Ten games every designer should play

Started by
224 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 12 years ago
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Not a single sports game on anyone's list. Interesting.

I don't have a list. I don't care what you have or haven't played; I care a whole lot more what questions you're asking, who you're talking to and what you're trying to do. In fact, I fear that some of this may be harmful because of the calcification that occurs from repeated exposure - overexposure? - to a similar design. For instance, there are dozens of number-crunching, stat-based "RPGs" on various lists, which increases the likelihood that you (the reader of these lists and player of these games) will create yet another number-crunching, stat-based RPG.

*yawn*

There's a much bigger audience out there that clearly hasn't been captivated by any of the games you've mentioned. Why? What do they want? How can we deliver it? Can we deliver it?

Those are the questions I would like to see asked, rather than serving the same answers up again and again.

I agree completely...

Monster Rancher, M.U.L.E., Grand Turismo, Mutant League Football, Robotron, Super Bomberman, Ikaruga, Dig Dug, Sim City, The Lurking Horror...there seems to be a huge variety of games overlooked on most peoples (far to RPG/RTS/FPS heavy) lists
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
6) Quest for glory 1-4 – PC - These enjoyable games are an excellent blend of adventure, rpg, and humor. With 3 different character types each possessing there own path through the game and methods for overcoming obstacles, make a lot more then you standard adventure game or rpg. Add to this the fact that you can bring your character along from one game into the next and you have one of the most enjoyable game series ever made.

Seconded. I'm a huge QFG fan--definately some of the finest games Sierra ever made (perhaps the finest?). In fact, I recently replayed 1-3, and am in the process of replaying QFG4.

Man, those were damn well made games.
Not a single sports game on anyone's list. Interesting.

Five sports games every designer should play

1. Hotshots Golf (ps1)
- The coolest golf game I've ever played
- Simple, yet entertaining and fun
2. Gran Tourismo 1 (ps1)
- Racing redefined
3. NBA Jam (sega/gameboy)
- First 'FUN' basketball game
- "Is it the shoes?", "He's on fire", and other great announcer quotes
4. Mutant League Football (sega)
- Football with a twist
- I'd love to see a 3D version of this!
5. Road Rash (Sega)
- Sports Bike racing with a twist

One thing that I have noticed is that the Sega Genesis console has had the most innovative games, IMO. I'm sure someone will argue me, but if you really look at all that has come from there, there has been some great stuff.

- Drew
I just feel the need to mention the game ...

X-COM UFO Defense

I love that game! Some guy was doing a 3d remake of this game at one point, I wonder what happened. :(
I agree with you all, mostly, but i think that your list should be made by genres, rather an all-around favourites..

For Sports, I would recommend:
the Gran Turismo series: an almost flawless series of simulation, with an ever improving physic engine, and always state-of-the-art graphics.
the Mario Kart series: just to see what one can achieve if he wants to make another kind of car games, an arcade style one.
The Winning Eleven series: just plain great football simulation, with interesting management features which are definitely NOT getting in the way of fun.
The latest EA simulations: for good examples of what a lust for good graphics and/or a juicy license can get someone to sacrifice in terms of gameplay and/or innovations.
NBA Jam or Alley Hoop: I second that, it was just a hugely funny game, with good enough a gameplay not to make you sorry you started to play after two minutes.

For RPGs, I would recommend:
The Bethesda Elder Scrolls series, because each one was just a jewel, with innovations that were highly despised, and highly praised as innovative. Huge possibilities in terms of stories and game evolution. Get lost and still love to play the game. You should be aiming for nothing less.
The Final Fantasy series: three absolutely increadible games in the very early days of consoles, and a legend was born. Good continuation, and some publicity, and a never-ending franchise was created. The only valuable game in the series that did not belong to the first three was the sixth, because it allowed you to end the game alone, in twenty-five minutes and still level five if you were witty and lucky. This is something I would like to see again in better looking more actual games. All the laters were mostly about graphics, and even the introduction of voices. Exemples of what cosmetics can get you.
The Zelda series: not exactly RPG but more Action/Reflection, the first two of the series on the NES are still played throughout the world, and some NERDs created some additional games to the series, including the extremely good Zelda: Solarus. What you want to do if you're not a paid programmer that still has high hopes for his products.
the Deus Ex series: for they blended happily RPG and FPS, creating something absolutely unheard of. Every game designer should dream of achieving something as innovative some day.
I would also like to give some examples of games which should NOT inspire you, like Nomad Soul. there was a game with david Bowie's music and correct graphics, but that had a story so twisted and a gameplay so horrible that even with the solution right under my nose, I have never been able to go further than two hours of play. Definitely something to look after, if anyone can uncover a copy. You might also want to uncover a whole pack of aspirin.

Another genre that is mostly overlooked lately, is platform games.
The Mario series: all of them, for always offering something new to the player, while always bringing back what most loved, or replacing the central them from the previous by something eve more extravagant and loveable. Something everybody should analyse, if he wants to produce series of products.
The Metroid series until the Prime evolution: for they were just immense, and fun, and had you riveted to your pad until yo had finished it, which could happen some two weeks later. And kept you riveted again each time you turned it on again. In one word, addictive.
The Spyro series: for they represent what is likeable about nowadays platform games, the twofold adventure. First, you try to finish the quest, then you enter the second quest of getting back ALL the items disseminated in the levels. Cute enough to get the attention of youngsters, and challenging enough to keep the older ones on their pads for hours on end, trying to reach that ultimate diamond they can see but not reach unless they behave perfectly. More than catchy, they are catching...
The RayMan series. Fun and still amusing.
The OddWorld series: great and innovative gameplay, with a deep story told through the levels you have to go through, you are always either chasing after something, or fleeing before something. And the addition of whistling and farting possibilities kept the younger players happy just standing there and having their pet fart all afternoon. Never underdestimate the power of gazes.

As for the RTS, you might as well want to throw in all you like, I have my favourites, but they are not absolute.
The Settlers series, just because they are complicated enough to keep you challenged, while cute enough not to let you throw your computer out of your window when stalemated.
Starcraft, because you won't find a better balanced game. They are History
The C&C RTS series, because they are part of History.
the Civilization series, because they made up some well balanced gameplays which sometimes forced you to modify your strategy on the fly. This is something you might want to do again. And again. And once more.
The "Ao" saga, including the "Age of Wonders" which should not belong there. Get a good system, a good graphic engine, and a good theme, and everybody is going to copy your game. Look at Star Wars Battlegrounds...

From there on, you should try to make your own,
Yours Faithfully,
Nicolas FOURNIALS
Why has no one mentioned metroid prime? That game was beautifully designed and told a story without any words being spoken at all.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
as i read through the threads i also saw noone mentioned metroid prime, until the previous post. anyways heres my list (no real order):

|||Metroid Prime||| - Best ever level design EVER! an absolute beauty for a single player FPS

|||COUNTER-STRIKE||| - this is the most beautiful online FPS every created, def can not be beaten (using steam). or Golden-eye for consoles, an awesome action game, ummm.

|||Diablo 2||| - Always different but never alien, sooo many hours of my life taken away, but so damn well worth it.

|||Age of Empires 2||| - very well balanced tacticle simple RTS game

|||Jumper Redux||| - free to download, VERY addictive, ULTRA challenging game. sorry if you lose your hair from ripping it out :P

|||Pokemon||| - Yes I've played it and damn is it good

|||Unreal Tournement 2004 (the demo lol)||| - have got the full game, but still think the demo has got everything so well done. this is a 'one idea' game, meaning there is one really impressive design concept thats never done before (i think), and everything else is the same but with just some personal modifications.
I don't have a list. I don't care what you have or haven't played; I care a whole lot more what questions you're asking, who you're talking to and what you're trying to do. In fact, I fear that some of this may be harmful because of the calcification that occurs from repeated exposure - overexposure? - to a similar design. For instance, there are dozens of number-crunching, stat-based "RPGs" on various lists, which increases the likelihood that you (the reader of these lists and player of these games) will create yet another number-crunching, stat-based RPG.

*yawn*

There's a much bigger audience out there that clearly hasn't been captivated by any of the games you've mentioned. Why? What do they want? How can we deliver it? Can we deliver it?

Those are the questions I would like to see asked, rather than serving the same answers up again and again.

This is a good point. While a lot of these games are very good, and I have played most of them, I think it's more important for game designers to play a larger variety of games than any set in particular. For example, I'm playing Unlimited Saga right now for PS2. It is extremely difficult, very confusing, and the controls are quite incomprehensible. However, getting past all of that, there are some really interesting game design ideas buried in it, and playing an RPG so different from most of the ones I'm used to is pretty cool. I can see things that are original and fun, and what doesn't work and isn't fun. Otherwise we risk getting stuck rehashing the same ideas all the time.

tj963
tj963
I guess all I'm meant to do is post my own top 10 list, ain't I? ;)

Although I'm going to go for different genres.

Do DonPachi
Warning Forever
Puyo Puyo
Bejeweled
Typing of the dead
Boulder Dash
Ikaruga
Metal Slug
Wiz'n'Liz
Lemmings

is all I could think of.
1. the Gothic-series:
---------------------

for having the most realistic and detailed sourrounding in an RPG you've ever seen. It's just fun to walk arround in the environment without doing anything particular to solve the story, just relaxing in the landscape.

2. Civilization:
----------------
You can learn from this game how to make people addicted to games. Very well balanced strategy-game which guides you through all stages of civilization.

3. Dangerous Dave:
------------------

Though absolutely stupid level-design it makes curious what next level will come.

4. Ultima 7:
------------

You can bake your own bread in this game :)

5. System Shock 2:
------------------

Normally I don't like sci-fi, but system shock has such a thrilling story, that I didn't want to stop playing.
www.gamelib.de -- Your source for game-development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement