Newbie killing in massive Crpgs

Started by
17 comments, last by headcrusher 24 years, 5 months ago
Sometimes I play Yahoo Gin Rummy, or chess. Both games use the USCF rating system which assigns a point system based on the level of player you are able to beat. The system uses a formula that can actually cause your rating to go down if you defeat someone with a particularly low rating. Thus experienced players are discouraged from playing inexperienced players because trouncing them causes your rating to go down.
Advertisement
I say let who ever kill who ever. If a newbie can ambush a highlevel character and kill hmm good for him,if not to bad. Should a high level character be able to walk around and kill low level characters that an most cases won't be able to hurt him? Yes.

You're thinking like a player, not a developer. The problem with most on-line RPGs is that buttheads with that kind of attitude make it impossible to enjoy the game. How would you like it if you were a low level character and I kept killing you everytime you respawned for a couple of hours. You'd get sick of it and stop playing. That's not the way you sell a lot of copies of games. There has to be some kind of protection from PKers who abuse the ability.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I have always been of the belief that players should have complete freedom...

However, whenever I think about the rampaging PKer killing newbies, I always come back to this same idea: (Note, UO is the reference CRPG)

How about, instead of a reputation system controlled by stupid, deterministic computer rules (like in UO) you have a dynamic system where every player can form his/her own impression of a player. By him/her lonesome, that impression makes no difference. However, impressions are spread around the population based on trust. So if a person trusts you, and your impression of a given person is poor, then his/her impression of that person will ALSO be adversly affected, automatically.

This propogation of the impressions among the population will generally arrive at pretty stable results (I have tested it extensively). The cool thing is, take the NPC guards. They also have impressions of people. Given THEIR impression, they will attack those people that they have poor impressions of. So, if a PKer goes around and kills a bunch of newbies, those newbies will effectively "rat" on the PKer, and the PKer will end up getting his ass whooped in towns.

Another interesting example is that of a friendly duel: if by accident on of you dies, then he/she can simply explain to the dead guy that it was a mistake and, if he believes him, will not say bad things about him.

If anyone is more interested in this, I'll try to pull up my old emails (I sent out a 5-part email - about 10,000 words total I think, on this topic)

- Splat

Oh yeah. Whenever a person witnesses a crime, be it a NPC witness or PC witness, he makes an automatic change to the impression of that person based on his trust with that person, impression of that person, and his own global "average" impression in the world. So, crimes pass like rumors. You happen to kill a guy in the woods and a poor NPC sees it, it might take a few days before that NPC goes into town for food. OMG! he runs into his ol' pal guard Bob, who hears the sad story of the poor murdered newbie, guard tells the police force, and police force end up telling the whole world... PKer is not going back into town for awhile.

Kinda powerful, ain't it! Really cool stuff happens like this with about 500 lines of code when you simulate this.

- Splat

Cool idea! Could also make use of the often ignored "charisma" skill from D&D (I.e. a high charisma character is less affected by rumours).

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
I would probably play the charisma attribute the other way: High charisma characters spread rumors more eficiently/faster/more accurate.

That way, charisma would be a GOOD attribute for a newbie to have, because it would help get revenge on anyone who bothers him

I forgot to mention one other important thing last message The NPC government is predefined as good people. Everyone should trust and have good impressions of the government. If they don't, the government doesn't like them either. This fixes the one problem with a completely free rumor system: if there were more evil people than good people, the whole system would flip-flop and guards would begin attacking good people.

That might be interesting in some games though, kind of a simulation of anarchists taking over the world through larger numbers. But for UO, it wouldn't do, because newbies spawning in towns would run a GREAT risk of simply being killed in 2 seconds.

- Splat

What happens when you get a character or group of players that come back to the town kill all the guards and take over?

Yes i do think like a developer and a player. Because i was working on a massive online rpg for awhile(with total freedom)even the destruction of cities,ect.

i like your ideas and thoughts splat...i would like to read more on that from the 10,000 word email i think a government system starting off likes everyone and the community likes the government is a great idea...and if the player doesn't like the government...the government doesn't like them...having a whole working system like this in a game would be awesome...overturning the government and destroying the good players...or keeping government rule and letting good players rule....i think there would be alot of good battles over it....and the sides would turn alot....i hope i can hear more about it...

brad (xbradx_00@hotmail.com)

---===xxxx===---
----THE END----
---===xxxx===---
headcrusher's second idea sounds really cool. the xp gained depending on your level would discourage pkers from killing newbies very well.
=+=+=+=+=+=
Mr. Gecko

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement