Game Programming Gems AI articles

Started by
16 comments, last by Geta 23 years, 6 months ago
[shameless plug alert!] Two of the frequent posters to this forum, Ferretman (Steve Woodcock) and Geta (Eric Dybsand), have articles covering AI topics, published in the GameDev.net Featured Book - "Game Programming Gems". Reviews at amazon.com and barnesandnobles.com are all positive. This book is worth checking out! [end shameless plug] Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion ... Eric
Advertisement
I was going to get this book eventually, but I think I might get it sooner now!
What is your topic area?
i ordered this book a couple of weeks ago, and am still waiting for it to arrive
it really seems worth it from what i''ve heard about it
quote:Original post by Gorky

What is your topic area?

"A Generic Finite State Machine in C++"

All comments are appreciated.

Eric
quote: Original post by Gorky

What is your topic area?

And mine was "A Simple Flocking Implementation"--togther with code and demo, of course.

Actually, this raises an interesting sub-topic. There's a lot of talk already about a followup book--anybody here have any specific suggestions on ideas for AI chapters for the next one? I'm currently planning a followup on the flocking stuff (this time with obstacle avoidance and predator/prey behavior) and a chapter on Influence Maps (if you don't know what those are, taking a look at the Influence Mapping thread over on my web site).

What else would folks like to see, assuming we do another book?

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
http://www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado

Edited by - Ferretman on September 22, 2000 1:50:08 AM

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
GameAI.Com

I''d like to buy the book, but... it is a bit expensive, though I think it is definitely worth the price. Maybe I will sometime, but I''m still waiting for the "Humane Interface" I ordered 5 weeks ago.

-Jussi
I''ve heard alot about that book. But what really blows is that I''m only interested in the AI part. Why buy an expensive book if you''re only going to read a fraction of it?
Mr. Ferretman,

I''m currently writing a operational wargame on Eastern Front (1941 - 1945) and I would really appreciate a bit of more AI for this type of game. I chapter or two on writing wargames would be a dream come true. Here is what I would like to see:

1) Supply...how to handle supply and algorithm

2) Level of command - strategic (general goal driven ?)
Example: Russian 62nd Army figures out
that they have to defend Stalingrad and
then issues specific orders to its
Divisions

- Tactical (victory objectives driven ?)
Divisions do the fighting and tactics
(assaults, flanking attack) on their own

3) Movment system

4) Combat system (using CRTs)

I know that wargames market is getting smaller but i was thinking that strategy games in general could use this as well...

What do you think ?

Thanks...

Peter Fisla

PS: I''m currently waiting for my book of Game Programming Gems

PS2: If anyone knows where I could find more info on the mentioned topics on the internet please let me know thanks
I ''m a newbie in AI programming. and I would like to find
a good AI book in C or C++ ,would you please to advice me ??
quote:Original post by Peter Fisla

Mr. Ferretman,

I''m currently writing a operational wargame on Eastern Front (1941 - 1945) and I would really appreciate a bit of more AI for this type of game. I chapter or two on writing wargames would be a dream come true. Here is what I would like to see:

1) Supply...how to handle supply and algorithm

2) Level of command - strategic (general goal driven ?)
Example: Russian 62nd Army figures out
that they have to defend Stalingrad and
then issues specific orders to its
Divisions

- Tactical (victory objectives driven ?)
Divisions do the fighting and tactics
(assaults, flanking attack) on their own

3) Movment system

4) Combat system (using CRTs)

I know that wargames market is getting smaller but i was thinking that strategy games in general could use this as well...

What do you think ?

Thanks...

Peter Fisla

PS: I''m currently waiting for my book of Game Programming Gems

PS2: If anyone knows where I could find more info on the mentioned topics on the internet please let me know thanks

Hey Peter:

Those are some good ideas, especially the one on supply algorithms. I don''t think there was anything in the current book along those lines.

I hope you''ll like the book when it shows up. It was a lot of work for everybody, but it turned out really well. Some of the best in the industry did chapters--heck, it''s probably worth it for the A* and 3D sections alone!

As far as more info goes, you might have some luck checking out links and resources from my game AI page (below).

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
http://www.gameai.com

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
GameAI.Com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement