I got beat up by a cop

Started by
114 comments, last by jpetrie 13 years, 2 months ago

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1298064681' post='4776080']
What was described is no where near excessive force. The fleeing (and resisting) suspect was subdued by way of a single blow followed by a tackle. Strikes to the face are, as I understand, usually frowned upon where they can be avoided in favor of other disabling strikes, but still fall within the domain of acceptable force.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I only said he should press charges if he got injured and had to pay medical expenses. There's no reason not to file a complaint in this situation though.

If the cop apologized that night and took actions that were more in line with innocent until proven guilty instead of guilty until proven innocent, then fine, but the dude punched him in the face and then proceeded to be a dick.
[/quote]

Its real easy to play armchair police officer when you are sitting in a computer chair away from any trouble and only know one side of the story. The cop had no idea if he had any kind of weapon on him, only that somebody ran away when he approached. That generally not behavior an 'innocent' person does when approached by a cop. For all we know there could have been a string of recent crimes by somebody wearing a suit. Until you put your life on the line to serve and protect I don't think you have any idea what is reasonable and what isn't. There are certainly a lot of bad cops that are just on a powertrip out there. But most of them are generally pretty decent guys in a very risky line of work. A punch to the face and an apology afterwards is a much preferable outcome then ending your shift in a bodybag.

A complaint won't do anything but mark him to actually be harassed by cops in the future.

While I will agree that a punch to the face may not be the best way to subdue somebody fleeing from the cops. But we only have one side of the story told in a way to try and generate sympathy for the OP. In the situation at hand the cop trying to get his hand in the door may have been the only way to try and get at him. And for all we know the 'punch' may have been a graze of his hand while he was trying to grab him.
Advertisement

So, just how would you suggest he word his complaint?

"I am here to complain about this officer who was doing his job, and swiftly and successfully subdued a fleeing suspicious suspect in a manner that conforms to fairly standard procedure across the country."?

Just what happened after the physical part is grounds for filing a complaint.

I understand their job is stressful and hard, but it doesn't give them the right to be a dick. If a police officer acts unprofessionally towards you in any way it makes perfect sense to file a complaint.

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1298072421' post='4776137']
So, just how would you suggest he word his complaint?

"I am here to complain about this officer who was doing his job, and swiftly and successfully subdued a fleeing suspicious suspect in a manner that conforms to fairly standard procedure across the country."?

Just what happened after the physical part is grounds for filing a complaint.
[/quote]

Which was what exactly? Continuing to do his job? A suspect was searched with probable cause, and eventually released after it was decided they were dealing with an idiot and not an actual criminal.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Which was what exactly? Continuing to do his job? A suspect was searched with probable cause, and eventually released after it was decided they were dealing with an idiot and not an actual criminal.

[color=#1C2837][size=2] Afterwards he took me to his car in front of the building and other cops started showing up. He searched my pockets and got quite frustrated when he didn't find anything but the unopened beer can. I pointed out I had not done anything illegal, and he would just shout me down "what, you studied law or something? If you threw anything along the way we'll find it" In the end he had to let me go, saying "enjoy your beer".[/quote]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1C2837"]That kind of stuff is just unprofessional, no matter what you try to paint it as. The tackling and the searching are all fine and to be expected. It's the sum of the smaller things that takes it to being complaint worthy. He didn't have to punch him in the face. He didn't have to be a dick. He could and should have apologized sooner.
[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#1C2837"]The OP definitely made some bad choices, but just because what he did was wrong doesn't make everything the officer did right.

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1298075966' post='4776162']

[color="#1c2837"] Afterwards he took me to his car in front of the building and other cops started showing up. He searched my pockets and got quite frustrated when he didn't find anything but the unopened beer can. I pointed out I had not done anything illegal, and he would just shout me down "what, you studied law or something? If you threw anything along the way we'll find it" In the end he had to let me go, saying "enjoy your beer".[/quote]
[color="#1c2837"]
[color="#1c2837"]That kind of stuff is just unprofessional, no matter what you try to paint it as. The tackling and the searching are all fine and to be expected. It's the sum of the smaller things that takes it to being complaint worthy. He didn't have to punch him in the face. He didn't have to be a dick. He could and should have apologized sooner.

[color="#1c2837"]The OP definitely made some bad choices, but just because what he did was wrong doesn't make everything the officer did right.
[/quote]

Well actually it does, as far as complaints go, because the officier probably has a few reasons to complain about him based on the reasons why he fled, so not getting issues yourself is a pretty good reason to not cause other people issues. And if you don't have anything to gain from it , no reason is required to not cause people issues.

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1298075966' post='4776162']

[color="#1c2837"] Afterwards he took me to his car in front of the building and other cops started showing up. He searched my pockets and got quite frustrated when he didn't find anything but the unopened beer can. I pointed out I had not done anything illegal, and he would just shout me down "what, you studied law or something? If you threw anything along the way we'll find it" In the end he had to let me go, saying "enjoy your beer".[/quote]
[color="#1c2837"]
[color="#1c2837"]That kind of stuff is just unprofessional, no matter what you try to paint it as. The tackling and the searching are all fine and to be expected. It's the sum of the smaller things that takes it to being complaint worthy. He didn't have to punch him in the face. He didn't have to be a dick. He could and should have apologized sooner.

[color="#1c2837"]The OP definitely made some bad choices, but just because what he did was wrong doesn't make everything the officer did right.
[/quote]

Have you ever watched an episode of Cops? Count how many will still claim they're innocent and didn't do anything wrong after the officer pulls a bag of some illegal substance out of the suspect's pocket?

Just because the officer didn't have to be a dick about it doesn't mean he still isn't perfectly within his rights to do so. I have heard a fair number of officers sworn in, and I don't remember any of them uttering the line "And I will never be a dick".
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
[color="#1C2837"]
Have you ever watched an episode of Cops? Count how many will still claim they're innocent and didn't do anything wrong after the officer pulls a bag of some illegal substance out of the suspect's pocket?

Just because the officer didn't have to be a dick about it doesn't mean he still isn't perfectly within his rights to do so. I have heard a fair number of officers sworn in, and I don't remember any of them uttering the line "And I will never be a dick".

I forgot. Because some people have drugs on them it gives police the right to punch whoever they want in the face...

And does canada not have conduct unbecoming laws?

Here's florida's standards (first one to pop up on google for me):

[font=Arial][size=2]Principle Two

Police officers shall refrain from any conduct in an official capacity that detracts from the public's faith in the integrity of the criminal justice system.

Rationale

Community cooperation with the police is a product of its trust that officers will act honestly and with impartiality. The police officer, as the public's initial contact with the criminal justice system, must act in a manner that instills such trust.

Rules

2.1 Police officers shall carry out their duties with integrity, fairness and impartiality.

2.2 Police officers shall not knowingly make false accusations of any criminal ordinance, traffic or other law violation. This provision shall not prohibit the use of deception during criminal investigations or interrogations as permitted under law.

2.3 Police officers shall truthfully, completely and impartially report, testify and present evidence, including exculpatory evidence, in all matters of an official nature. [/font]
[/quote]

[font=Arial][size=2]Principle Three

Police officers shall perform their duties and apply the law impartially and without prejudice or discrimination.

Rationale

Law enforcement effectiveness requires public trust and confidence. Diverse communities must have faith in the fairness and impartiality of their police. Police officers must refrain from fostering disharmony in their communities based upon diversity, and perform their duties without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation or age.

Rules

3.1 Police officers shall provide every person in our society with professional, effective and efficient law enforcement services. [/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][/quote][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]
[/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]
[/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]Principle Five

Police officers shall treat all members of the public courteously and with respect.

Rationale

Police officers are the most visible form of local government. Therefore, police officers must make a positive impression when interacting with the public and each other.

Rules

5.1 Police officers shall exercise reasonable courtesy in their dealings with the public, fellow officers, superiors and subordinates.

5.2 No police officer shall ridicule, mock, deride, taunt, belittle, willfully embarrass, humiliate, or shame any person to do anything reasonably calculated to incite a person to violence.

5.3 Police officers shall promptly advise any inquiring citizen of the Department's complaint procedure, and shall follow the established departmental policy for processing complaints.
[/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][/quote][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]
[/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]
[/font]
And based on what we were told, where exactly did the officer really violate any of them?

We are not talking about an officer who randomly popped some guy in the face as he was walking down the street. He was chasing a suspect who was attempting to evade law enforcement, and applied reasonable force to ensure capture.

The OP gave the officer a bit of lip, and got a few harsh words. Boo-hoo.
We are talking about a punch in the face here!
Excessive force? You pussies (I means the two pussies here)...

Excessive force is breaking my hands or jaws.

I forgot. Because some people have drugs on them it gives police the right to punch whoever they want in the face...

Yes, way to get the story wrong..

Lets look at it from the point of view of the cop; he is driving along and sees someone walking along the street late at night, the person then preceeds to appear to hide something on their person before running off in the direction of a building. Having witness this suspicious event he stops and gives chase,maybe yelling at the person to stop (the OP himself admits he doesn't know if this request was made). The person continues to evade the cop and makes it inside a door at which point the cop catches up and subdues a suspect who has avoided arrest.

The cop then takes the suspect back to his car to search him, having discovered only a can of unopened beer he got frustrated at some guy wasting his time and the time of others (the fact that other cops showed up shows he called this in). The suspect then preceeds to give him some cheeky lip, at which point being human and annoyed at the waste of police time he shouts at the suspect to make him shut up.

The next day he calls the guy up and applogises.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with that at all; you act like a suspect then you'll get treated like one. Chances are the OP WAS told to stop and by not doing so he made himself look even more like a suspect.

The moral of this; don't act like a dick because if you do you might get hurt.

Sound advice if you ask me..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement