SDL - Too slow

Started by
36 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 19 years, 1 month ago
shouldn't matter what image format you use, they all turn into the same thing (SDL_Surface) in the end.
Advertisement
I have no idea
What do you use 'screen' for?
Quote:Original post by Think128
What do you use 'screen' for?

excuse me?
I thinking that the SDL has a very lot of problem about the hardware surface, that because I can understand the problem under GNU/Linux (my platform at home), but I can't understand why I have the same problem under Windows (I talking about laptop with Radeon 9000).
So I prefer start to use Allegro instead the SDL, because I have problem with the frame rate since I started to use the SDL.
I've a news
The project uses the hardware surface but still goes at 32 fps

[Edited by - NighTiger on March 4, 2005 6:44:10 AM]
Your orignal code has a surface called 'screen' that is 640x480x32. I was just curious how that fit into the program.
First off, the hardware you're using is anything but blazing fast, it's an ATI Radeon Mobility. They're slow. (Especially for 2D) Secondly, you DO NOT need a larger surface than your drawing area, since (like was said before) simply learn to program and you can avoid drawing those items that shouldn't be onscreen whatsoever. (This will also speed rendering up.)
Since noone else seems to have a clue, SDL_UpdateRects is used for doing dirty rectangle updates, this is much faster than a standard Blit, but can only be used in certain instances. Please, for God's sake, read the SDL documentation. I've been using SDL for less than 2 weeks and I know this information. Just stop being lazy, and actually do your own work. Good luck.
When will people stop bashing SDL for being slow just because they don't know how to use it? It seems like there's always a post in this forum where somebody is saying SDL is too slow and then it comes to light that they're loading their surfaces once per frame or somthing. SDL is not OpenGl fast, but if you have a pathetic FPS for a simple game, the chances are very good you're doing somthing wrong
You don't understand!
It's impossible that with only 3 surface you have something less 120 fps.

Anyway tnx for your "advice"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement