Collaborative Game Story Survey

Started by
838 comments, last by Andrew Russell 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Estok
just going to add on to the ideas.

For the geography I don't think that it should be too much like earth, I would favor more exotic landscape such as floating waterfalls, crystallized forests, vast cold deserts, natural landscapes that are surreallingly spectacular. Behind the beautiful landscape would lie the scars of the planet, resulting from natural and man-made catastrophies. On one side of the coin is the seeming recuring tragedies that ended each civilization on earth due to their own selfishness, but on the other side of the coin is the never ending hope and reincarnation that brings out the best in mankind.

:/

is this what you meant by environmentalism? what you don't want?

I kind of like the idea of how earth endured many catastropies, and how every time it reincarnates into something more beautiful and meaningful, how tragedies and mistakes are not meant to be forgotten or be regreted, but be transcended to strengthen one's spirit.

By environmentalism I mean the idea that technology is bad and people will selfishly destroy themselves and/or the earth. I personally believe that tragedies and mistakes are meant to be learned from, fixex, and in future avoided, not endured and transcended; humans are meant to be both spiritual(in more of a new age/philosophical way than an organized religion way) and technological. I'm all for an exotic landscape as long as nobody suggests it would be more beautiful without humans - beauty is in the eye of the beholder,the earth wouldn't be beautiful if there weren't any intelligent beings here to appreciate it.

That's why I want to see these two races we're developing presented as equal (not one greedy and aggressive) and living together in communities that have a blend of magical and scientific technologies. Although I do like 5minutegaming's idea that the two races could meet during the story and the player could shape the relationship between them maybe by matchmaking an interspecies couple?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Quote:Sunandshadow:
I personally believe that tragedies and mistakes are meant to be learned from, fixed, and in future avoided, not endured and transcended.

Agreed, that is what the hope part is. Individuals would try to fix and avoid problems. But in the grand scale, everything that begins must have an end. Tragedies and mistakes can never be avoided or fixed completely despite the best efforts of individuals. Inevitably history would repeat, and the world cycled between the states of peace and chaos. It is in this sense that earth has endured these changes, manifested in how new seeds always sprout from the battered land, how wounds are transformed into something more beautiful, and how beneath the beautiful landscape scars are never complete healed, to allow the new sprouts to learn and to ponder.

I am not suggesting the world is more beautiful without human. It is a zen like relationship, in which the beauty was made possible by the tragedies of human races. It kind of goes with the idea that one cannot truly appreciate happiness without feeling pain.

Quote:That's why I want to see these two races we're developing presented as equal (not one greedy and aggressive)

yea, two contrasting races seem too simplistic.

so we want two races and human. would someone name the races for easier references?

Since the game has multiple endings there can be many interpretations of who the alien races are and who the humans are right? :) Assuming that different endings also involve different explanations, where the ending of the game reveals both the beginning and the end about the story.

should we make a list of relationships about the three races and the planet?

It seems that the current relationship is this:
Planet: Earth
Human: Survivors of some sort
Spiritual: Evolved human race
Techno: Alien researchers

Elaborated:
Planet: Earth
Human: Survivors
Spiritual: Shapeshifters forced to migrate, took human bodies for their own survival on earth, later evolved and lost some of their higher spiritual abilities
Techno: Aliens looking for a new home

It can also be this:
Planet: Spiritual's homeworld
Human: Shapeshifters that conquered the planet long time ago, took the Spiritual race's body for their own survival
Spiritual: Evolved natives of the planet
Techno: Aliens researchers that were originally sent to uncover the shapeshifting ability

Or:
Planet: Techno's homeworld
Human: Inhabitants and survivors
Spiritual: Alien race that brought human to the planet
Techno: returned emigrants

[Edited by - Estok on September 2, 2004 3:07:24 AM]
I personally like the third setting better than the other two. But, I think that the other two options do have an interesting twist that could be thrown into the story.

What about this though as an idea.
Planet: Spiritual's homeworld
Human: Human's who were abducted by the Techno race and brought to this planet
Spiritual: Evolved humans (caused by the planet)
Techno: Abducted the humans originally and after a long past war with the Spiritual race they co-exist peacefully

About the human characters. I like the idea that they should experience amnesia, but here's something that could sort of add to the players learning about the past of the planet. That the cryogenically frozen humans had memories imbedded before they were frozen about what had happened in the past (that causes an overload for their brains which is the reason for their amnesia). They can slowly regain their *memories* and that will cause the player to see more about the planet.
--Ter'Lenth
Well, as far as the enviromental it seems we have a little disagreement as to which planet that we're on. I don't like the idea of a culturally advanced civilization clinging to any specific planet as their homeworld. The homeworld would be that of the individual and where that individual was born so I think that it should be the former planet Earth completely changed as far as geography is concerned there will be either underwater remnants of human civilization or burried artifacts or both.

It should no longer be called earth and the player should be given as little hints as possible that it could be earth. One of the main features of the game is the mystery coupled with the romance. I think that we could also add in what Terlenth suggested about stored memories although we should keep the memory implants to a minimum or make it so you have to find the other humans who have been put in cryostasis in order to trigger the memory. Or have it so that the memories are triggered by touching human artifacts. And of course we make this all unknown to the user so that they have to figure out that they even have flashbacks. One thing about amnesia is that you really don't know that your missing anything its just simply not accessible by your brain and the links are just cut off.

Further about the aliens history the more spiritual race we have astablished as being evolved from humanity in some way. I like the wings idea. I have drawn a conceptual art piece merging a human with wings an tail and a neck that look similar to those in 'Star Wars' Episode II. Hehehehe its a pretty hilarious picture I'll post it once I can get it scanned in. However, the technological race I think should have a completely different evolutionary path. And thus have an alien body. There should also be a number of creatures that each alien race has brought to this 'new planet'.

I'm more for the fact that these two races settled the planet about the same time and they have colonized many other planets before this one. The aliens themselves come from many different planets and worlds and have decided to travel and colonize the planet. They could possibly bring with them ways of terreforming that involve such things as graden cities in the sky underwater towns, cities in a volcano etc.
I agree that earth should be where the story takes place. Hints to where it takes place should come in a few forms with no single find reveling where it is. Hints would include:

Buildings:
Part of the dome on the capitial building
The Clock from big ben
parts from other great monuments that if you saw them, you would never think of them comming from their respecive monuments, however upon the relization that your on earth you would know where they came from. (So know finding the statue of liberty)

Artifacts:
Common items desk, beds, lighting nothing one would thing would not exist on another planet.

The idea that the Spiritual race came from hummans is an insteresting one, however I don't think that they should simply evolved to have wings, tails, ect. When born telling them apeart from a humman should be imposible however through their spiritual training gain wings, possibly a third eye and other markings.

Just me
I think both the spiritual and technological races should be evolved from humans. Having them be born looking like humans but differ as they grow up is a interesting idea, this is how I did things in the design of _Gimmie Those Wings_, but in this case it might be counter-productive to making the human pc seem isolated and alone.

How about themes, does anyone have any ideas for what themes we want to explore in this game? I should have had that as a category on the survey, I suppose, but it was getting long enough as it was...

[Edited by - sunandshadow on September 2, 2004 12:57:15 PM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hey! Hmmm, theme... this is a toughy.

Earlier I was suggesting emotional self realization, but I realize how overdone that is. I think I'm pretty stuck on theme, but one good idea I have works well with the plot. Maybe the main character/s decided to be frozen to escape their present, to escape their wold or their guilts. This can work well with guilt and emotional struggle.

That's all I have for now, but I figured I might as well throw that one out there.

-TJ
Sorry, that last one was me!

-IVHumble Student

About theme:
Guilt is a good theme I think, it fits with how earth redeems the land, and how individual also seek redemption.

About the different settings:
There is no conflicts between different planet/races settings. In the beginning of the game, the player is presented with one set of settings. But as the game progresses the player will discover the true settings (the mystery). The way I see it, the starting setting in the plot should support all good possible final settings. For example, all five settings described so far can be presented originally as the planet is somewhat transformed earth, and seemingly human were the natives of the planet.

It depends on whether the setting itself is part of the mystery. Having multiple endings, I think that the game can present many mysteries, that the player won't be able to solve all them in a single path. They will have to replay it to solve for all of them.

Incorporating the Game+ feature, maybe there should be ONE truth. The multiple settings mentioned can be layers of theories that will be presented to the player one cryo (those frozen human) at a time. Each ending would be correct, but only show part of the truth, leaving unexplained areas for the next cryo.
I agree with you Estok about having one truth and the different humans being awoken to have a different take on that truth giving the player an exra thought process after the game is completed such as adding all the different endings together to get the full truth of the past.

Also about the theme, well I think that the theme should be how the human race is not completely everlasting and that if there was something to come after humanity I(the player) would want a legacy would want something to be said about us to be remembered.

Also there should be a theme which I have been thinking about for a while. The theme that humans with their technology and learning ability could gain enough knowledge to spawn other races and to be like and elder race. And that not all that humans have done to earth was completely wasteful. Also that the human race can be noble with a lot of suffereing and hardwork humans could put right all that they have wronged.

Such as the killing of their own kind could be put right by giving millions of different species a chance to live and breath and uncover the endless secrets of the universe.

Thats just an idea let me know what you all think about it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement