver, atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
I''m 24, and I think we have the perfect age!

We lived to see the computer develop! Starting with the basic stuff - doing things from BASIC to Assembly.

We know things, new people (in 10 years orso) will never experience! They will grow up with almost all game idea''s exploited! They will grow up with a maybe even more advanced languages than C++! Maybe they''ll never see the roots and idea''s the computer today was born from!

Maybe this is a good thing? Maybe NOT!

Maybe we''ll be the brains behind all computer programs, and they new people will be slave implementers!

Time will tell...
Umm...I''m only 15, but I know quite a bit. I truely love programming, along with girls and hanging out with friends. However, I will NEVER get into the game development industry. Here''s why:

I don''t know about you people, but sometimes in my spare time (once in a blue moon) I watch the MSDN show. Well, all the programmers they talk to are 300 POUNDS OVERWEIGHT. It''s disgusting, makes me wanna barf. These people never rest, never get laid, never exercise, never do ANYTHING!!! Programming''s great as a hobby, I''ll probably churn out a few simple games, but why not pursue a better job where you become exposed to more people and can make more money at once. Very few GAME programmers ever rise to John Carmack status, and most barely make enough to survive. Sure, database and maintenence programmers do well, but game programming, only the best of the best make real money. Alright, sorry for the mini-rant, this is just my opinion. Oh yeah, and check out Sevendust, they are one kick ass band! Denial, best song on the planet (this changes weekly for me) right now!

Ciao
OreoBoy03
OreoBoy, you don't want to be a game programmer because you're afraid of becomming overweight!? Noone's strapping you to the chair. Many programmers I know are skinny. Look at Bill Gates. Until I got married and my wife started feeding me right, I was well below normal weight. I was almost too low. 6'3", 147 lbs.

E:cb woof!

Edited by - dog135 on May 31, 2000 6:56:59 PM
E:cb woof!
Your age doesn''t make a damn bit of a difference. It does when you''re 60, but not when u''re 25. 25 is perfect. And if you''re good enough, technology will never outrun you, because you''re gonna be the one creating it.
Dog, I think I mentioned exercise. It seems to me that all programmers are either grossly under- or over- weight, and I haven''t even heard of a "buff" programmer yet! and, unlesss programmers are married, they NEVER GET LAID!!! I would die a slow miserable death!!! Of course, sex and programmers could make a whole new thread...
OH MY GOD! I'm so sorry guys, I didn't mean to multiple post, but my net hung and i got pissed and clicked on reply a million times cuz i didn't think it was working. I'm so sorry!

E: Sorry guys, I just found out how to delete and edit messages, so I deleted the duplicates, don't think I'm crazy or dillusional. And hey, thanks to those duplicates, I just rose to rank of DEDICATED! I'M SO HAPPY! Time to throw a block party Gotta run, I gotta party to plan, catcha later.

Edited by - OreoBoy03 on May 31, 2000 7:52:02 PM

Edited by - OreoBoy03 on May 31, 2000 7:53:10 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement