Windows XP

Started by
514 comments, last by Facehat 22 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by shinryuu
Clearly, corporations are not trustworthy. So we need to build new methods of economic organization in order to stop the abuses from corporations, and other organized hierarchal power structures. After the fall of the Soviet Union, a Polish person was able to emigrate to America. He said that the inner workings of corporations are much the same as the inner workings of the Soviet Union. It''s time for a new revolution. We need to build a new economic philosophy that is able to both create wealth for all, and to uphold the political, social, and economic rights of the individual. Linux, here I come.

Personally, I don''t care about your political affiliations. I hope you don''t mind me omitting that.

A few problems:
"Wealth for all"- Such a thing cannot exist. How would we judge our wealth without some sort of standard? Do you mean to give the same amount of money to an underqualified person as a superb worker? You would honestly reward inferioriority with greater amounts of money?

"Economic rights"- Excuse me. My email should be displayed. Tell me how we have economic rights. How about political rights? Even social rights? This things all vary from nation to nation. Some things allowed as ''rights'' in the States do not apply here in Canada, and we''re neighbours! Longest undefended border and all!

About Windows: What Microsoft does is it''s business, and precisely that. Microsoft is a business. Why should we make something free? Give an inch, take a mile. Just because some of us wouldn''t pirate software (RIGHT!) doesn''t mean others wouldn''t. If it inconveniences some but prevents (At least somewhat) an act that is illegal, it''s justified. The moment it gives you PROBLEMS it''s not. And having to pay for something is not a problem unless you''re flat out broke. In which case why are you on computer?

Hey, LordElectro: Null and Void - "Nice to see I haven''t been thoroughly flamed yet, heh. I''m actually hoping to convince other people to use my sig. pic, so go ahead (http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/resist.jpg, my old server, before they put banners on my site) ... please ."
Advertisement
Sure LordElectro, as Elgee pointed out, I''m actually hoping for more than one person to use it. It isn''t real nice looking (about 15 seconds with Photoshop and a screen shot of Microsoft.com =P), but it gets the point across. I won''t take the image down from the server, since I don''t use that one anymore, and don''t care about their hard drive usage .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
I think this is one of the dumbest ideas Microsoft has come up with to date. Before you yell troll, consider:

The only software companies that have been truly successful at the "rental" idea are those who have relatively large and absolutely necessary pieces of that software that you must connect to in order to make your client software work, e.g. most MMORPGS like Everquest, Asheron''s Call, Ultima Online, etc. Even for these, people write emulators so that you don''t have to pay to play. Now, if they did this to Office, what could they possibly put on the server that people couldn''t live without? And would people who do a lot of travelling be happy about having to be connected in order to use Word? Don''t think so.

If there''s no "missing piece", what compelling reason would people have to register so they had to pay monthly fees? Sure, you can require activation numbers every month, but... I highly doubt it would take any more than 24 hours for the first crack to come out once the new style of Office is released. As is the case with any online game, ANYTHING you put on the client can and will be tampered with.

All this is going to do is screw over those who have been faithful registered users, and probably make some of the people who have been faithful about using licensed products both ticked and willing to stop being such shining pillars of righteousness (as in, many will say screw it and get cracked versions.) It''s most certainly not going to fix the currently rampant piracy problem, and it''s probably going to make many companies who actually would have to be good little registered users consider buying software from someone other than Microsoft. Microsoft doesn''t make the only office suite, I assure you. Sure, people might be willing to rent the OS itself if they really really have to, but the rest of the software? Doubt it.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Well, ok, as i don''t use Windows, i can''t say too much on this subject, but i will say that if you are looking for Linux help, IRC to irc.openprojects.net #linpeople, or the name of the distro you''re using.

I use Linux as my one and only OS. I don''t think it''s for everyone (at least not right now), but i do think that it''s great for development and power users. So, how can a game programmer use it? Actually, cross-developing is pretty easy. Linux users are used to dealing with users of other OS''s, and it''s not as hard as some companies would have you believe. Libraries like SDL (www.libsdl.org) make the process a breeze. Writing a game that works on Windows, Linux, BeOS, MacOS, MacOSX, FreeBSD, Irix, and Solaris all at once isn''t really too much more diffecult than writing a Windows game, and the process of testing on different architectures really helps bring out the bugs that might otherwise go uncaught.

I guess my point is that you really can use other operating systems without much problem. John Carmack developed Quake on NeXT, for example. Don''t let fear stop you, educate yourself.

There''s a learning curve on Linux, but if you use your computer enough, as i imagine just about anyone on this forum does, the time spent learning the software will be worth it compared to the time saved using a streamlined system customized just for you.

Oh, and i can''t resist taking the trollbait. Sorry. Dire.Wolf: i''ve seen Win2k installations that approach the uptimes and stability of a properly configured Linux system, but they''re the exception, not the rule. On average, Linux is still more stable. This is not to say that Linux is perfect either: VMS has mean uptimes measured in years, which i don''t believe Linux has yet, though there are examples of systems that have been up for that kind of time. However, i''ll admit, Win2k is a great step forward in the Windows desktop-- it''s just too bad it''s being marketed as a server OS.

-ben.c

Windows XP... hmmmm.

Currently XP stands for eXPerience, but unfortunately I have my doubts about this OS. If M$ doesn''t provide a version of WinXP that I can purchase and not "rent", then I will almost definiately stick with Win2k until I can learn enough Linux to ditch Windows altogether.

Microsoft is a bunch of whining bitches, they whine about piracy, so they put in a registration code. However IF they did make a decent OS and made upgrades free, then people would actually purchase it. (Think DOOM, it didn''t have copy protection, yet everyone had a copy because it kicked ass).

I am fed up of having to pay for a shit product, then have to pay more to fix some of the shit that was wrong with the original version... oh and to add more bloat. Great microsoft... thanks a lot.

M$ should get their priorities straight. No one is going to rent software for personal use, personally I find this an outrage. Oh but you get free upgrades... yay!

Regards,
Nekosion

Regards,Nekosion
quote:
I am fed up of having to pay for a shit product, then have to pay more to fix some of the shit that was wrong with the original version...

That could seem weird but... I sometimes wonder... Does M$ intentionaly lets some bugs on their OS just to be able to sell more "upgrades" ?

By the way, my team and I decided to launch the "Linux Operation" once our game is done and to make cross platform development.

I haven''t developped any big cross-platform application yet but it seems that it constrains you to produce cleaner code (which is not a bad thing obviously).
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If your take your mind off microsoft for a min then you can actually find out that their are a lot of other OSes.

''There are'' please. If you don''t know how to use their/there/they''re properly then email me. If it was just a typo or a slip of the mind, then please do not hit me.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
I thought BIOS stood for Built-In Operating System?

Ha ha! Who told you that load of rubbish? Everyone knows it is Basic Input/Output System! Ha ha! Magmai didn''t know!

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

I remember saving up $35 to get a used copy of Doom 2 . I can''t find my disks anymore, even if it is old, I still like games like that just for the nastalgic value .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
Yeah, I''m looking for an old cheap little PC at the moment to get Linux running on. I got 2 diffrent version of it right now: Suse and Red Hat.. Which one should I go for? I already tried Linux a year ago or so, but I had problems with my ATI Rage 128 cause ATI didn''t write any Xserver for it, I finally found one after a long time searching, the next thing was to get sound going. grumble grumble. never managed that. then the hard disk it was on broke and so I gave it up. I loved the stability it had. it was amazing. I love switching between the 6 consoles and kick a programm from the thread as soon as it was locked up :p

btw. Null & Void, thx for the "banner" :o)
cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states

RAW!
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement