What concepts i need to know in C++?

Started by
10 comments, last by Lightness1024 13 years, 3 months ago
Hello,
I haven't been programming for a while and forgot may things, but now I'm refreshing and by now I remembered pointers, arrays, functions, references, loops and all these simple concepts. I want to remember all what I knew and learn a bit more before stepping into SDL using Lazy Foo tutorials. Can you list here all things i must know in C++ before starting creating 2D games? And not just in C++ if there is any...

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement
There is no "you must know Y in order to do X" list. Familiarity with your language of choice is a must, obviously, as is familiarity with programming concepts (which are generally language agnostic).

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Well, for creating a 2D game I think OOP is a good thing to learn. (C++ class keyword)

Well, for creating a 2D game I think OOP is a good thing to learn. (C++ class keyword)

Yes, OOP I know

Can you list other advanced topics I need to know?

Like Washu said, there is no list of "need to know" topics for 2D games. Obviously knowledge of your programming language and your library is required, but some games for example, will require AI , whereas others won't. Some games might need to go multiplayer, while others are content with being single player. The key is to know what your game will need, and then learn it. There's no need to learn and write a physics engine after all if your game is not going to incorporate it.

That being said, I think you should go to whatever library you plan to use and familiarize yourself with basic functions, such as rendering a sprite. If you don't know those, then your chances of making a game are sunk. :)
Thanks

Good, go ahead then and create some small games ;)
I think the easier way to learn about more advanced and specific topics is to use them. Once you relearn the basics of C++, it's probably better to jump directly in making simple games. You will learn by yourself what you will need to create your game.

Good, go ahead then and create some small games ;)

Roger that ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement