Windows XP

Started by
514 comments, last by Facehat 22 years, 4 months ago
i hate microsoft and all its products.BUT i just love the games on pc.:-<,
actually i just wanted to be one to post the 500th post. :->
Advertisement
Yeah i heard on telly in UK that only 20% of people know how to set the time for record and even set the clock... :p
i agree with the second post by Null And Void a lot. but there''s a simple solution to all this:

USE LINUX

the only problem with linux is that there''s a LOT more software written 4 win. as soon as they make a free (or cheap) emulator, that emulates all .exe''s i need, i''ll switch to linux completely. othervise, install them both. :D and when more people switch to linux, more companies will make games/software for linux.

there r rumours that "linux is really advanced, and it''s hard to use. i''ll never be able 2 install it...". THAT IS SO NOT TRUE!!! linux is advanced, and there is a lot of stuff u can do, that u can''t on win, but that doesn''t make it harder. for everyday needs of word processing, etc. and etc. u don''t need to be an advanced user! that''s my opinion, so don''t flame. thanks.

thanks,
shurcool
Hi all.
My stepdad got us a new computer for Christmas and it''s running XP. I just wanted to say that it''s not SO bad but there are so many wizards and ''help'' things that I can''t figure out how to do stuff anymore! It seems xp hides a lot of stuff and the screen is so "busy" visually that sometimes it''s hard to find stuff.

On the plus side I have a very nice flat screen monitor!

BQ
"Working is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde
Well for one. XP sux!

<>
People, you're messed up here with non-proven ideas and misunderstood and wrong information (at least in first three pages of this thread).

What's very TRUE is: only THAT OS is good, WHICH you know better. Otherwise it's BAD OS, but ONLY for YOU. Try to think that way - you got a pen and a pencil. You've always been using the pen for your personal reasons (it goes smoother, it's more visible, more comfortable, etc). Some other person might prefer pencil (can be easily cleaned, less weight, etc, etc). That fact tells you that pen is good for YOU and pencil is good for another person and it's not intelligent to say "it sux" just because it does for you.

WinXP is basically same as W2k (NT 5.0), it just have beatiful interfaces (u can switch to old ones, though, if u don't have 3D video card). As any Win NT it can be configured to use less resources (disable some services).
I have WinXP Pro with Office XP and neither one *FORCES* (just ask, where I usually answer "no") me to register it. WinXP Home edition actually needs you to register it but after knowing what it is about I think... this OS is actually WORTH its price. Of course, for very poor people like me (), you can always download some Warez version off the internet or get it from your friend who downloaded it and that's only for Home use (in your office if you're good - can always argue with ur boss to get $$$ for system upgrade or ask your friend who is better talking to ppl than u). With all that, I think u got my point... Only stupid people lose, but again... if in doubt, ask your neighbor

Personally:
1) I dislike ppl who say Win9x / Me is good and W2k / XP (they usually don't know NT 4.0) suck... these ppl are considered fools by me (sorry 'bout that)
2) I don't use Linux (though I have it installed) 'cuz for what I do (programming, 3D modelling) it's pretty much useless. Besides it takes much more resources (right after install... of course u can configure it) than any Windows system and as I've seen it - it's very unstable and you have to manage processes from console (after its shell has crashed again). Anyway, it's good and unique for network servers (sorry M$... u have to work a lot harder on that...) And this GNU license "chaos" of Linux makes it even more messed up...
3) Of course I miss old DOS days, where I (as probably any programmer in these times) felt like a god of the whole system. Oh well... if I could just get back in time and never return
Still... I think M$ is doing ok to improve its products (XP actually IS changed from previous Windoze versions).

Many people hate Microsoft 'cuz it's somehow monopolistic, etc. For that, I agree with M$, 'cuz I don't have a heart of capitalist and I believe the Power must be at SINGLE person to prevent chaos.

Again, sorry if I offended somebody with what I said. That's only my opinion and it's actually normal if there'll be hundreds of ppl disagreeing with me. We, people, tend to get chaotic, unless someone (who's the least chaotic) guide us. That's the reason of differences in opinions.

- Lifepower

Edited by - Lifepower on January 7, 2002 8:58:52 PM
I hate to reply to this thread anymore, but...

quote:Original post by Lifepower
People, you''re messed up here with non-proven ideas and misunderstood and wrong information (at least in first three pages of this thread).

Check the date on those posts. That was a long time ago. More is now understood. I''m not arguing with your second paragraph, it seems rational. About your third and fourth: Warez is bad.

Now I get to return the claim that you''re inaccurate:
I don''t use Linux (though I have it installed) ''cuz for what I do (programming, 3D modelling) it''s pretty much useless.

Due to your lack of specification, you''re wrong. I think Linux (like all Unixes) is one of the best resources any programmer has. After I became used to using Linux my ability to write code has become much faster due to the true integration of the command line. I''m not going to argue your point about 3D modeling; I''m not an artist, so I''m not experienced enough to evaluate it honestly.

Besides it takes much more resources (right after install... of course u can configure it) than any Windows system and as I''ve seen it...

I bet you don''t know how to judge the resources. You tried using "top" didn''t you? The memory it reports used and free is not what you''re thinking it is.

- it''s very unstable and you have to manage processes from console (after its shell has crashed again).

It isn''t unstable. Linux''s stability is one of its huge perks! I''ve never had Linux lock up (I only run stable kernel releases though). I''ve had X lock up, sure; but that''s not Linux. Linux is still running in the background (go to another computer and telnet to your computer, if you''re running telnetd you''ll be able to connect readily). If you don''t choose to manage processes from X, then that''s your problem. There are numerous GUI replacements for "ps" (probably with the functionality of "grep" built in as well).

And this GNU license "chaos" of Linux makes it even more messed up...

Firstly, there is more than one GNU license. Secondly, it doesn''t make anything chaotic. All it does is protect the copyright of any source code released under it. You can''t steal their code, but you can look at it and use it. How''s that any worse than closed source? If anything, it must be better. It encompasses all the rights closed source gives you, but adds to them.

I think M$ is doing ok to improve its products (XP actually IS changed from previous Windoze versions).

Maybe so, but it''s licensing scheme is the first step towards the abyss.

Many people hate Microsoft ''cuz it''s somehow monopolistic, etc. For that, I agree with M$, ''cuz I don''t have a heart of capitalist and I believe the Power must be at SINGLE person to prevent chaos.

I''m sure you''d love to live in a corrupted communist republic then. How about a monarchy with a tyrant for a leader? Sounds good to me.

Again, sorry if I offended somebody with what I said. That''s only my opinion and it''s actually normal if there''ll be hundreds of ppl disagreeing with me.

No, that''s not your opinion. You spoke many things as if they were facts. Rephrasing your statements would make you sound much more reasonable. Although, Lifepower, I do agree that we should agree to disagree; as long as you don''t skew reality.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
woah
this is getting big
woah
this is getting big
my personal experience is that windows xp does something very odd at shutdown, i had an xfs bootdisk in floppy drive (i was having problems with my xfs partition) on shutdown, windows read the floppy and wrote to it so i couldn''t boot from the floppy which fucked me over, i swear that has to have some anti-competitive complication

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement