Debug problems

Started by
20 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 8 months ago
v1.9.0 Until recently, I've just been using a retail build of the angelscript.lib. My game seemed to be working great. But I just tried making a debug compile of everything, and now my program cant even run... What I am wondering is what sort of things might be causing this assert to occur:

Assertion failed: tempVariables.GetLength() == 0, file d:\co
de\angelscript_1_9_0\source\as_compiler.cpp, line 364

// This is where AS was at the time:
Lands.exe!_NMSG_WRITE(int rterrnum=10)  Line 195	C
Lands.exe!abort()  Line 44 + 0x7	C
Lands.exe!_assert(const char * expr=0x0055e928, const char * filename=0x0055e870, unsigned int lineno=364)  Line 306	C
Lands.exe!asCCompiler::CompileStatementBlock(asCScriptNode * block=0x01211698, bool ownVariableScope=false, bool * hasReturn=0x0012f1e7, asCByteCode * bc=0x0012f1d4)  Line 364 + 0x27	C++
Lands.exe!asCCompiler::CompileFunction(asCBuilder * builder=0x01065a80, asCScriptCode * script=0x01070b98, asCScriptNode * func=0x0120d090)  Line 208	C++
Lands.exe!asCBuilder::CompileFunctions()  Line 245 + 0x38	C++
Lands.exe!asCBuilder::Build()  Line 119	C++
Lands.exe!asCModule::Build(asIOutputStream * out=0x00570f50)  Line 98 + 0xb	C++
Lands.exe!asCScriptEngine::Build(const char * module=0x00000000, asIOutputStream * out=0x00570f50)  Line 188	C++
Lands.exe!CSScripting::InitAngelScript()  Line 196 + 0x1c	C++
Lands.exe!CSScripting::Reload()  Line 76	C++
Lands.exe!Refresh()  Line 146	C++
Lands.exe!main()  Line 83	C++
Lands.exe!mainCRTStartup()  Line 259 + 0x19	C
kernel32.dll!7c816d4f() 	
ntdll.dll!7c915b4f() 	
kernel32.dll!7c8399f3() 	

Advertisement
You've discovered a situation where the compiler allocates a temporary variable to hold an object but doesn't release again as it should. This may make the script function use more stack memory than it really needs, but otherwise the release version should not have any problem.

Would it be possible for you to narrow down your script in order to find what kind of statement it is that causes the assert failure? I would very much like to fix this bug, but without an example that reproduces it I would only be fumbling in the dark.

Oh, if you have a need to use the debug version, but can't wait for the bug fix you could just comment out this assert statement.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote:Original post by Desdemona
v1.9.0

What I am wondering is what sort of things might be causing this assert to occur:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I encountered the same when I used ternary '?' operator with bstr-s (see my another post).

Cheers,
RCL
Desdemona:

RCL bug report

Are you also using the ternary operator '?:' ? Could it be that you have found the same bug?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Ok, thanks for the information. I applied the patch to the CompileCondition method, but asserts were still failing. I started to get the following assert: "Assertion failed: n < destructors.GetLength(), file d:\code\angelscript_1_9_0\source\as_bytecode.cpp, line 316" while in GenerateExceptionHandler.

I had a little over a dozen script files, so I stripped it down to the bare minimum to run and went from there. It turns out the problem was with the ?: operator after all.

This does not work:

void toggle_option(Data* pPlayer, string mode, string enable, string disable){	bool cur = pPlayer->TestFlag(mode, "true");	pPlayer->SetAttributeBase(mode, (cur ? "false" : "true"));	sendto(pPlayer, "\x1B[0;37m" + (cur ? disable : enable) + "\r\n");}

I changed it so it didn't use the ?: operator and it worked:
void toggle_option(Data* pPlayer, string mode, string enable, string disable){	if (pPlayer->TestFlag(mode, "true"))	{		pPlayer->SetAttributeBase(mode, "false");		sendto(pPlayer, "\x1B[0;37m" + disable + "\r\n");	}	else	{		pPlayer->SetAttributeBase(mode, "true");		sendto(pPlayer, "\x1B[0;37m" + enable + "\r\n");	}}

The two assert failures are likely connected to each other. I'll see if I can fix the other one as well soon.

I'm sorry for not fixing this one quickly. I didn't have time before now to look at the problem.

I've been able to reproduce the error in my test_framework and it looks like the problem really isn't with the ternary operator :? after all. At least not only with it.

The following test case also fails with the same assertion:

// AngelScriptstring a;void Test(string strA){  a = strA;}

Hopefully I'll have the fix ready in a few hours.

I believe I've fixed the bug you discovered with the latest WIP. Would you mind verifying if that is the case?

Thanks,
Andreas

Yes, it is fixed. Your my hero. ;)
Actually, I'm not sure. I had a complete brain shutdown and testeded it without even installing WIP1. ;) For some reason, it worked when I tried it; odd. I just compiled my project /w WIP1 but it is failing to allocate the script engine at the moment. Strange...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement