Open question: why eat meat?

Started by
367 comments, last by Fuzztrek 20 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by PmanC
i''m currently developing my sugar-water/vitimin/mineral diet. NO PESKY CHEWING FOR ME!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA

No more pesky teeth for you either...
Advertisement
Comparative dental analysis will tell that humans have evolved as omnivores, and so its natural that meat be part of the human diet. I, however, am vegetarian, in part because I know what goes in the meat, and in part because I think its disgusting what they do to the animals. Vegetarian diets are more efficient because at each trophic level of the food chain, you loose at least 90% of the level below it; so if you eat a chicken, the chicken itself consumed at least 10x its own wieght in grain. This efficency is somewhat of a moot issue though, because advances in argiculture along with a slowing in world population growth mean that we can meet the world demand for (farmed) food for the forseeable future, with distribution of food to hungry people being the main problem, rather than supply. High consumption of meat still has high environmental costs because farmed animals graze huge swaths of land, or cause many more times land to be farmed than is necessary to feed them, or in the case of fishing, is systematically destroying the ecosystems of the world''s oceans.
I think that you kind of answered your own question by bringing up vitamin b12, but need I remind you that meat is also a very good source of protein and fat? (Fat greatly reduces the risk of stroke, and you can''t find much of it in salad ) As far as your reference to the Bible, you can find the answer in Genesis, where it clearly states that humans can eat meat.

----------------------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don''t"
----------------------------------"War does not determine who is right, only who is left." -Bertrand Russell
Because it''s tasty, and because I grew up on a farm and know what''s involved (and I have a few revenge cases to settle).

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Meat = tasty = protein.

shortcurves.com | /josh

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

I can''t answer why I eat meat, because I don''t, but I can tell you what it''s like to not eat meat. If you don''t want to hear it then just skip to the next reply...

I''ve been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for over 2 years. That means I eat vegetables as well as dairy and egg. The reason for dairy and egg is because I don''t think I can live without baked stuff like pie and cookies etc.

I''m not sure it is right for everyone, but it was great for me. Ever since I stopped eating meat, I''ve stopped suffering from upper respiratory infections (only 1 cough in 2 years when I used to get one every month or two). My allergies are much better too. I don''t know why. Maybe I was allergic to some kind of additive or maybe the antibiotics or other medication given to animals.

Other''s have had bad experience with iron deficiency when going veg, but I haven''t had a problem with that. I think that problem is more common in women.

As for B12, what I''ve read is that there is an enzyme in meat that destroys the flora in your intestine which naturally produce B12. If you drop your meat consumption but still eat some, you will have less B12, but if you go without meat the flora will return and B12 will come back. I don''t take any B12 suppliments, or any other suppliments for that matter.

Another thing people worry about is getting omega 3 (found in fish oils). If you worry about that, you can get it from flax seed oil suppliments. I don''t bother with it. I tried getting flax seed oil but they package them in gelcaps, which are made from animal bones... go figure!

One thing I''ve noticed is that since I''ve stopped eating meat I''ve switched to more variety in my diet when home and less variety at any given restaurant. There are so many vegetables and so many ways to prepare them that you never get in a rut. I think this variety is good for me. But when going to restaurants, you have less to choose from unless you ask them for something without the meat in it.

An easy way to transition to vegheadedness is to go to the frozen breakfast section at the supermarket. Somewhere near there you will find frozen vegetarian "meat" products, like bocca burgers, chick nuggets, etc. The Morningstar Farms buffalo wings are pretty spicy. The sausage crumbles are great for making breakfast burritos. They also have corn dogs that taste amazingly like corn dogs with meat.

You can get some excellent vegetarian food at Chinese and Mexican restaurants (ask them if they put lard in their refried beans), but the best vegetarian food in my opinion is Indian.

For cheap fast food, try Taco Bell''s 7-layer burrito. Taco Cabana has excellent black bean burrito or soft taco. McDonalds has nothing good to eat. Burger King''s veggie burger tastes like crap.

Last November I was camping and after a few drinks a buddy coaxed me into trying a bite of some steak (they were all talking about how awesome it was)... well I tried it and thought it tasted nasty. But it''s best to be polite with the carnivores, since they are on the "normal" side of things.

As for "political" reasons, I can''t say eating vegetables saves animal lives. I''ve heard more mammals (mostly rodents) are killed while harvesting vegetables (via those massive combines) than are killed in the slaughter house for the same weight of meat. Is this true? I don''t know... it sounds fishy. Also vegetables house a lot of insects and mites and such, but then again meat houses parasites too. You can''t help eat members of the animal kingdom, hell you do that just from breathing dust.

I''m getting a lot less cholesterol than my parents. I''m hoping I don''t have to have coronary bypass like my dad... that was pretty bad.
-solo (my site)
I don''t think it''s a matter of "can you eat it?" We agree you can; the question is why do you want to?

Personally, I seperate existence into two things; "for eating", and "not for eating" (with a small group of questionables like carboard, snow, crayons, etc.) Now, in the edible group, thigs are further subdivided into "good" and "not good". If it''s "good" and "for eating", I eat it. I like to eat meat. There''s my reasoning

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take damage.
"A page of history is worth a volume of logic." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

I eat meat because:

A. It tastes good
B. Eating raw vegetables has been linked to the developement of Crone''s Disease.
C. I''m allergic to soy

| Deviant Art | I Want My Island | Mail me |
"The solution to everything is sex, murder, and software piracy."
-- AnonymousPosterChild
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
I eat meat because I enjoy it, and I don''t believe that it is morally wrong to kill animals for food, or for survival. I see no reason to abstain because someone else thinks it is morally wrong. I stick by my own morals, not other peoples. I would still happily eat meat if slaughterhouses had glass walls. In my opinion, killing animals for food is natural, it is simply the natural order of things. We are omnivorous, and as such meat forms part of our diet.

Whether the bible condones or encourages the consumption of meat is irrelevant, as I am an atheist.
I like meat, it tastes good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement