All for One and One for all. Make Game Together!

Started by
88 comments, last by Acer722 22 years, 10 months ago
Hmmm.. I''m on a roll here. The engine (being simple) is flexible. This is because it would not have the structure pre-built for, say, a first person shooter. It would also have a basic physics engine built into it, so people could make anything from a fps game to a racing game. Or perhaps a role playing game like zelda (-:
The only criteria should be along the lines of the following:
-no inapropriate language/graphics (you know what I mean)
-no offensive or bias material
-preferably fit for download (ie: not 500mb)
-engine itself must not be altered, though addons could be made
-must be windows/mac/linux/unix (a major platform) that way it would be easy to get votes
Well, that''s all I can think of. Not to restricting as you can see. I am, of course, very open. So any changes or ideas you have would be great. I''m not so good with this kinda thing, so I''m sure you have some better ideas. This is all off the top of my head. Let me know what you think. I can also be reached (if needed) at ''alexb@a-tronic.com''.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
Advertisement
Heh, I was reading down the string and the instant the posted engine idea popped up I was thinking CONTEST CONTEST CONTEST. Looks like ATronic beat me to it. You rascal

I am willing to write up that engine (I have one using bsp trees and skeletal animation already written up, that, after some serious cleaning up, could be PERFECT). Currently the features are...

-Integrated Particle System *Not Yet*
-Basic Model Format (custom?) *Totally custom version WITH skeletal animation in*
-Integrated Collision Testing (with models + standard primitives) *Not Yet*
-Easy To Understand Procedural Pipeline *Code needs serious cleaning, so not really*
-Standard Engine Node System (for child/parent objects) *A BSP-type level loader is in, but it doesn''t do much more than partition the polys. I guess not yet*
-Built In Game Timer *Not Yet (hehe doh), but it is a sinch to throw in*
-Built In Skeletal Animation System? *See Above*
-Curve & Curve Mesh Classes *For a basic engine? I don''t know the work required for that yet...*
-Primitive Classes (includes tex coords + normals) *After some cleaning it will be much better, but many data structures are in*
**Portability: right now it is actually windows specific, but it would be a sinch to port. Other than dialog boxes, there isnt much windows code

Here are some other features:
-Sky Box *will be made multiple polygons for a better looking sky :D; uses Tim Schroeder''s excellent method*
-Bit-mapped fonts *nifty!*
-Currently BMP and TGA textures, but JPG support can be added easily
-An excellent state system that moniters GL states so that you dont waste cycles calling glEnable/glDisable
-A logging system (will be revised)
-A matrix class that replaces the GL matrix

I could have it ready for use in 2 weeks to a month, depending on how positive the feedback is. I would have to clean up a LOT of shtuff, but that would be a lot faster than writing from scratch.

Oh and I just remembered something that may be good or bad depending on your preferences. The engine works by a DLL system, which means you compile the engine into a .dll file and include it into your game project. There are bonuses and problems, but I like it.

L8r,
The Rainmaker
Sounds awsom to me! The *not yet* items should be easy enough to add, especially after you clean your code up. DLL system is good as well, asuming you have either the code on hand or a well documented engine layout (also easier after you clean it up). I look forward to seeing what others think. I won''t be able to check the forum out again until tomorrow, but I can''t wait to see what else comes up. Cool sounding engine btw!

Alex Broadwin
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
thanks, I am excited too.

Pretty sad when you are hanging around the forums at midnight...
Unless this is intentionally for learning purposes, there are freely available game engines that meet all your criteria. CrystalSpace is one, though it seems to be primarily aimed at creating FPSes. Genesis3D is another.

Crystal Space is a major Open Source effort and available for virtually all the platforms - and it uses OpenGL graphics; however, there hasn''t been much significant development in the last three years (that''s right - years! It shows you how long ago they got together).

Here''s the catch: game engines are particularly narrow things, suited to one game or one genre only. Game toolkits are more general purpose, but still require a significant amount of "glue" programming to become usable. The dream of a "general-purpose game engine" has been bandied about many times previously, but with less than stellar results. The amount of work necessary to convert an engine for one genre of game to another genre is not insignificant - consider the rarity of non-FPS mods to FPS games.

Do the math.
Or you could join a project that is already off the ground, so to speak.

Combat Simulator Project

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
I''m sorry, it took me a few hours to complete my reply (on the phone...). In that time the thread took a totally new direction I''m totally down with. The contest idea is excellent.
quote:Original post by Oluseyi

Unless this is intentionally for learning purposes, there are freely available game engines that meet all your criteria. CrystalSpace is one, though it seems to be primarily aimed at creating FPSes. Genesis3D is another.

Crystal Space is a major Open Source effort and available for virtually all the platforms - and it uses OpenGL graphics; however, there hasn''t been much significant development in the last three years (that''s right - years! It shows you how long ago they got together).

I''m sorry to reply that late on this post but I had to step in.
It''s not true that there hasn''t been significant developement for Crystal Space the last three years. On the contrary, the group of developers is growing and they are working at a 1.0 release now. The reason it seams stagnating is that the very core is allready written a few years ago and works well now, but they are now working alot on other stuff (the more boring parts) like support for many fileformats. But this is not so visible in the engine directly.
It''s also not true that CS is mainly aimed for FPS. At this moment a developer is working on an isometric component for CS.
You can even build a simple 2D game with CS.

greetings

Jan
quote:Original post by Oluseyi

I''m sorry to reply that late on this post but I had to step in.
It''s not true that there hasn''t been significant developement for Crystal Space the last three years. On the contrary, the group of developers is growing and they are working at a 1.0 release now. The reason it seams stagnating is that the very core is allready written a few years ago and works well now, but they are now working alot on other stuff (the more boring parts) like support for many fileformats. But this is not so visible in the engine directly.
It''s also not true that CS is mainly aimed for FPS. At this moment a developer is working on an isometric component for CS.
You can even build a simple 2D game with CS.

greetings

Jan
I know alot about those engines (especially genesis). I worked with genesis as my first 3rd party game engine, I hated it alot. Also, if an engine is kept fairly low-level, it can be flexible and multi-genre. Such as, if it has a flexible physics engine, it can be given states and params that make it work for a racing game, then later be configured for a fps. Model loading is versitle. Skelital animation doesn''t have to be used, you could also connect models yourself, then transform them (ie: car weels rotating). As long as the engine is as high level as this:

glMakeGame(playerModel, WeaponList, WeaponModelList, worldList);

or something insane like that. it should be fine. We should just keep things down to what Rainmaker and I already said. With those features, it is not yet limited to a single genre. So no worries on that front. Wish I had the time to be here at midnight. These forums are cool.

Alex Broadwin
-----

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement