Radio Control car physics???

Started by
15 comments, last by Jasun220 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey, first of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Jason and im using the Genesis3D Rendering engine for my game (www.genesis3d.com), and the game is going to be a radio control car game. Im at the point of physics for the car, is there any FREE physics engines out there that can simulate RC cars? And i need some information for the camera code, i dont know if i can explain this or not, but you know in racing games how the camera seems to ''float'' and follow behind the car, i need help in getting the effect for a camera. Im not an expert in DirectX or OpenGL, but some code snips or something would be great! - Thanks in advance - Jason
Advertisement
Come on guys, i know someone has some information for me...
Code your own physics. Besides the fact that I don't know of any "physics engines," it's not too hard to code, anyway. Start simple:

move(float amount, carstruct * car)
{
car->x += sin(car->angle) * amount //In radians
car->y += cos(car->angle) * amount
}

turn(float amount, carstruct * car)
{
//Amount is in radians.
car->angle += amount;
}

The end. Read up on vectors - read the vectors and planes article here on gamedev.net. And if you need to get more complicated then that, read up on trig (not too hard) and use common sense (game physics really is mostly common sense, plus a little trig), and if you can't figure something out, then post here. I hope you're successful in coding your RC car game. Just don't make things too complicated.

Edited by - TerranFury on August 14, 2001 9:45:04 PM
The engine im using is a prety simple engine to use. so im sure i could get it eventually For all those people making RPG games, i would suggest you lookinto Genesis3D (www.genesis3d.com) and if you have time, download GDemo, it show the power of Genesis3D.
I knocked up an RC car demo thing in openGL for an assignment...its not great (less than a weeks work) and was my 1st 3D demo...the sliding i put in tho was very RC car like i thought...

http://www.rbut.demon.co.uk/RC.zip
(you need glut32.dll also cus i used a glut function for the FPS)

As far a physics engines go - there arnt any that I know of...

Ste
**Ste
Thats great, thats what i need. May i ask for the source code, so i can learn how to port it to Genesis3D?
I would totally give the code out as this is something I strongly believe in (free source for educational purpose). Alas I my HD died leaving me with nothing...I only have the exe as I uploaded it to ftp. I have the code (printed out) as a hard copy of the code was a requirement of the assignment.

If you require direction regarding a specific aspect I am sure I could explainthe theory i implimented...but pls dont ask for every aspect else I will be 92 before I finish the email!

Ste
**Ste
Ok, well, the people that are making Genesis3D Classis will have objects with physics in them, so im going to wait until they release their re-built engine. The main thing i was interested in is your camera code, thats my chalenge right now.
take a closer look to this.
unwritten letters
take a look here, i''m sure it will help you !

http://home01.wxs.nl/~monstrous/

glHorizon_Project

www.web-discovery.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement