Portfolio Review + Questions

Started by
11 comments, last by taelmx 14 years, 2 months ago
Hey all, I'm wondering if there are any other sites that I can look for jobs as a sound designer / composer on. I've posted on GameDev, iDevGames, and quite a few others, but I can't seem to get much attention on them. http://www.kubikdragon.com/kazunanakama/ My best so far was getting a reply from Square Enix saying that they liked my portfolio but the position had already been filled shortly after they posted their recruitment thread. Since then I've been pretty dry on leads. I talked to my friends in the industry(some artists and programmers), and the general advice I got was that I needed to find somebody that already works at a company or somebody that has an "in". The best sound designer I know at them moment is actually doing landscaping for a living now, however, I know a concept artist that works at RARE, but unfortunately they said they didn't know anybody that could help me out either. So, if there's anybody here that has some more advice or if you are that special person that has that "in" I need, please tell me! Thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by taelmx
Hey all, I'm wondering if there are any other sites that I can look for jobs as a sound designer / composer on.

I don't review portfolios, but someone else probably will. As for audio and music jobs, for the most part you're going to have to freelance. "View Forum FAQ" (see link above) and read up on the Audio, Freelancing, and Networking FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

So, if there's anybody here that has some more advice or if you are that special person that has that "in" I need, please tell me! Thanks!

I'm not qualified for audio portfolios, but I can tell you about the importance of their statement.

Consider that each studio only has a few sound guys. Perhaps they have only one, maybe four or five. I'd estimate about 1 audio person for each 50 artists&programmers. The number is very small.

From what I've seen, there is not much turnover on audio people. So maybe you'll see a single job opening every 2-3 years at a studio.

Unless you know (from your inside contacts) that they need an audio person, you are very unlikely to even discover a job opening. Once it hits the public market you will be competing with many people, including those laid off and those who want to jump to a different company.
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Hey all, I'm wondering if there are any other sites that I can look for jobs as a sound designer / composer on.

I don't review portfolios, but someone else probably will. As for audio and music jobs, for the most part you're going to have to freelance. "View Forum FAQ" (see link above) and read up on the Audio, Freelancing, and Networking FAQs.

Those links all come up with 404s for me...D:

Those links all come up with 404s for me...D:

Sorry about that. They should be fixed now. Please try again.

That guy is one sarcastic demotivating....you get the point...

sad thing is that it's all true, hahaha. So I guess my question is...

Not how do I get into the industry(get a job in the industry of course!), but where do I start looking, emailing, etc. I don't have too many local contacts here, so I take it I'd be working over the net and stuff, but where are some good places to look for those contacts that are high up there in the industry?

I think it's fair to assume that in almost any job, having an inside contact is a key part of getting in. I've done a lot of game work already on indie projects, and I've been wanting to get in for quite a while. It's not a matter of "preparing" anymore.
That guy is one sarcastic demotivating....you get the point...
sad thing is that it's all true, hahaha. So I guess my question is...
Not how do I get into the industry(get a job in the industry of course!), but where do I start looking, emailing, etc. I don't have too many local contacts here, so I take it I'd be working over the net and stuff, but where are some good places to look for those contacts that are high up there in the industry?

So I'm sarcastic and demotivating, am I? Well, your biting comment is demotivating ME! (-_-) <-- That's me looking sad and demotivated.
Read my FAQ 27 (Barrier-Busting Tips). That too is listed in "View Forum FAQs" above.

where are some good places to look for those contacts that are high up there in the industry?

You apparently did not read the article on Networking. Yet.

OMG No! Not like that! In a funny way! Like the question:

I want to compose music for games. So what do I need to do differently for game music than for, say, TV music?
It's too bad you asked me that question. It means you don't have a hope in hell of ever getting a gig making game music. You know what people do when they actually do have a hope in hell? They don't ask, they just listen. They get some games, they listen to the music. They read reviews, they talk to fellow gamers. They figure it out for themselves and form their own ideas.

Ok, so maybe it IS demotivating, but like...to the right group of people...

No offense meant to you! I swear! D:

EDIT:

I tried loading the networking one again, and some of them are still 404ing and taking back to...GameDev.net...

Thanks for the audio article btw!
1. OMG No! Not like that! In a funny way!
2. I tried loading the networking one again,
3. and some of them are still 404ing
4. and taking back to...GameDev.net...

1. Oh. Well. Then I was just being sad in a funny way.
2. Dude, the networking link works fine for me. Maybe you need to hit REFRESH before you click it.
3. Could you be more specific? First, refresh the FAQs page before clicking a link. Then if you get a 404, tell me which one you 404'd on. Please! I can't fix it if you don't give me a solid bug report. That's Quality Assurance 101, doncha know.
4. Lots of the links are SUPPOSED to take you to other parts of GameDev. If you click a link that doesn't say it's supposed to take you to some part of GD, and it takes you to some part of GD, then please tell me which one it is, and which part of GD it sends you to. I need to fix problems, but as far as I can tell, you're the only person in the world to whom some strange undefined (and unknowable, unresolvable) Twilight Zone problem is happening to. If you get my drift.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement