LAN game

Started by
39 comments, last by demonkoryu 14 years, 8 months ago
Does anyone knows how to write the platform, so user can log in and play LAN game?? any hints? or even some links? i don't know how to start. I know lot of people said use VPN. I have read a lot about VPN, but can anyone tell me how do i use vpn to create the platform, how they works together? or anyone knows other tricks? Is ggc use VPN?
Advertisement
Do you want to:

- Make a game that can be played on a LAN
- Make your own VPN client/server apps from scratch
- Use an existing VPN system to play an existing game?
what i want is to create platform that user can login and enter different rooms, each room should be able to accommdate 250 uers, all the user in the same room should be able to see each other, just like LAN, for example, Counter-Strike

- Make your own VPN client/server apps from scratch

this is one I after
This is not a simple topic. As I understand it, systems like garena (just like regular VPN software) work by creating a virtual network adapter in your computer and intercepting traffic over that virtual network, then "tunneling" that traffic over your regular internet connection to the other side, who make it "appear" as though that traffic originated over it's virtual network interface.

The main difference between garena and regular VPN software, I gather, is that garena doesn't bother encrypting the traffic in the same way a "real" VPN would (I assume this is because efficiency is more important than security for games).

As I said, it's a complex topic and requires a very good understanding of networking and TCP/IP in general, and of writing network drivers for Windows in particular. It's definitely not the sort of thing you can knock up in a couple of weeks...
Quote:Original post by Codeka
It's definitely not the sort of thing you can knock up in a couple of weeks...

I don't expect that i could finish it within couple of weeks, I have spend half year to finish my first Multiplayer online game. just a simple 2D game. therefore I don't mind to spend another half year or even a year to get this done.

but thanks for your reply. if any one interesting in it. i love to hear from you. so we could do it together.

dongzheaus@hotmail.com

any one get others thought?
Writing a VPN adapter is less well documented than writing networking code. You also have to be comfortable doing systems programming (device driver stuff) rather than just application programming.

If this is a single installation, you could conceivably set up a Linux box as a gateway, and do some tricks with multiple IP aliases, where you would split the network address range in two halves, and ARP/advertise all the IP addresses of the other half on your own network interface, and then bridge them to the other end, and vice versa. In fact, you might want to google for "network bridging" to find existing software and/or hardware that can do that for you.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
thanks all

any one could give more details?
Absolutely! Here is a good place to start.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Absolutely! Here is a good place to start.

this is nice .... thanks for google it for me.

i have heard that a application like what i try to create may use things like "Hook socket(Hook API),DLL inject"

any ideas what they are?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement