Books for a young programmer?

Started by
9 comments, last by LostSoul 24 years, 4 months ago
I would recommend (if you want to make 3d with DirectX)

3d game programming with c++

And then if you want to support OpenGL you have these books (in the order of importance IMHO) too:

* Opengl Programming for Windows 95 and Windows Nt by Ron Fosner
* Opengl Programming Guide : The Official Guide to Learning Opengl, Version 1.2 by Mason Woo
* Opengl Reference Manual : The Official Reference Document for Opengl, Release 1

These 3 books are published by
Addison-Wesley Pub Co

And for general windows programming:
* Programming Windows 95 (Microsoft Programming Series) by Charles Petzold
------------------
The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

[This message has been edited by errand (edited December 22, 1999).]

Death is lifes way saying your fired.
Advertisement
Well C by Disection is a good book, they used that in my old college to teach the fundamentals of C. The best C++ book I know of is called C++ Primer Plus by Wait Group Press. It's encyclopedia sized but it's GREAT!!! Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus is also an amazing book. Other than those I'd suggest "Code Complete" from microsoft press. This book is one just about every single programmer worth their salt has on their book shelf. That's about all I can think of for good books. Although you might want to look into getting some math, and physics books but I can't recommend any of those. Good Luck
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
LostSoul, I think you are really starting off on the right track. I also started out with Waite's C++ Interactive course online book (the ezone one). From there, I went on to Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schildt and The Awesome Power of Direct3D/DirectX by Peter Kovach. Now, I am currently reading Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. TotWGPG is great but lacks 3D programming stuff. You have to wait for the second volume - that is my only complaint. Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Sherman http://hitw.spedia.net

_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
As always, you can check our books sections for reviews and recommendations.
Good it sounds like my programming books aren't too bad!!! I am just using my dads old books he got from a class he took. I guess I won't have to buy any new books then... Thanks for all the input.

------------------
LostSoul

LostSoul
These are the books I own and use regularly:

The C++ Programming Language, Bjarne Stroustrup

Code Complete, Steven McDonnell

Programming Windows, 5th Edition, Charles Petzold

I'm planning on picking up:
Computer Graphics, Principles and Practice, Foley and Van Damm

Algorithms in C++, Sedgewick

What is the Code Complete book written on? Is it about forming readable code?

------------------
LostSoul

LostSoul
Code Complete isn't about writing readable code. It's about writing Good Code. It addresses problems even before you experiance them, and shows resolutions to those problems.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
I am going to have to reccomend

The C++ Programming Language, by Bjarne Stroustrup.

Although I haven't read it yet it sounds like a great book by the creator of c++ himself. I hear it defines every feature of the language!
Good Luck
JMHO

Any input on good books to pick up for game programming?

Here is a list of the books I have:

C by Dissection The Essentials of C Programming (Al Kelley and Ira Pohl ISBN: 0-8053-3149-2)

C++ Interactive Course (By Waite.com ISBN: Can't be found

And I have on order from amazon Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus : Fundamentals of 2D and 3D Game Programming (By: Andre Lamothe)

Heh I know its small, but I am only 16 and just now starting out.... any suggestions are welcome.

------------------
LostSoul

LostSoul

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement