Texturing more than one poly

Started by
6 comments, last by dpadam450 12 years, 5 months ago
unledsvg.jpg

Here is image with the problem: ihave 2 triangles and i really dont know how to map texture. Actually i can select verts and then change their tex coords manually but its a stupid approach :)

i just want to apply this image to those polys (in scale 1:1) unledfla.jpg

but have no idea how to / pls help ofc :P :u

Advertisement
Please dear god go download Blender or some other 3D modeling application. Since you have a carrier, I assume you at least built it yourself? You shouldn't need to write a tool to texture map. And it is simple in blender.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

lololol, yes i built it myself and want to texture it myself too :P
Well whatever 3D tool you use, learn uv mapping. This would take me 1 second to unwrap the air strip in blender and export it. My suggestion though is to make a big texture 1024 or 2048, and put the runway + the ship texture in one texture. This way you don't have to separate the geometry.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

that's not the point. nvm

i think i need to find edges and then compare the distances from one vertex to the first vertex, but how to find edges

Whatever you come up with can only be used to map a quad to a quad, so thats why I am saying it is a waste of time. You won't be able to apply this to the whole ship, so you still have to go and uv map your entire ship inside of 3D studio or Blender. Your edge idea would be very simple if you made it a rectangle instead of 2 triangles, then you just start with 1 vert and loop around using the edges and just start with uv = 0,0, take the next connected edge vertex and set uv=1,0, from there check the next connected vertex and set uv = 1,1

it's sad that you treat me like a noob :)

i know how to map uv to verts....

for me wasting of time is downloading then installing 3dsmax and then learning the stuff... that is not the approach i want to achieve

i dont want to be rude but you are pissing me off xD whats your problem ? if you think that writing an application from beginning is waste of time then fair well but pls do not post that i should use others program

i am not a professional game maker or a graphic designer i have just passion, ever if i created first automatic recognition of analog tachographs did i use third party tools for it?[i do not mean compiler] but "it was a waste of time", yes purely waste of time lol ;)

when i was 14 i wrote my first 3d editing tool and why it was a waste of time [maybe it wasn't perfect but it worked and i use some of it's features nowdays],

you do not understand the basic concept that i want to do everything myself ( well with some help from other people ).

i just want to make multiplayer aircraft simulator yes sure for you its waste of time that you can download or buy other sims but mine will be free, there will be ability to explore whole earth in 3d like google earth + you will be able to create models etc just for fun (i wont write what the application can do now and what i am trying to implement), and it will be free and i do not care that if anyone ever will play this so WHO CARES but the basic concept is to create it without blenders without MS PAINT without third party stuff.. well i use NASA heightmap because how do i get the heightmap of the whole world maybe from "GOD" ahahahahhahh

I hope that post will prevent you from posting pointless posts, thank you! i will figure it out myself, i post questions because i want to get answers that point me into right direction of thinking.

if i write molecular dynamic and atom behaviour application is it waste of time ? for you its surely waste of time but not for me... yes there exists apps for such things and they are accurate but you cant add new funcionality to it [and do not tellme that 3dsmax has its own script language, i created scripted language for my 3d modelling tool when i was right! 14 and i had 1 year in programming experience ]

THAT IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME. I WANT TO LEARN learn and learn, BUT I DO NOT WANT TO LEARN A [Mod edit: stuff] LIKE I HAVE BEEN LEARNING IN SCHOOL YEARS AGO :D

and other thing if i sit on bench with friends talking about nothing and drinking beer you think that it is waste of time for me its not

YOUR answer is right in one specific situation: if i want to eat ham with bread and butter i need to buy it in a store UNLESS I AM THE BUTCHER (or farmer) got point?

---

by the way i think that i should check for coplanar faces group them and then in example calculate one of groups center point then apply uv coords but well for you its a waste of time....

I am really confused, your answers about download blender and map this with blender really piss me off REALLY PISS ME OFF the best of your thinking can be described as this how the [Mod edit: goodness me] i am supposed to import my model to blender ohhh sure i need to write a exporter to most common file format that program can read in example obj file well some loops some grouping and done and this is really a waste of time or you think that 'god' or my neighbour do it for me and i wont waste my time then huh?

nooo please do not reply this just read it and shut the hell up it will be nice to lock this topic or delete it because it's meaningless

you remind me those pricks from my team that steal in example tank or helicopter when i am repairing it in battlefield, my friend has a nice word for those guys and the word is:

[Mod edit: Delightful]

[Mod edit: More nonsensical rambling removed]

[size="7"][color="#ff0000"]have a nice [Mod edit: Enjoyable] day
[Mod edit: fire is not fought with fire around here, kthxbai.]

i know how to map uv to verts....[/quote]
That is what you are asking right? How to map your verts into a UV space. My suggestion was walk the edges:

Your edge idea would be very simple if you made it a rectangle instead of 2 triangles, then you just start with 1 vert and loop around using the edges and just start with uv = 0,0, take the next connected edge vertex and set uv=1,0, from there check the next connected vertex and set uv = 1,1[/quote]

you do not understand the basic concept that i want to do everything myself [/quote]
Well if you want to do EVERYTHING then why not write an OS to program your flight sim on. Instead of using opengl/directx why not write your own interface? So to some degree you have to realize you cant do everything. And if you have never unwrapped a 3D model in another tool, then programming your own is going to be hard. Seriously your not going to use photoshop or MSpaint? I think you actually are 14 by the way you act and that your game is never going to be made, let alone sold because your textures will never get built to a professional game standard.

If you want a realistic answer then to "How do I write my own unwrap tool" then you can start with basic projection. Take your 4 points, and run them through your modelviewprojection matrix to get the actual pixels values of your vertices. So view from the top down, compute the vertices to pixels and then you can put them in UV space.

1.) your an asshole and I won't try to help you after this because 1: Everyone uses these tools, you are not cool for making your own, and its going to take you years to complete your game at this rate of "DO EVERYTHING IM THE BEST I PROGRAM WHEN I WAS 14 IM EINSTEIN". 2.) The fact is, you don't know what you are getting into because of this statement:

Actually i can select verts and then change their tex coords manually but its a stupid approach[/quote]
EVERYONE in any application ever built to UV map, has to manually edit texture coordinates. Your whole ship doesn't just go into a 3D function and magically map to something useable. You still have to manually manipulate them. You have to make seams, pin vertices in UV space, move them, fill in your space properly. UV unwrapping is an art skill. It takes some time.

[Mod edit: more irrelevancy.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement