How much does a game programmer earn???

Started by
31 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by SunTzuMy salary is approx 30K and I tend to get about 1600 each month, after tax.
I don`t really know, but I don`t remember taxes going up in last 2 yrs ? I mean, from 25k, you get ~1450 after all taxes, but I can`t see how you would get only ~150 from additional ~400 each month. That would be extremely low.
I hope, someone here can post some actual experience (I`ve got one interview within 2 weeks in UK, so I`d like to know more).

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Advertisement
UK income tax depends on your circumstances as well (married, repaying student loans, etc). Also don't forget to factor in National Insurance (for the NHS, state pension, etc).

Here's a UK PAYE calculator: http://www.listentotaxman.com/

Of the UK salaries being mentioned here, it does depend on where you are in the country. In the South East, those are probably about right, elsewhere I'd say they're a little on the high side (or maybe I'm being underpaid...).

Also there are a few companies who've lost lots of staff to rivals recently who're desperate for experienced people, and so are offering well above what most others are (though you have to wonder why said companies lost experienced staff in the first place).

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

thanks for the tax calculator - it seems you must have a salary of 33k to get at least 2k each month

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Quote: Quote:
Original post by VladR
I`d like to ask somebody from UK - how much does one receive (after taxes) at his bank account each month with a salary of 35k ? About 2400 GBP ?

Possibly less but that is about right.

I recognize that username yaustar :P
Between 20% to 25% (if you include pension and other hidden taxes) of your salary converts into tax. That's something to look out. You get assigned a tax code, and your contributions are calculated and deducted automatically. When they say £25K, you will get about £1.5k-£1.6k each month. But that's not counting hypothetical bonuses, which are 'tax-free'.

If you consider getting a car, paying your university debts, renting a place, there isn't that much left at the end of the day. But your salary gets reviewed every 6 months / year, at the end of the probation period, you should get a raise, so after a couple of years, you can get quite comfy.

Everything is better with Metal.

You don't wanna now how much an average south-eastern-european game programmer earns [sad]... (well, if you do, it's around $6000/year - lol)
It kinda depends on what your stuff costs. So earned money alone is probably not 100% comparable.

German Public Service programmers get depending on their qualifications and time spent in this position(or job). 1200-2200€ (after tax) per month. It may be more, but not less.

Trainees (not students) get like 500€ (after tax) per month.
Quote:Original post by VladR
Quote:Original post by SunTzuMy salary is approx 30K and I tend to get about 1600 each month, after tax.
I don`t really know, but I don`t remember taxes going up in last 2 yrs ? I mean, from 25k, you get ~1450 after all taxes, but I can`t see how you would get only ~150 from additional ~400 each month. That would be extremely low.
I hope, someone here can post some actual experience (I`ve got one interview within 2 weeks in UK, so I`d like to know more).

It would be quite a lot more were it not for student loan repayments, also National Insurance, and it's probably more like 1650 than 1600. But that's a rough estimate from memory.
plus the pension, ... it's never-ending! all in all, between 20% to 25% (22% is the basis, if I remember correctly) tops in tax in the UK. The salary your employer will give you will most probably not include the cut to the taxman. I think the tax rates increases a lot more after a given wage.

there you go

http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/BeginnersGuideToTaxArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4015566&chk=U5MTGt&cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money&gclid=COSyxe2K0okCFRFBgQodfF4i4Q

£1 to £2,150 10%
£2,151 to £33,300 22%
£33,301 and above 40%

Somehow, 40% seems excessive. I'm not sure what;s going on here.

Everything is better with Metal.

Quote:Original post by oliii
plus the pension, ... it's never-ending! all in all, between 20% to 25% (22% is the basis, if I remember correctly) tops in tax in the UK. The salary your employer will give you will most probably not include the cut to the taxman. I think the tax rates increases a lot more after a given wage.

there you go

http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/BeginnersGuideToTaxArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4015566&chk=U5MTGt&cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money&gclid=COSyxe2K0okCFRFBgQodfF4i4Q

£1 to £2,150 10%
£2,151 to £33,300 22%
£33,301 and above 40%

Somehow, 40% seems excessive. I'm not sure what;s going on here.

This is exactly the reason why I'm moving abroad as soon as my tax brackett gets up to the 40% margin..

My sister's a doctor and she was telling me how she was dreading getting a raise from £29,000 to £35,000 because when she finally did, she was earning less after tax than she was before..

I think the tax in the UK stinks to high heaven and detest the idea of the government raping those who work hard all there lives, only to waste it on paying benefits to too many lazy scroungers (obviously all people on benefits don't fit into this catagory but there are too many nowadays) and on a once-good health service which is being strangled by the thousands of patients suffering from alcohol and smoking relating illnesses (i.e. self-induced)..

The state of the UK economy is quite depressing indeed.. :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement