Project Darkstar

Started by
75 comments, last by hplus0603 14 years, 7 months ago
Quote:
Quote:
But the implementation is where the bugs, limitations and issues arise. No?

Of course, but the fact is that the model does not drive the implementation, meaning that you cannot claim it is the fault of the non-transactional model. There are many games that do not suffer from the same drawbacks.

I disagree. Java has no wild pointer errors. Why? because the system makes it impossible to create them.

The PDS makes it impossible to create race conditions. That is a result of the transactional model.

This is why enterprise system use transactional models, after all. To ensure data integrity.

Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough. A PDS app can do the same thing if it wants.

I agree and acknowledge this, however, I would find PDS less attractive if I needed to bootstrap my own data store and persistency implementation on top of it. This is just a personal opinion however.

Fair enough. Any personal opinion is valid as a personal opinion, if nothing else :)

I'm not sure I understood the sentence though since you *don't* need to create your own persistency implementation. Its transparent and part of the system and a default implementation ships with it.

Am I simply being dense that I thus don't follow the statement?

Quote:
Quote:
Well, its goal is not to be a game engine.

Agreed, however many of the claims made about PDS are game related and I believe are a bit misleading. For instance, the claims about zoning and sharding are a bit disengenuous because of the general use of zoning and sharding as game-play mechanics rather than physical limitations.

Disengenous is a fighting word. Maybe you might want to chose another? Because its a perfectly genuine statement.

And I am the *first* to admit, and even sometimes encourage, zoning as a game design premise. But what PDS does it make it a game design decision and NOT something that is necessitated by the architecture of the system.

Furthermore, even if you create Zones and Shards, the PDS allows any system to process any part of those zones and shards at any time. This gives you both fail-over and backend-wide load balancing properties you cannot get from a hard-zoned architecture.

My project right now is *highly* "zoned" in fact for game-play reasons. But PDS makes it easy (no work in fact) to just throw up zones as needed and use any part of my machine room to process them. And should any one machine fail, the zone stays alive and simply moves it processing to another node.

So actually, its a BETTER zoning system, if you want to look at it that way :)

"Zoneless/Shardless" is market-speak. And market-speak is always over-simplified ;)

Quote:

And I certainly wish you luck in this endeavor and will watch the progress of PDS. As I said before, I am only critical of the manner in which its public face has been presented in this thread.

Oh and I SURE hear you here. I myself am automatically VERY skeptical of anything I think is being "over-hyped". In fact if that's what you are responding to then I don't blame you for being a bit belligerent.

But there is always a dance you have to do between making enough noise in simplistic enough terms to get the common press to pick you up and being detailed enough about the real technology for real technologists. I like to think our forums are pretty serious and technical. if some of the public buzz has ssemed a bit "over-enthusiastic", well I apologize for that too.

i DO love this thing though. I've been a software engineer for 25 years and I really believe that if I will be remembered for any contribution to coding, this is probably it. And I personally love how it simplifies my coding life.

Now there ARE some hiccups still. I'm glad to admit that and we talk about these things on the forums. There is an issue right now with upgrading code in "Serialization incompatible' ways. There are work-arounds but none of them are what I woudl consider ideal. I'm actually working on a solution for this right now that Im hoping my employers will let me return to the community.

Quote:

Actually, you are quite correct, it was a very, very poor choice of words on my part and I apologize profusely. A more proper thing to say is probably that it is targeted at those with little to no experience in scalable server-side persistency and state management solutions. I understand it definitely has enterprise level application (why else would Sun pick it up?) and the word hobbyist has the wrong connotations.

Fair enough. It is certainly intended to make it so an expert doesn't have to do this stuff. I believe the ultimate goal of all software engineers should be to put ourselves out of the business of solving the same problems over and over :)

But I do have to say that every expert on multi-processing Ive talked with (and there have been quite a few over the years) has had the same reaction I have to it. Its hard, its error prone, and in the end we all end up falling back on less then optimal solutions that we can at least prove reasonably will work.

So I think its a great thing to let the computer do and let us get on to more creative pursuits. In that sense, its freeing for experts in the same way that high performance C optimizers freed experts on byte-tweaking.

Quote:
Quote:
What is "out of scope." Im happy to admit that all game engine functionality is out of scope. PDS is a platform for game engines, not a game engine itself. There are many game functions it does not provide. But it does provide the environment to build them and the hooks to tie them in.

The data collection/mining part of the back-end that I mentioned in my previous post. And it is fine that it is not part of the PDS persistency, but you cannot pretend that the PDS model makes it unnecessary.

Oh not at all, if its important to you. I never inte4nded to suggest otherwise. But different kinds of apps have different kinds of needs in this. In my current app we will be writing out data on user actions to an SQL database for customer profiling and economic info for tracking our economy.

And querieable database is indeed the RIGHT tool for creative data mining and analysis.

But such selective storage, as we established is no different from what MMOS do today. So I agree we don't address that space and make it better, but its no worse :)

Quote:
The issue mainly comes down to the fact that there is a lot of personal opinion that goes into how a particular group or individual would want to implement certain portions of the model that PDS is offering.

Sure. And for some people it may be perfect as is. For some people it may be great with some of the plug points changed or extended. And for some people it may be totally wrong. I regularly tell people who show up and ask "Can i build my FPS with this" at the forums that they can build their game matching and score keeping, but they will never get the kind of split second timing for that sort of gameplay and that they will have to do what every other system does and throw off a process to handle it.

There are no silver bullets. Just good tools. But a hammer never makes a good screwdriver.

Quote:
Some of us are real game developers with real game development experience, including MMOs. Some of us see real drawbacks in the PDS implementation and are expressing our opinions on the subject.

And no one is ever going to agree with all the choices someone else makes. A lot of my time in the game industry BEFORE sun was spent writing library code for games and one thing I learned VERY early was that you need to build these things in layers so people can strip off what they don't want or need. Ive done my best to push that modularity during the time I was with the PDS team and i hope it shows in the system.

Frankly, there are a few things in the current API set that make me cringe. I would have done them differently, but part of working with a team is compromise and being open to others ideas. And some of what the PDS team brought to the project I wouldn't have done... and they were right. So if one or two places I still think I'm right, that's a small price to pay for so many great brains on the project.

Quote:
That was the crux of my reply this afternoon, as it seems that you feel our comments and opinions are misguided or inexperienced. They aren't, they simply speak to the idea that PDS may not be a silver bullet for everyone.

Yup there are no silver bullets.

But now I'm going to ask you to please try to see a bit now from my POV. My introduction to this thread was a rather strident statement of "I've done the analysis and PROOVED it can never work" which was totally misguided and based on almost total ignorance about the system, how it worked, and what its goals were.

It was followed with the dismissive statement that "all it is, is an object database" which was equally ignorant and incorrect. The real paradigm shift is not in the database at all but in the execution model of the code.

So if I got my hackles up, well, if you could handle that without doing so all I can say is your a better m,an then I am.

For the record I never, ever intended to imply any ignorance of game programming. Just ignorance of the PDS. And that was what I was presented with on entry.
Advertisement
Quote:
How pluggable is the DataStore module as far as swapping storage formats without scrapping the module interface? For instance, if I wanted to change database providers, have some crazy idea about the blazing speed of XML, or want to do remoting?

Access to the DataStore is done through a system manager, the DataManager. Its pluggable in a few different ways.

The first object invoked for any event is fetched from the system DataManager. So if you need to completely replace the persistence, you woudl replace that. At its highest level its just an interface that gets objects from IDs and symbolic bindings and manages locks taken on them, adn conversely allows you to stick obejcts into the datastoer and get back the bindings and ids.

There are a few semantic things you have to preserve if you want to preserve the PDs execution model. The PDS execution model assumes the DataStore will do deadlock detection and throw a specifc exception if you try to take a write lock that woudl result in deadlock. Originally we used BDB's deadlock detection but for a number of reasons Tim (the Db guy)is replacing that rigth now with a seperate deadlock detection implementation that can provide more info back to both the user and the system.

So i *believe* there are three levels to it now. The deadlock detector, a middle layer im a bit fuzzy on, and the lowest layer that actually puts and gets objects from storage. Beyond that, you'd either have to look at the Java docs or ask Tim for details (tjb on the PDS forums.)

Edit: i may have implied thsi but not said it... AIUI all are pluggable, all the way up to the DataManager interface presented to the rest of the system)

Now, you can also also plug in parallel managers to access data anywhere else. You just need to put the results in transient fields on the objects the PDS IS managing so they don't get saved and restored as part of the state of those objects.

Is that helpful? beyond that level i think you need tim...
Quote:Original post by jeffpk

Yup there are no silver bullets.

But now I'm going to ask you to please try to see a bit now from my POV. My introduction to this thread was a rather strident statement of "I've done the analysis and PROOVED it can never work" which was totally misguided and based on almost total ignorance about the system, how it worked, and what its goals were.

It was followed with the dismissive statement that "all it is, is an object database" which was equally ignorant and incorrect. The real paradigm shift is not in the database at all but in the execution model of the code.

So if I got my hackles up, well, if you could handle that without doing so all I can say is your a better m,an then I am.

For the record I never, ever intended to imply any ignorance of game programming. Just ignorance of the PDS. And that was what I was presented with on entry.

It is understandable to get upset when people criticize your "baby." But you have to be a bit careful and not get too carried away, and have a bit of thick skin when it comes to criticism. I think perhaps you took many of the comments in this thread a bit too much to heart.

Quote:

Yes, it is very helpful. Unfortunately, I do not think PDS is right for my current needs (well, not my needs, but the needs dictated to me by my boss), but I will definitely keep tabs on it for future projects.
Well thank you for putting up with my hot-temper and giving me the chance to explain "my baby."

Honestly I was asked to get involved here and I ALMOST didn't, because right now I'm under pretty big deadline pressure... and I *know* my asshole quotient goes up in these times. :)

I'm glad we were able to work through it.

Well thank you for putting up with my hot-temper and giving me the chance to explain "my baby."

Honestly I was asked to get involved here and I ALMOST didn't, because right now I'm under pretty big deadline pressure... and I *know* my asshole quotient goes up in these times. :)

It is quite OK, as I should also have done a better job in replying as well, as I definitely made poor word choices in my haste.
I just looked at the Wiki links.

I had no idea they were that broken.

THANK YOU for pointing it out. We just went through a site software upgrade and I have a feeling someone broke something.

I'm agitating now to get them fixed. There is a lot of good info that is currently inaccessible :(
Quote:Original post by arbitus

It is quite OK, as I should also have done a better job in replying as well, as I definitely made poor word choices in my haste.

And I would also like to chime in here and say that, I too, am sorry for perhaps too hasty comments and mis-understanding. There was no intended disrespect and, unfortunately, nuance is not always apparent in text based discussion threads :)

I'm glad we arrived at a good resolution of this, and look forward to constructive discussions moving forward.

Cheers!
Quote:Original post by arbitus
How pluggable is the DataStore module as far as swapping storage formats without scrapping the module interface? For instance, if I wanted to change database providers, have some crazy idea about the blazing speed of XML, or want to do remoting?

Access to the DataStore is done through a system manager, the DataManager. Its pluggable in a few different ways.

The first object invoked for any event is fetched from the system DataManager. So if you need to completely replace the persistence, you woudl replace that. At its highest level its just an interface that gets objects from IDs and symbolic bindings and manages locks taken on them, adn conversely allows you to stick obejcts into the datastoer and get back the bindings and ids.

There are a few semantic things you have to preserve if you want to preserve the PDs execution model. The PDS execution model assumes the DataStore will do deadlock detection and throw a specifc exception if you try to take a write lock that woudl result in deadlock. Originally we used BDB's deadlock detection but for a number of reasons Tim (the Db guy)is replacing that rigth now with a seperate deadlock detection implementation that can provide more info back to both the user and the system.

So i *believe* there are three levels to it now. The deadlock detector, a middle layer im a bit fuzzy on, and the lowest layer that actually puts and gets objects from storage. Beyond that, you'd either have to look at the Java docs or ask Tim for details (tjb on the PDS forums.)

Edit: i may have implied thsi but not said it... AIUI all are pluggable, all the way up to the DataManager interface presented to the rest of the system)

Now, you can also also plug in parallel managers to access data anywhere else. You just need to put the results in transient fields on the objects the PDS IS managing so they don't get saved and restored as part of the state of those objects.

There are a few layers in Darkstar where you could plug in persistence implementations.

As Jeff said, the application layer for accessing persistence is via the DataManager, which can be replaced via configuration.

The data manager's implementation is supplied by the DataService, which is the facility that provides access to persistent objects. This is layer whose implementation you would need to replace or modify in order to use a different sort of object serialization.

The default implementation of the data service depends on a DataStore layer, which is responsible for storing blobs of bytes by object ID or name. It is at that layer that we're currently experimenting with multi-node caching.

The current implementations of that layer in turn make use of a somewhat lower level database layer, which is where we plug in Berkeley DB, either the native or Java edition. It's at this layer that you could fairly easily plug in a different database.

- Tim
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Btw, someone pointed out this quote from the Sun roadmap:
Quote:While it is possible that such an update could, on failure, leave the two durable stores in an inconsistent state, the window in which such a failure could occur was decided to be sufficiently small that repair by human intervention was an acceptable alternative to implementing a generalized transaction manager.

I'd like some more insight into this, if possible.

Some background...

The transaction coordinator in the current implementation only supports a single durable transaction participant. This limitation was initially put in place to avoid the complication of building a full two phase commit implementation, something like XA.

Originally, it had been our intention to update the implementation of the transaction coordinator to support multiple durable participants so that applications could plug in an additional persistence mechanism -- a relational database, most likely -- and use it in the same transaction with the data service. In fact, I had originally thought I would need this capability to support a multi-node data store.

Thinking about it more, though, we decided that two phase commit would probably be too slow to use under normal circumstances for our transactions, which need to stay quite short. In addition, the current multi-node scheme does not require something like this -- which is a good thing from the point of view of performance!

Instead, our thought is that people can build non-transactional facilities to store updates to external databases.

So...

What the comment is talking about is that, when using such a non-transactional facility to interact with an external database, the application needs to do something to account for the fact that the two persistence mechanisms might crash separately, and so run the risk of not being fully coordinated. Applications could choose to deal with this by arranging to store the data to the external database again if needed (idempotency), through the intervention of an administrator (tacky, but sensible in some cases), by not worrying about inconsistencies (perhaps OK for usage statistics), or some other mechanism.

But this comment does not refer to an inconsistency that is possible in the current system on its own. The base Darkstar system maintains transactional consistency in all cases. The only thing that it may not supply of the standard ACID properties is the 'D' one: it provides limited durability. By allowing the system to forget some recent updates when there is a crash -- but still maintaining consistency -- the system is able to provide much better latency.

- Tim
Quote:By allowing the system to forget some recent updates when there is a crash -- but still maintaining consistency -- the system is able to provide much better latency.

To make this clear (to me): Is what you're saying that, if I for reporting reasons mirror the state of the world out to a separate database system, and there was a crash, then my reporting system would be out of sync with the actual world state?

And if I have to mirror all commits out to a reporting system anyway, why wouldn't I just use that system for my datastore/back-end? Scaling reads is easy, compared to scaling writes...
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement