Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Need tutorial on bone animation for Opengl?

Started by pavelreuk Jan 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM 12 replies 21.8k views
Original Post
pavelreuk
pavelreuk
Hi, Could someone please help me find out where to get good information and tutorials on creating bone animation using .3ds files in Opengl, such as skeleton animation and how to import all the information from a .3ds (3ds max studio) file using Opengl? Please help! Thank you.
owl
owl
You may want to take a look at the Cal3D library.

Trust me when I say that I'll be easier for you to understand and implement this library than to learn skeletal animation and write a library by yourself.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
pavelreuk
pavelreuk
I'm actually looking to create my own code for importing 3d model, mesh and bone animation files from programs like 3ds max studio or lightwave and implementing them inside my game engine. I really want to learn how to import bone animation from files like .3ds or any other 3d model files using c++ (opengl) programming. Please help me in getting this information so that i could develop my own library files in bone animation using c++ and opengl, i definitely understand that this is very complex but i'm willing to do everything i can to create my own bone animation code files in c++?

Please guide me in the correct direction, i hope i could get source codes, tutorials and reference files in importing and rendering 3d model bone animated files in opengl?

Thanks a bunch!
V-man
V-man
.3ds doesnt support bone animation. It only supports keyframe. You are better off with a modern file format such as .x or your own for games.
For other tye of software, COLLADA.
pavelreuk
pavelreuk
i apologize about that, yes i would be creating my own file format by exporting one from a 3ds max studio software, is there some resource or tutorials on how to import my own bone animated character file and render them correctly?

Not sure if you heard of gametutorials.com but they do have some bone animation tutorials using 3ds max studio in exporting a bone animated character and being able to import all the values from a files and rendering it for games?

Please let me know where i would be able to find resource regarding this method?
owl
owl
*sigh*

Basic_Bones_System

3DS Max file formats

Data formats

You should export your model/skeleton/animation from 3D Max in some format that you can parse later in your program. Cal3D format is in XML (one of the easiest to parse) but sadly, there already exists a parser for that format and a library that will play any animation with any graphical library (read OpenGL/Direct3D) so you won't be able to write it yourself.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
pavelreuk
pavelreuk
Thanks for all the information, this will definitely help me out. Also, do you have the link to (read OpenGL/Direct3D)?
owl
owl
I already gave it to you in my first post.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Eistoeter
Eistoeter
Is there something like Cal3D for Java?
V-man
V-man
You can add this to the list of those websites
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Skeletal_Animation
pavelreuk
pavelreuk
Thanks a bunch!
frob
frob

The "Thanks a bunch" reply was given back in 2009.

If they are still concerned about this after five years, I'm sure they'll start a new thread.

Closing.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.