Thumbs up, bro!

Started by
91 comments, last by swiftcoder 13 years ago

What is this supposed to be?
http://www.gamedev.n...r-creativ-r2786

It's written like a sales pitch, and Pete Falco, the author works on the photoshop team.

If you read the comments at the bottom he also seems to sell shoes! XD

EDIT: Bah, they just removed it. It was spam for shoes.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement

I don't mind how big the "Like' button is, but I do mind it's color. Hardly anything on the front page is green, mostly it's all blue.
The like button should be a subtle shade of blue also, so it blends better with the page: visible but not disruptive.

Compare:

bluemz.png

[color="#1c2837"]Also, on the news feed, the articles from "http://www.gamesindustry.biz/" you have to register on their site to read. Please don't link to news sites on the front page that require registration. ([color="#1c2837"][size="1"]same comment also submitted to the issue tracker[color="#1c2837"])

On the plus side, your targeted ads are getting better/more relevant. wink.gif

That looks pretty good. I think that could work color-wise.

Adding a new feature means manpower that isn't being spent on addressing bugs, unless you have infinite manpower, which I know is not the case with this site. I'd much rather you focus your efforts on restoring the forums to working order than uglifying the front page. We're talking about usability issues that concretely affect the quality of the forums. The lack of updates in viewing user content means that fewer follow-ups on posts occur. This is a bug that was filed in early January. You know, right after the new software launched. The loss of bookmarks means that many people can no longer find quality content that's been buried by the site's new obsession with showing only new crap. Again, a day one issue.

Also, you're also acting as if new bugs aren't being introduced as these new features go in. Have you noticed yet that post ratings haven't been showing up properly on individual posts? I doubt it, because no one has bothered to look at new issues in the tracker in a couple weeks. So you've fixed about 15 bugs in the last half month. That would sound more impressive if there weren't at least 20 unfiled issues in the problem tracker's bug report section. I'm sure some are duplicates, but it still doesn't sound like any actual progress is being made here.

And then there are the features that you've taken money from users for and still haven't delivered on, which is just bad ethics. See complaints made in the GDNet+ discussion.

The tracker is going to be phased out - we are currently working on all issues out of JIRA because it is a lot more feature complete than the tracker. Bugs are still submitted to the tracker but are just being copied over to JIRA. Kevin said he will see if it's possible to at least send an email back saying that the feedback was received.

"Active Content" contains everything posted within the last 24 hours. We've worked on both Active Content and VLC, put them up on the top of the page under the header - even submitted patches to invisionpower to have them fix it. We've fixed a huge number of problems since the relaunch so I'm not sure what you are referring to if you are implying nothing is getting fixed.

Adding a new feature means manpower that isn't being spent on addressing bugs, unless you have infinite manpower, which I know is not the case with this site. I'd much rather you focus your efforts on restoring the forums to working order than uglifying the front page. We're talking about usability issues that concretely affect the quality of the forums. The lack of updates in viewing user content means that fewer follow-ups on posts occur. This is a bug that was filed in early January. You know, right after the new software launched. The loss of bookmarks means that many people can no longer find quality content that's been buried by the site's new obsession with showing only new crap. Again, a day one issue.

There are other methods in the new version of the site to do exactly what you're talking about. For instance, I subscribe to threads (like this one) or to responses to my posts, so I receive notifications every time someone makes a post. I've also subscribed to certain forums. Given this, how have we not addressed the replacement of bookmarks?

In addition, the Active Content and View Latest Content links have been on the page for over a month. These links actually provide more than "Active Topics" did on the old site because they include content from across the entire site, including the forums, blogs, news, articles, and so on. What additional functionality do they not provide?

Also, you're also acting as if new bugs aren't being introduced as these new features go in. Have you noticed yet that post ratings haven't been showing up properly on individual posts? I doubt it, because no one has bothered to look at new issues in the tracker in a couple weeks. So you've fixed about 15 bugs in the last half month. That would sound more impressive if there weren't at least 20 unfiled issues in the problem tracker's bug report section. I'm sure some are duplicates, but it still doesn't sound like any actual progress is being made here.

And then there are the features that you've taken money from users for and still haven't delivered on, which is just bad ethics. See complaints made in the GDNet+ discussion.
[/quote]
We've actually fixed well over 15 bugs in the last month, but that's besides the point. The important thing is that GDNet is going through change, and rapid change at that. We've started the staff blog to communicate changes and provide updates about the site. We are still deciding how communication on a per-issue basis will be addressed. Something will be done, but that decision has not been made yet. For now, as Mike has mentioned, we've moved to another system to help make us more efficient in addressing and organizing the submitted feedback. As for GDNet+, it's still a work-in-progress and a messy area through all this transition. Recognizing that you don't have all the information, if you think you have better ways to handle it then please post to our mods email list and we can discuss there.

Admin for GameDev.net.

[color="#1C2837"]Also, on the news feed, the articles from "http://www.gamesindustry.biz/" you have to register on their site to read. Please don't link to news sites on the front page that require registration. ([color="#1C2837"][size="1"]same comment also submitted to the issue tracker[color="#1C2837"])

I agree with you and have removed gamesindustry.biz from the feed.

Admin for GameDev.net.

There are other methods in the new version of the site to do exactly what you're talking about. For instance, I subscribe to threads (like this one) or to responses to my posts, so I receive notifications every time someone makes a post. I've also subscribed to certain forums. Given this, how have we not addressed the replacement of bookmarks?

Subscritions = active notification, Bookmarks = passive notification. Seeing as the notification read marking has broken (since the new site launch), the signal-to-noise ratio of active notifications degenerates very quickly. And let's not forget that notifications are single stream, so if I use them to keep track of threads, they are competing directly with private messages and other moderator notifications.

Particularly once a lounge thread like this makes its way into my notifications, chances are that it will rapidly bury any notifications I actually care about - and also require me to obsessively 'mark as read' my notifications if I want feedback when *new* notifications arrive.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

That is true but he is talking about the ones we had and are lost. You know, you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

[quote name='Kevin Hawkins' timestamp='1302886695' post='4798829']

Subscritions = active notification, Bookmarks = passive notification. Seeing as the notification read marking has broken (since the new site launch), the signal-to-noise ratio of active notifications degenerates very quickly. And let's not forget that notifications are single stream, so if I use them to keep track of threads, they are competing directly with private messages and other moderator notifications.

Particularly once a lounge thread like this makes its way into my notifications, chances are that it will rapidly bury any notifications I actually care about - and also require me to obsessively 'mark as read' my notifications if I want feedback when *new* notifications arrive.
[/quote]

You can also use "My Content" in your profile dropdown when you log in to see all the threads you have participated in.

You can also use "My Content" in your profile dropdown when you log in to see all the threads you have participated in.
Yes, I am aware, but it doesn't allow one to mark just particular topics of interest.

Honestly, I am not decrying the new system on this count - notifications are a huge improvement over only having bookmarking on the old site. But it would be really nice to have bookmarking as well...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement