C++ or C#?

Started by
50 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Surg
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by Kixdemp
I prefer C# by a million times, C++ is too complicated, but how would the performance be affected if I do it in C#?
Performance would probably be (significantly?) better in C#.

Are you TRYING to start a battle?

Why would he be starting a battle? All he did was answer the question perfectly. The OP already knows the C# language and anticipates difficulty in some areas of C++. Right there alone should tell you that performance wise C# would be the ideal language to use. The only people that would say otherwise are not software engineers, they are language evangelists.
Advertisement
He asked. I answered. (And answered truthfully, I might add.)
And also in a way which is sure to get counterarguments. You seem to love defending C#, mr. Microsoft fanboy.
Some archeology if you're interested =]

1) Professional Games Made In C#?
2) Java for game development?
3) Java----C/C++
4) c++ or c#
5) Question about Java Vs. C# Vs. C++
6) Java Games?
7) Java is fast?
8) Secondary Language:VB or Java?
9) What makes C++ so powerful?
10) C# games and cheating...
11) Is C# good enough for system utility programming
12) MC++ vs. C#
13) Which language is best for a 3d Games Engine?
14) C# vs C++ as a choice for development
15) Managed DirectX vs C++

(Promits list not mine)

[Edited by - Calin on October 20, 2006 6:37:00 AM]

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You seem to love defending C#, mr. Microsoft fanboy.
At least I have the spine to be somebody and to have views. I don't need to hide behind anonymous posting, and I don't need to sugar-coat reality for the sake of political correctness or whatever the hell it is that people seem to expect these days.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
To build upon what has already been said: C++ is not a magic wand that makes your program run faster. On average, the two languages are equivalent, with C++ coming out ahead in a significant way only in the hands of experienced programmers who took the time to optimize bottlenecks in their code.

If you are not an experienced C++ programmer, you should not and cannot expect any kind of automatic performance gain: on the contrary, you might achieve worse performance with C++ because you are not used to its idioms and the language does not take care of certain optimizations for you.

You can choose to learn C++ thoroughly and then spend additional time optimizing the game, but this will probably triple or quadruple the time that you will spend creating your game.
I think you've already got this, but you should use C# since you clearly prefer it and are therefore likely to be much better at writing good code.

If you want to take on C++ at some stage that would probably be a good thing, but you shouldn't do a big project like a decent game in a language with which you don't feel comfortable.
One note: I've never fooled with C#, but I understand that it's harder to write cross platform code with it. I'm not sure though. Will someone either back me up or shut me up?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
He asked. I answered. (And answered truthfully, I might add.)
And also in a way which is sure to get counterarguments.

I've not seen any actual counterarguments yet. Those counterarguments need only be addressed should they be raised. There's already been enough argument in favor of C# that no further elaboration is needed.

Quote:You seem to love defending C#, mr. Microsoft fanboy.

Kind of like how you seem to love circumventing (IP) bans, Mr. AnonJavaDev?
Quote:Original post by NIm
One note: I've never fooled with C#, but I understand that it's harder to write cross platform code with it. I'm not sure though. Will someone either back me up or shut me up?
It's not harder per se, though there are areas of the framework that you may have to avoid. (System.Windows.Forms is one of the sketchy parts.)

What sucks, though, is that the dev tools are not that evolved, especially on Mac. Doing C# work on OSX was a miserable experience. Sure the programs compiled and ran and even rendered, but it was akward, to say the least.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Kind of like how you seem to love circumventing (IP) bans, Mr. AnonJavaDev?

LOL.

Yeah, I'll do it in sharpie, and when I feel I'm ready for plusieplusie, I'll do it in that. [wink] (plusieplusie - I sound like a girl... [razz])

Thanks you all for your replies! [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement