GDC 2004 Impressions?

Started by
48 comments, last by Ferretman 20 years ago
Heck, Eric... he came up once or twice in the ones YOU ran... but we never doubted his existance. That means he came up ELSEWHERE as well!

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Brian Reynolds talk was certainly interesting, but the fact that ne linked AI to initial prototyping is due to his single player roots. It''s certainly possible to do initial prototyping in a multiplayer environment - in fact, I would go so far as to say it''s a better environment. Humans will do more unpredictable things than an AI will do.

Most certainly - I think he was actually making a point that AI prototyping could be done without multiplayer, given that most people (including myself) are now relying on multiplayer to build the AI if it''s possible.
quote:Original post by Timkin
Speaking of the GDC...and the roundtables... I found out tonight that I somehow rated a mention during one of the roundtables... but that it might have been decided that I don''t actually exist! Okay, you''ve found me out... I''m just a well written perl script and my try pseudonym is in fact, Timkin.pl!

Just call me Timbot!

That was one of our roundtables, Timkin! We took special pains to mention you at the "AI for Beginners" roundtable and this forum too.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

GameAI.Com

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

quote:Original post by Ferretman
We took special pains to mention you at the "AI for Beginners" roundtable and this forum too.

So I''ve been promoted from Noob to Beginner? Awesome!
quote:Original post by Timkin
So I''ve been promoted from Noob to Beginner? Awesome!

It''s conditional on you actually showing up one of these years.

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

While I enjoyed the roundtables I attended as a whole, I found the AI ones to be frustrating.

It seemed a lot of the things being said were argumentative, and its not really a practical medium to hold debates as such. Well at least for the size of the roundtables.

Perhaps the smoothest roundtable I attended was one on multiplayer tips & tricks of the trade.

- - - -

My impression is similar to InnocuousFox''s regarding the level of knowledge about AI that attendees had. Except I would say that of those who spoke, only two or three seemed to have studied AI in-depth. However I think it paints too bleak a picture to say that the roundtables attracted a lot of noobs.

Rather they attracted a lot of people who weren''t up for discussions, and so listened instead. I wouldn''t guess where they are at in the AI arena.

Although perhaps the environment would have been friendlier to discussion if a couple of the more outspoken individuals didn''t dominate the floorspace and circumvent the moderator in acquiring the floorspace to speak.

regards,

GeniX

www.cryo-genix.net
regards,GeniXwww.cryo-genix.net
Most of the really interesting discussion actually happened at the AI dinner :-)

That was quite enjoyable, and the organisers should be thanked again. I hope next years venue proves just as good.

regards,

GeniX

www.cryo-genix.net
quote:Original post by GeniX
Although perhaps the environment would have been friendlier to discussion if a couple of the more outspoken individuals didn''t dominate the floorspace and circumvent the moderator in acquiring the floorspace to speak.

No kidding. We are, perhaps, thinking of the same person in one major instance? While he was knowlegable, it was a bit over the top at times. *sigh*

Blogs I write:

quote:Original post by GeniX
Most of the really interesting discussion actually happened at the AI dinner :-)

That was quite enjoyable, and the organisers should be thanked again. I hope next years venue proves just as good.
I have to agree there... although I''m trying to figure out who YOU are.

Blogs I write:

I think I would be thinking er.. of that person, yes.

I would probably be one of those noobs you speak of. While I have implemented neural networks, some pathing algorithms and dabbled in some other stuff, I certainly don''t keep up to date on AI. Even though I work on a game which could involve quite challenging team AI, I haven''t had much to do with the AI in it either.

- - - -

One particular discussion I had, which was quite good, was with a student on the way over to the AI dinner. Having been to the talk on APF''s, I suddenly started getting some vague ideas on how they could be applied to individual agents when some group behaviour is nessecary.

We had quite an interesting discussion on whether it could give good flocking dynamics (with birds still flying through each other, but its the general look of it which IMO counts the most for games). I think some good techniques can be used to make the flock, or sections of it swoop down in nice arcs like birds often do and then rejoin the flock. The flock can easily be given direction and a visual sense of purpose with well-placed APF''s.

Of particular interest were some of the sneakier techniques proposed at the end of the talk on APFs with tangents to the field, agents possibly creating small temporary APF''s around them or in their wake.

The discussion quickly moved on to RTS games involving groups of units and what sorts of results might be gotten from either the groups, the world, or the enemy being able to generate APF''s that may not even be based around a point.

I was meaning to do some test implementations when I got home, but you know how it is. The energy and enthusiasm wanes as normal life returns

regards,

GeniX

www.cryo-genix.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement