I can't make up my mind...

Started by
11 comments, last by Emil 24 years, 3 months ago
Stick with c++. Im having very little trouble with c++ even though it is my first language. i got the book 'Teach yourself c++ in 21 days." i read it slowly and about 6 months later (now) im about done. however i tried lots of demo projects and im now makeing a little game engine with DX7. Just make sure you thougharly understand everything you read before your move on to the next topic. Also dont go with c becuase it is the older language and therefor it probably easier. This is wrong (in my oppinion) difficulty wise from what ive seen (and I will admit my knowledge is not very vast) c++ is just as hard as c. Good luck learning what ever programming language you choose (though I suggest c++)!
Advertisement
Yes and no.

Yes: Most of the concepts you learn in the beginning are the same regardless of the language. Today's modern OO languages are not *vastly* different from each other.

No: Don't expect VB to be 10x easier. Learning to program is difficult, time-consuming, and frustrating, and there is no magic bullet. You may find that VB is just as hard, or harder, than C/C++, or more likely, that it shields you from the exact stuff you're trying to learn.

The important things are to not give up, stick with one language, set small goals, and make sure you truly understand a chapter before moving to the next one. Also, having a more experienced programmer around who can look at your work and give you tips is very helpful.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Well, I've developed business apps for a long time in VB. There are some great things you can learn in it, particularly concepts about Object orientated programming. Its a great place for a beginner to learn those 'concepts' because, well for one, it isn't a 'true' OO language(basically just forget about subclassing) but it provides a nice friendly structure for building it.

I myself just started learning C++ and Direct X, though I have played around withC++ for a while, I'm starting to really tackle it a bit more energetically, and I'm finding it pretty straightforward - but that's mostly due to understanding Windows API and OO programming in general. Those are probably the most challenging concept for any beginning programmer to get.

If you want to do game programming learn C++. If you want to do tools programming learn VB. I use both for what they are good for: C++ - games, VB - tools/GUI apps.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I think that the easiest way to learn to program in c++ is to do it. Read the book one chapter at a time and then try to program a demo program of the concept in that chapter after you have finished it. This is what I did after many attempts at learning the language and it seemed to help very much.

[This message has been edited by Ranok (edited December 11, 1999).]

---Ranok---
I would suggest that you stick with C++ as it is really not too difficult as you might think. I started programming in C++ when I was quite young and you can imagine how perplexing it was for me at that time (since it was my first real venture into programming). My tip is to expect not too understand everything the first time around and try to just understand the overall concept. If you keep on programming and reading, you will eventually find that you will build up your understanding on previous enigmas. Finally, please feel free to visit my website and get some basic tutorials on C++:
http://hitw.spedia.net

Best regards,
Sherman

_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
As someone said above:
It isn't easy to learn programming!

If you don't understand C++ start /w C (which doesn't use OO), but be warned C i not considerably simpler than C++. If you want something really easy, start /w Pascal, although Pascal is very old and hardly any (if any at all) serious programs are written in Pascal nowadays.

A good way to learn (if you know a little about programming) is reading the docs and helpfiles of your compiler and trying to figure out, what the commands mean and do.

If you have no idea about any form of programming look for tutored courses offered by companys all over the world!
This won't be cheap, but if you're really interested it's worth its money!

------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
One thing to add. You should read a lot of code. I read everything I see and try to understand it.
Look at this:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000614.html
Ok, at first I wanted to start out learning C++. So I bought two books, "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup and "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel. But the review at Amazon.Com was right, it said "a beginner will need 60 seconds to get lost in The C++ Programming Language." Then I tried to start with C, but no luck there to. So now I'm down to Visual Basic...
what should I do, Should I try C again or will VB help me in any way when I'm learning C++?
Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement