RPG frag Statistics

Started by
18 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
Who would like FPS style stats in a RPG. Stats like how many goblins, orcs, giants etc you have killed. How much money has gone through your hands. And how many different types of stats of this nature could you have? (what would they be?) I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I am surprised that D2 didn''t have that. I know if I had a say, any game I worked on would have it.
I think that''s a good idea so long as the type of game being designed has the intent of perpetuating muder-based gameplay such as Diablo.

However, if it''s a game more like what we''ve been discussing, wouldn''t that just make people want be the best at everything and concentrate on killing and getting more money than others, etc?
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix

I think that''s a good idea so long as the type of game being designed has the intent of perpetuating muder-based gameplay such as Diablo.

However, if it''s a game more like what we''ve been discussing, wouldn''t that just make people want be the best at everything and concentrate on killing and getting more money than others, etc?

Well, i think that would depend on the types of stats included. Some others that you''ve just brought to my mind could be:
1. Optimization Stats like Percentages
2. Quest completion stats
3. Communication stats (like gamedev.net forum stats)
4. Role Playing Stats/Awards

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote:Original post by Paul Cunningham

Well, i think that would depend on the types of stats included. Some others that you''ve just brought to my mind could be:
1. Optimization Stats like Percentages
2. Quest completion stats
3. Communication stats (like gamedev.net forum stats)
4. Role Playing Stats/Awards

Our Goal is "Fun"!

That''s not a bad idea, but I think those sorts of stats would distance the player from the game that much more. The player would see their progress through numbers even more than they already do. Just my opinion...

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix
That''s not a bad idea, but I think those sorts of stats would distance the player from the game that much more. The player would see their progress through numbers even more than they already do. Just my opinion...

I guess thats why they are mainly used in Deathmatch games. Hmmm must think now :-)

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote:Original post by Paul Cunningham

Who would like FPS style stats in a RPG. Stats like how many goblins, orcs, giants etc you have killed. How much money has gone through your hands.

And how many different types of stats of this nature could you have? (what would they be?)

Our Goal is "Fun"!

I think this is a really cool ideal. If these these stats were utilized in the combat system or for any other game decisions it would make them all the more important to track.
As an example:
If a player has killed 200 Trolls, then the next time he meets up with a troll... this would be utilized in the combat equation.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Even on good RPG games (Arena, Eye of the Beholder, etc) I would love to take a peak at those stats, or at least pop them up at the end game. As a development tool, it would be a great way to see if you are using too many of a certain monster in the game.

For the tree huggers, you could also add a ''trees hugged'' stat, ''dolphins not eatend'' stat, and ''animals saved'' stat. I''d probably get negative values on such a game.
quote: Original post by Dak Lozar

I think this is a really cool ideal. If these these stats were utilized in the combat system or for any other game decisions it would make them all the more important to track.
As an example:
If a player has killed 200 Trolls, then the next time he meets up with a troll... this would be utilized in the combat equation.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

It could also be used quite cleverly for promoting roleplaying. i.e. The troll (you mentioned) might react differently due to the fact that you've killed 200 of them and run away or attack you madly.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on July 7, 2000 1:10:04 PM
quote:Original post by Dak Lozar
As an example:

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Sure, there''s nothing wrong w/ that fact that the player has killed 200 trolls affecting the combat equation, but I don''t think the player should nessessarily see that.

Maybe the player could notice that Trolls really, really hate them even more after killing so many of their kind, but I don''t think there should be a number telling the player that sort of info.

Granted, the player may remember how many enemies he killed etc, but it just seems too much like an arcade game when it''s like that...

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement