console dev: Can someone explain?

Started by
28 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 22 years, 7 months ago
I have playstation, and I was wondering, how would I make my own playstation games? Would I write it in C++ like a computer game, this tpic ha confused me for the past year, so i was wondering if someone could explain how it works(developing games for PSX). "I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
Hello!

It''s pretty much the same, you get the libs and work with them (or around them in a lot of cases). You do need special dev kits to work with these though (unless you go the much documented hacker route, of course ;-) ), these basically allow your PC to communicate with the console, gives you an emulator (in the form of a PC card) and allows a proper debugging enviroment.

Other than this, it''s easier in some respects to PC, because you don''t have to accomodate every possible architecture, however the restraints arguably take a much refined programming knowledge to work with (in the sense that you have to work harder to get things done).....

The industry as a whole looks to console gaming to the future (much to my dismay), so it''s a very worthwhile field to get in to.

Hope this answers your q!

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Yeah. I figured that, but I mean, where are the Developer Kits and Tutorials, ya know? I want to make my own playstation games. That would be pretty cool. I can see how the controls would differ, but is the code alot different? Can I download the Developer Kits, and take some tutorials/read a book on how to do it???

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
Actually, Sony came out with this thing called the Net Yaroze I think, which was a playstation that you could develop your own games on. It carried a hefty price tag, but no where near a full blown development kit. I do not know if it was ever released in the states, but I think it came out in Japan. Check out ebay or something if you are really interested.

Stein
"PC Load Letter, what the F*Ck's that" ~Office Space
I have to pay to develop games? Thats rediculous! Can''t I just download a dev kit????

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
No you can''t just download a dev kit. Now I know there is someone reading this that can answer it better than I but a dev kit is a premium piece of hardware. You pretty much use it to emulate how the actual playstation would play your game. I think they also come with debugging tools and the api made by (in your case sony). Example: Many of the XBox developers I think just got their final devkits (i could be wrong about this) but for awhile they were working with unfinished devkits. So no you can''t just download them. Here is a photo of some I dug up on flipcode.com, another very good game programming site

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=08-22-2001&forum=iotd&id=-1

There''s your devkits . . .

Stein
If you have a PS2, you can play around with a Basic language that comes on a demo disc. It''s free and super simple to use but also very limited. I''ve had a go and made a few games like pong and spinning 3D shapes but because I can''t connect the PS2 to my PC (yet) I can''t do things like use bitmaps, wave files etc. All the code is saved onto ordinary memory cards. It''s a little bit of fun and you''d never be able to make a decent game on it.
How much do these development kits cost? and where can I learn how to use them if i do get one?????
its definitely in the thousands of dollars for all the new consoles. Maybe some dev houses sell there unused and older playstation dev kits online, maybe sony takes them back, i don''t know. I''m sure someone on these boards knows more about this.

Anyone??

Reselling Developer Kits is generally against the contracts that had to be signed to get one in the first place.

If you want try out console development for low investment (about $120 or so) then get a dreamcast and write stuff on it. It's pretty well-understood by hobbyist developers, and there is a freeware 3D acceleration library for you to use on it. Then you'll finally be able to add the words 'console development experience' to your resume.

Head on over to http://www.boob.co.uk/ to get started on development.

You'll also need a DC coder's cable if you don't have a broadband adaptor. You can order a cable from http://www.lik-sang.com

Happy console hacking!

Edited by - cheesegrater on August 31, 2001 3:43:00 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement