What 3D modelers do you prefer?

Started by
9 comments, last by warpexplorer 23 years, 10 months ago
Im looking for a good 3D modeler for game development. I checked out 3D Studio MAX and MAYA, but i couldn''t get the MAYA demo working so i was stuck to watching the tutorials. They both looked like they were good modelers. Lightwave looks pretty good too. A free modeler might be nice, but I was wondering, what 3D modelers are most commonly used for game development? Which modeler do you prefer?
Advertisement
I think MAX is one of the more popular ones because it has a scripting language and allows you to export your own custom file. I dont'' do any 3D modeling myself (I''m a terrible artist) but one of my friends does and he uses MAX, as well as trueSpace. Hope this helps!
Okay yeah, 3D Studio MAX is a good program. However, if you don't want to bother making the wire frames yourself, I suggest Play Amorphium (about $149). It animates, morphs, and has already made wire frame models for you to choose. You have Sphere, Cube, Pyramid, Cylinder, Pill, anything you could possibly want. You can add color, distorts, all types of things.

To check out some of the stuff I've done with it, just go to

http://www.gis.net/~mls/Fanart.htm

Top quality games don't kick ass as well as these.

http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card

Edited by - Magic Card on June 13, 2000 5:30:38 PM
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
For actual 3D game models, I think MAX is pretty good, and can''t be beat for the price. LW is as cheap, but I''ve heard complaints about the modellor(don''t know, never tried it myself). Maya and SoftImage are awesome, but very costly.
If you''re modelling for cinematics or a 2D game (sprites and whatnot) it''s a different story. LW has a much better built in renderer than MAX, same with MAYA and SI, unless you have Mental Ray for MAX.
I''m using MAX for a 3D rts that I''m working on, and it''s done everything I need it to thus far.

TruSpace and all of the other low budget ones are very lacking compared to MAX, MAYA, SI and LW... But their price is waaay lower.

-BacksideSnap-
truespace is great for low budget stuff, but if ur doing a 3d game(like quake,halflife) try milkshape 3d its free
I was just wondering what MAX can do that Truespace can''t, I was thinking of buying it one day soon, MAX that is. I currently use Truespace though.
a bunch of stuff, check their site i think they have a list of features
I love MAX. Always have. What little experience I''ve got using Lightwave and TrueSpace is unsettling. I haven''t used Maya yet, so I can''t make any opinions on it.

This might sound funny, but for a long time I actually prefered 3DS2 (for DOS) over MAX, because I knew how to use 3DS2 really well, and I was just learning to use MAX. (That interface is SCARY when you don''t know what you''re doing!) But then I learned MAX, and I''m glad I did. The only package that beats it in shear modelling power is Rhinoceros.

On the other hand, there''s actually a plug-in for MAX that let''s you import Rhino files. All problems solved! The plug-in architecture of MAX is what makes it so damned cool. If it doesn''t do what you want, chances are there''s a plug-in that will add the features you need.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

What do you guys do after you model in 3D Max or Truespace? Do you make games with the models?
"If you build it, it will crash."
for the art guys we make scenes and animations for the heck(and practice, contest) of it, and also use it for games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement