Free game: Tower (latest version 1.6)

Started by
60 comments, last by WitchLord 20 years ago
quote:Original post by WitchLord
I still have to verify the bug in Win98. There is a chance that I managed to get rid of it, as I've rewritten parts of the code for setting up the device and window. So if anyway could be so kind as to test it for me I would be very thankful?

Still locks up in Win98, fullscreen. The only thing different I noticed was that the log file is now empty. A new one is created, but nothing is logged. The log file is created (EDIT: and data is logged) when it doesn't lock up though.

quote:A big thanks to everyone, and especially Reana1, Jolle, and nonpop for being so patient with me and trying the various beta versions. Anytime you need help, just drop me a line and I'll do what I can.

Glad to help, and I hope you can track it down eventually.

Tadd
- WarbleWare

[edited by - reana1 on March 17, 2004 10:29:31 PM]
Tadd- WarbleWare
Advertisement
An impressive game. I like the concept, it is very original. Much more than tetris. It also looks nice too.

-Gauvir_Mucca
With the exception of fullscreen mode the game runs just fine on my old P3 450Mhz,
196MB PC100 SDRAM,
MSI 6119 440BX
Hercules Dynamite TNT AGP video card
running Windows 98SE with DirectX 9b.
Reana1:

The log file is probably empty because it wasn''t flushed to disk before you reset the machine. Windows caches disk writing so that it can write in larger bursts instead of byte by byte. I could of course add a call to fflush() after each addition to the log.

I think the only way I''m going to figure out this bug is if I install Win98 so that I can debug the game on it. I hope I can get the time to do that soon enough.

Gauvir_Mucca:

Thanks. When I came up with the idea, I just knew I had to make it. It feels good that others appreciate it as well.

AP:

Thanks for the info. Yes, Win98 is a big problem. There are still plenty of people who have Win98 so the game has to work with it.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

If you decide to implement custom controls, it would be nice to be able to use key combinations, for example:

up/down = cycle
ctrl+up/down = rotate

or something...
I've finally managed to squash the mean little bug that made Win98 systems hang when going fullscreen. You'll not believe what the error was. No, it was not something I did when creating the Direct3D device, or any other DirectX call either. And it was not a windows message I've handled incorrectly. It was the declared calling convention for the windows procedure. I had forgotten to declare it with WINAPI, so it was using the default cdecl convention. The strange thing was that this error only manifested itself in this special case. I would have thought using the wrong calling convention would have given an error the first time the method was called, but no. Anyway, after installing Win98 and countless of resets after each minimal code change I finally found the error.

The complete list of changes since 1.5:

- It is now possible to navigate the menu using the arrow keys again
- You can now quit the game by pressing ESC repeatedly
- The color quality in the graphics options can now be set to auto in which case the best available format is chosen
- The game no longer says it can render in windowed mode if it is not possible in current desktop resolution
- Textures are converted to 16bit if the card doesn't support 32bit textures
- Fixed bug on Win98 that made the computer freeze when going fullscreen
- Removed memory leaks when closing the game

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and patience testing the changes. It's because of you that the game is now almost bug free.

The next release I make will be because of new features, and not for bug fixing.

nonpop:

When I implement customizable action keys I will allow key modifiers as well. Thanks for the input.

[edited by - WitchLord on April 4, 2004 8:17:55 PM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Hi
Quite Addictive game I must say. Managed to score 700 on my first shot. Worked fine on my config |FX5600/WinXPProSP1/AthlonXP2400+/nForce2/1G RAM| . but the game could use some more spicing up like background textures and music i didnt like the fact that bricks keep floating even though i expected them to fall. apart from that a classic. must speed up the adrenaline in it though. needs a racy feel like the marbles game in Plus! or Zuma. How about adding special bricks like those that can explode or those that can be moved about or those that can change color?

Cheers

Jayanth.K
Raptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.raptorentertainment.com

[edited by - EddHead on April 5, 2004 5:09:31 AM]
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
700? You''ll have to practice some more I''ve managed a little over 4000 on the small tower. Although any proof would only be possible when I''ve implemented the online highscore list.

Yes, the game could use a lot of spicing up. Graphics and music are not my strong point though so I opted for a cleaner user interface. But I have plans to write a second version of Tower that will be much more rich in both graphics and music. I will add graphics to give better visual feedback to what the player does, for example pretty particle effects when removing blocks etc. The music would increase in speed as the level increases adding a more urging feel to the player.

I could add special blocks like the ones you mentioned to another mode. I rather like this "classic" mode where the rules are much simpler.

The blocks don''t fall down as they are "glued" together, they will only fall down if you remove support on all sides.

Thanks for the feedback. And I''m happy you liked the game even though it is rather simple.

Regards,
Andreas

Worked fine on my PC:

Win XP, P4 2.66, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9000 64 MB

there you go great game by the way very creative.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
Thanks for those kind words. And thanks for the system info.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement