Using Lisp (or another language) to generate fictional characters

Started by
125 comments, last by Woodsman 20 years, 4 months ago
it seems that the 'program' structure can be done on paper before implementation (builduing tree struct) isn't it?? is there other kind of representation of the lisp before coding?
i mean visual one, if i understood a little what's going one with the doc i have read, i'm a visual people and work mostly before doing everything with graphic...
i just want to be sure (maybe some subtlety i miss in the syntax which fit better to a scriptural aproach than a visual one)

EDIT:
did bishop_pâss could move this to ai forum
i think it would fit better and wouldn't go 1O pages away in less than half a second
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[edited by - neoshaman on November 12, 2003 1:57:32 AM]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Advertisement
It''s sort of interesting, as I read Digital Mantras and experiment further with this system, I begin to see where the functions and system I''ve defined arenn''t simply limited to this domain. I can envision a twist on it being used in the system hinted at in the Plausible Interlude thread, as well as other things such as Natural Language and Knowledge Systems as the examples for the SHRDLU program in the book uses a system that, if not written in Lisp, certainly seems to stick to many of the same rules. Cheers.
quote:Original post by Neoshaman
it seems that the ''program'' structure can be done on paper before implementation (builduing tree struct) isn''t it?? is there other kind of representation of the lisp before coding?
i mean visual one, if i understood a little what''s going one with the doc i have read, i''m a visual people and work mostly before doing everything with graphic...
i just want to be sure (maybe some subtlety i miss in the syntax which fit better to a scriptural aproach than a visual one)

I think you could certainly outline much of it on paper, though I guess it would sort of depend on your project. What do you mean by "is there other kind of representation of the lisp before coding?"? Also, which document are you referencing that you''ve read? In any event, cheers and your english is very good for someone so new to it.

quote:Original post by Neoshaman
did bishop_pâss could move this to ai forum
i think it would fit better and wouldn''t go 1O pages away in less than half a second

I wish.
quote:Original post by kordova
I wish.
You think?

quote:Original post by bishop_pass
You think?

?
quote:Original post by kordova
You think?

?
I''m asking if you think it should be moved to the AI forum? How much better would it fare over there?

I'm asking if you think it should be moved to the AI forum? How much better would it fare over there?

While, sadly, most people never leave the lounge, it'd probably do more justice to this thread to not be surrounded by and lost among random crap threads whereas it might occasionally be viewed in the AI forum. This thread's not incredibly active as it is obviously though I personally would like to contribute to it over time as I can.

I think this thread ties in nicely with the other associated threads and it would be neat to see them together, not that that will necessarily add to its popularity.

[edited by - kordova on November 16, 2003 11:23:07 PM]
Anyway, I have a few ideas and have some time to spend on the theory as well as implementing and refining the actual code so what do you think the next logical steps are? Are these functions/tools what you had in mind for this or are changes needed? Additions? I''ll probably try a few things I have in mind in the meantime. Cheers.
Well, using similar data structures as already described, I would try and provide knowledge describing generic key events which happen in one''s life, with possible role fillers. Also, those key events would have slots such as ''can-trigger'' and ''often-caused-by'' which in turn point to other generic event types. We might have something like:

leaving-home:
subcategory-of: event
often-caused-by: parental-abuse wanderlust going-to-college
roles: leaver home

And then, we would have:

parental-abuse:
subcategory-of: condition
roles: child parent
abused: child
abuser: parent father mother

Then the system would examine these frames and create particular instances of them. For example:

leaving-home-john:
instance-of: leaving-home
leaver: john
home: johns-home

It''s rough, and just food for thought.
Alright, a lot of that is pretty much as I had expected. For the most part things exist as a sort of "tree" of "knowledge" as it were. Where I begin to lose myself in it, is once you''ve encoded so much information, how you manipulate it afterwards (at runtime I suppose). Again it''s most likely just my inexperience with more symbolic systems but I''m having difficulty in seeing a way to use this afterwards. Perhaps more thought will bridge the gap for me, as I do have seem to have something of a grasp on either end...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement