Living AI Entity Online, a possibility?

Started by
73 comments, last by firefly2442 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello. I was just curious as to whether or not people thought it would be possible to create a kind of living entity online that existed soley off the network of computer users that is the internet. For example, everyone would download a client and each person contributes CPU and bandwidth, thus they become a small part of the whole (much like distributed computing). However, there would be no servers to connect to and get information, the clients would have to find other clients on their own and there would have to be enough people so that if one person dropped it and stopped running the client, the whole would not be substantially affected. What do you think? Is it possible?
http://www.rivetcode.com
Advertisement
sounds like skynet to me...[wink]
yep definitely possible. you're essentially talking about a Peer-to-peer (P2P) app whose sole responsibility is to run your "AI entity". writing a P2P app is definitely not easy, but you can start researching along how to do so and work from there. once you have the basic P2P functionality in place putting your own algorithm into the system should be pretty easy.

-me
wasnt there some hidden thing in the user agreement for kazza or one of those p2p programs that did just that?
there was a hidden disclaimer saying that while you use their software they are free to use your cpu to process stuff for them in the background

maybe it wasnt an AI, but same kinda setup...
You should write a P2P AI virus :)
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
Its possible to make AI run on a network, of course. The problem you would find is creating the "living" part. If you ever studied how computers actually work, you should notice how incredibly stupid they really are. It may be possible in the future to create computers that have emergent behavior or are even self aware, but so far nobody on the planet knows how.
Quote:Original post by Nuget5555
sounds like skynet to me...[wink]
More like Project 2501.
Quote:Original post by flangazor
More like Project 2501.

What is 2501?
Quote:Original post by boebi
Its possible to make AI run on a network, of course. The problem you would find is creating the "living" part. If you ever studied how computers actually work, you should notice how incredibly stupid they really are. It may be possible in the future to create computers that have emergent behavior or are even self aware, but so far nobody on the planet knows how.

Oh I know. Creating an AI is no easy task. But having something simple, even just a bunch of numbers that might represent DNA that can be passed around and modified. Anything to see that the computers are doing something to it and passing it along and networking it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the clients could find one another over the internet without a server to give them information?
http://www.rivetcode.com
Project 2501 is from Ghost in the Shell.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement