The User Rating System

Started by
54 comments, last by programering 15 years, 7 months ago
In my honest opinion. I think it should be more of as a metre then just as a htae/love relationship. Well lemme explain. The negative should be removed but the positive should stay. The ones who have been helpful should be rated up. The higher you are the most helpful you have. Just because the negativity of the rating system, proves nothing. Basically, I think users will just rate you down simply because you don't see their point of view or whatever. Like the topic start said, you basically can just be 90000 pointers, and have a bad day on here, and it goes to 0. That isn't fair. I've seen rating systems on other forums where they had vBulletin and it was like that, it's probably here too.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by xZekex
In my honest opinion. I think it should be more of as a metre then just as a htae/love relationship. Well lemme explain. The negative should be removed but the positive should stay.
Alternatively, you could have two seperate ratings - one says how many times you've been rated up, and one says how many times you've been rated down. That way you can be at 1000 "ups" and 2000 "downs" at the same time - and not just be at 0.
That would also let me give both ratings to someone who is helpful but rude ;)
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
In my honest opinion. I think it should be more of as a metre then just as a htae/love relationship. Well lemme explain. The negative should be removed but the positive should stay.
Alternatively, you could have two seperate ratings - one says how many times you've been rated up, and one says how many times you've been rated down. That way you can be at 1000 "ups" and 2000 "downs" at the same time - and not just be at 0.
That would also let me give both ratings to someone who is helpful but rude ;)

Why does someone need to know of negativity? They can just read it in the comments. Helpfulness is the only thing that really should be there. And everyone should start at 0 and they figure out how the rating should be. Like if it wasn't helpful don't bother rating else otherwise.
I personally think there is some kind of biasedness in the rating system in that only the ones who have rated you up are shown: there is the danger of rating someone down because he/she/it has done the same to you, but there is also the "danger" that you just rate someone up because he/she/it rated you up. Just wanted to point that out, I think I can personally live with it.

--

I don't know the algorithm behind the rating (I have asked for it, so, dear moderators, would it somehow be acceptable to reaveal it?), but I also think there is too much momentum in it. People that have earned good ratings over years, and many many of them, can have several *bad weeks* where they are totally super ass, without seeing the rating going down much. I think it would be better if just a fixed number of the latest x ratings would be taken into account, or something similar.

--

The negative should be removed but the positive should stay.

This would be alright imho. And I've seen it working very fine on ohloh, where there is a system of kudos you can give to anyone. I have no kudos at all there, so my rating is pretty low (and currently only influenced by the amount of work I put into my projects). I don't have a problem at all that I am a void there.

/. has a rating that is Post-oriented, i.e. people can vote-up/-down single posts, which I find far more attractive than most other rating systems, in combination with a kudos or tag-based system, ..., what do you readers think?

edit{I personally would like to see a kind of top-ten-good- and top-ten-bad-posts of users in the profile pages}

edit2{We could even go so far and ban users out of specific disscussions if they have proven to be frequently unhelpful, like "ban user from topic, if he has posted 5 times && 70% of his posts were unhelpful"}

--

Another suggestion I have for the current system: Even when we keep the down-raters anonymous, it would be a kind of very helpful critique if one could see *where* one has been rated down. Sure, this would just be a vague indicator as there is at max One Global Rating for each User A to each User B, but still it would give some feeling about what has gone wrong.

[Edited by - greenhybrid on October 9, 2008 2:01:16 AM]
But they probably won't do anything to the rating system. And if they did, it won't be to our liking rofl
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Quote:Original post by programering
And at the bottom I saw that sharpnova had -115 in rating, something I have never seen before. How is that possible?

AFAIK the user rating is displayed as at least 0 in the forums. The underlying database stores a potentially negative number. You must have unearthed one area in the forum that does not implement this rule.

It was displayed in the(my) "User I had rated" list.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement