Wii programming question

Started by
12 comments, last by Naku 17 years ago
I know that in order to develop games for the wii, you need a wii devkit. But does anyone know what programming language the wii uses? I realize that the API is probably classified, and can only be seen once you get the devkit, but I thought someone might know. Also, where could one purchase a wii devkit?
Advertisement
Go here: http://www.warioworld.com/ and I hear the SDK is running around $2,000.00

Enjoy.
uses C++ and of course their libraries, which aren't the best... We are having to find alternative libraries for some of the things they have built already.
Uziel was defeated by Tiny Mandragora.
>> I know that in order to develop games for the wii, you need a wii devkit.

There are communities like WiiLi and Wii-Linux who will disagree.

Although you can't burn a DVD that will run on any Wii, you can develop your own homebrew games that will run on a Wii that has been converted to run Linux.

>> But does anyone know what programming language the wii uses?

It is the next generation of the GameCube. There are many third party tools for that platform which work on the Wii. In addition to assembly language (obviously), Freescale's CodeWarrior is the officially supported compiler, and it supports both C and C++.

>> Also, where could one purchase a wii devkit?

They are leased from Nintendo as part of a publishing deal. If you don't have a publishing contract from Nintendo to make a game on the platform, you won't get a devkit.

There is no official word on homebrew development offerings, although they were hinted at in the early press releases. I believe there were some more recent statements about it being an option soon, but a simple search doesn't reveal them.
Quote:Original post by Uziel2101
uses C++ and of course their libraries, which aren't the best... We are having to find alternative libraries for some of the things they have built already.

Really? I have found the Nintendo SDK to be a good mix between barebones and feature rich. It's a hell of a lot better than Sony's SDK.
Quote:Original post by Sphet
Quote:Original post by Uziel2101

Really? I have found the Nintendo SDK to be a good mix between barebones and feature rich. It's a hell of a lot better than Sony's SDK.

You think? I've never had any problems working with Sony's SDK. So far I've found the PS2 and PSP pretty easy to work with and the documentation is a hell of alot better, still not as good as the XBox / XBox360 documentation but much better than Nintendo's.
APE
Quote:Original post by Naku
So far I've found the PS2 and PSP pretty easy to work with and the documentation is a hell of alot better,
Ever had to flash your devkits? [grin]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by frob

There are communities like WiiLi and Wii-Linux who will disagree.

Although you can't burn a DVD that will run on any Wii, you can develop your own homebrew games that will run on a Wii that has been converted to run Linux.

Interesting, however wii-linux.com doesn't seem to contain any content, and wiili.org seems to suggest that no-one has found any sort of exploit to get even a simple hello-world app on the wii yet. Is anything even possible yet? Have I missed something?
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
wiili.org seems to suggest that no-one has found any sort of exploit to get even a simple hello-world app on the wii yet. Is anything even possible yet? Have I missed something?

They CAN get last-gen code to work, so GameCube targeted apps will run. They haven't exposed a way to reliably get the Wii-specific functionality, such as the Wii remote.

A few individuals are very actively trying to reverse engineer the downloaded Wii Channels by comparing downloaded games against the older ROM images, and are able to successfully download their own images using the Wii Shop channel (although they can't successfully play their software images yet).
Quote:Original post by superpig
Ever had to flash your devkits? [grin]

Ouch. Just when I thought I'd repressed that, you taunt me with it. I'll have nightmares tonight.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement