Must RPGs have a story?

Started by
94 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 5 months ago
HAHA! Naz, that wasn''t me.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Hmmm...that AP really smelled like a Landfish, but I couldn''t imagine you talking about a game w/ no story like that.

Well, I take back my statement about Landfish having original ideas then j/k

Well, whoever that AP was, nice ideas

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Thank you.

Now let''s expand on them.
I like the idea of some non-story goal. It frees the player to have loose experiences w/out the potential constictions of a conhesive story.

Perhaps, the player could choose from 3 or 4 goals allowing more replayabiltity. One goal could be material wealth while another could be for power another could be knowledge.

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I say that you could have lots of goals that satisfy winning conditions, and then let the player decide which they think the goal is. Like finding out who they are, slaughtering every goblin in sight, saving the goblin population, slaughtering the human pop...disease (gaia hypothesis ), or overruling either population... or another...

Hmmm,

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Yeah I like that much better, dwarf

Just thinking about your ''general'' concequences to story events Naz (and about Delisk''s memory game) and I was thinking that if you enter in the wrong combination, then you fall into a dungeon which you must find your way out of. You would find yourself out in some other part of the country/world when you get out and you would continue to a different end...

I am thinking now that the idea has merit

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I can''t believe a person would actually deface the true essence of the RPG game genre! The is only one type of classic RPG: the one with the amazing storyline and characters. It''s unfortunate that some people believe that by taking the storyline out of some great game, for instance, Final Fantasy 7, you can make a better game and that this messed pile of characters suspended in space with no beginning and end to their quest is also a great way to portray emotion and personality of a character (hence "role-playing")through conflicts with many differents forces. WRONG!!! The true thoughts of a character can NOT be expressed without a storyline and it would be pointless to attempt to put a character in an evironment that doesn''t develope and to expect the character to develope aside from non-existant plot. (Ex: In FF7, the storyline was what drove the Shinra company to eventually die off, it was the storyline which brought meteor hurdling toward the suffering planet, and it was the storyline which led the pyscho, Sepiroth, to kill Aeris, the last living of the Cetra. Everything in the game was connected to the storyline, and without one, I''m sure, FF7 would be the shame of Square right now).
I can''t believe a person would actually deface the true essence of the RPG game genre! The is only one type of classic RPG: the one with the amazing storyline and characters. It''s unfortunate that some people believe that by taking the storyline out of some great game, for instance, Final Fantasy 7, you can make a better game and that this messed pile of characters suspended in space with no beginning and end to their quest is also a great way to portray emotion and personality of a character (hence "role-playing")through conflicts with many differents forces. WRONG!!! The true thoughts of a character can NOT be expressed without a storyline and it would be pointless to attempt to put a character in an evironment that doesn''t develope and to expect the character to develope aside from non-existant plot. (Ex: In FF7, the storyline was what drove the Shinra company to eventually die off, it was the storyline which brought meteor hurdling toward the suffering planet, and it was the storyline which led the pyscho, Sepiroth, to kill Aeris, the last living of the Cetra. Everything in the game was connected to the storyline, and without one, I''m sure, FF7 would be the shame of Square right now). The RPG experience is not like reading a book. It''s like living a fantasy with a host of unique individuals whom you control to drive the story forward. This experince can affect your mind critically in many ways, stimulating your imagination with the story of another world or realm (in essence, a fantasy). To say that an RPG MUST have a story is key because like the characters in those classic RPG''s we struggle with something and find a way to express it through their experinces.They are an important tool to finding our own faults, but, without a plot, they are simply pretty piles of garbage with no expression. Don''t take the life out of RPG''s!!!
Good. I'm glad there are still a few people out there who completely miss the point.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 1, 2000 5:29:50 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement