Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0

Started by
28 comments, last by Black_Mage 22 years, 10 months ago
I also would like to know if Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0 has Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus in it. Anyone? Thanks.
Advertisement
The genesis sdk and the SRMA modeler are hard to figure out. That is very true. I mean and average programming book is ~$50 Getting two books on the cd is a great deal. The only problem is that the books don''t come with cds themselves. The directX book, well you need pictures and stuff from that to run the program. I wouldn''t really want to get. What I do recomend more it by Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days. Or you can read the secon edtion online at www.informit.com. The fourth edition is at your local book store and it only 34.99. Thats a cheap computer book. If you do get thois book go through it slowly and do every example. 99% of of all the stuff in that book is used in game programming. I read in a book once or online that games are the hardest to make and thats true. They use evry aspect of programming. Once your done with the book try and write a text based RPG. There is book coming out called The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming which will have everything you need for game programming. But, before you jump to that learn the basics. It will make game programming so much easier!

Hope this helps And I wouldn''t buy Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0
Any game programmer can make games. Real programmers can finish them.
Thanks again, I just have one more question. I searched Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0 on a yahoo.ca shopping centre type thing and i found it for 69.95, Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0 is also the same price. If I had to buy one seeing as they are the same price which is better for a newbie like me?
Thanks Again

Black_Mage
I would always go with the newer version (4.0) The kit is a great place to start. There is one thing I forgot to metion. The book Sams teach yourself Visual C++ in 21 days (in the kit ) is mfc programming. If I were you I would buy Sams Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours. (21 days has mor info) The book comes with the introductory edition. I think the book is also ~$20. Thats a great computer book. I would do that because the book teaches you C++, not mfc programming. I would also look for a book for windows programming. This will teach you everythig about windows because you need to know how to make them for games. I think an easy Api is OpenGL. Check out www.Nehe.Gamedev.net. And go through the tutorials if you want to get started right away. (Which is a bad idea because you should get C++ first.) Also in the kit there is the genesis sdk. You can download that off the internet. Its your money but I really do think its a waste to but Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0.

Hope this helps
Any game programmer can make games. Real programmers can finish them.
Hey it''s me again. I was searching for Game Programming Sarter Kit 3.0 all over the web to see of it came with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. I searched all over, but the few sites I could find (even the publisher''s site) only had info on 4.0. Do you guys know where I can find out about it?

C++
C++
quote:Original post by ChocaPaluza123
Hey it''s me again. I was searching for Game Programming Sarter Kit 3.0 all over the web to see of it came with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. I searched all over, but the few sites I could find (even the publisher''s site) only had info on 4.0. Do you guys know where I can find out about it?

C++

No it doesn''t come with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It come with the intro version of VC++, 2 acrobat books, Genesis, and a game design book - Secrets of the Sages.

Digital Radiation

Do not buy the Programming starter kit if you want to learn C++!
There are great compilers out there for free. There is one that I very highly recommend. It''s called Dev-C++ by Bloodshed(there''s a section in his website about the name).
As for a book on C++, Sam''s Teach Yourself C++
in 21 days
is, in my opinion, the best.
If your not trying C++, don''t try the Programming Starter kit anyway unless you don''t want to look for a few minutes around
this website!!

SEZ

-darkcoder8
I dont know about the starter kit, but I have Sams teach yourself Directx 7 in 24 hours, I bought it because I bought Lamothe''s tricks of the windows game programing gurus (TOTWGPG) , and it lacks 3d programming, and is about directx 6.
Sams book is in my opinion a good reference book, not something you might want to learn from, in this aspect Llamothe''s is supperior (cant wait for january to get Volume 2!!!!) but like I said, lacks 3d (some online books come in the CD but are not from Lamothe).

when I bought TOTWGPG I knew C++, and knew a couple of things on graphics programming in DOS, with the book I learned Directx, and it comes with VC++ Introductory, so you might want to consider getting that book instead. if you are new, you wont mind much about the 3d missing, which seems to be what bothers most advanced game programmers about the book (it didnt bothered me when I got it, it bothers me now! )

Greets,

Kwizatz
PLEASE!!!
do not buy the GPSK thinking that you will learn how to program games. You honestly would waste time and money, seeing as the books and documantation that come with it are not what they seem.

I bought the 3.0 like two years ago, and ive never used anything it offered. Its a total dissapointment.

The only reason I would buy it is if I already knew C++ and Windows Programming and Direct X Programming, because it just doesnt teach you any of it. It only offers tools you can get online for free.

So again, dont buy it

Buy a good book on C++, and the rest can be found on the internet.

A good book is C++ by Dietel and Dietel Publishers, and it comes with VC++ Intro ed which is all you need.

hope that helped

---------------------------------------
"When I lie, I am telling the truth"
So all of you are saying not to buy GPSK 4.0? Ok I respect your opinions and I want to thank all of you for your help. However, can anyone help me find a Candadian Website that can let me buy those books you all suggested?

Thanks Again
Black_Mage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement