Need a new name...

Started by
38 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 6 months ago
Hello.
I need a new name for my 'Game studio' (really it's just me :/). I had venom interactive first, but it just didn't sound right - so then I went for lvl2 games which is the best I came up with. then it turned into vortex games - which was already taken, now I'm currently at Trinity Games, which is taken by triniti games on the app store on the iphone.

It's not a MAJOR worry (I keep that back for the games) but I'm never satisfied...
I have thought about other querky names, like "Leg Of Lamb Games" which gets shortened down to "LOL", or maybe "Brutal"

My current logo is here : http://postimage.org/image/5pizyz9gt/
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers
Advertisement
Game company name generator.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
What's a hobby of yours completely unrelated to games or something you are passionate about? (activities, people, places, things?)

Look around at random things and pick some things that stand out.

Doing the latter I came up with:
  • Trophy Tower (there is a trophy on top of my PC tower)
  • Blue Pig Games (I have a pig on my tower also and there is something blue immediately to my right)
  • Tea Rex Games (I have tea on my desk and googled Tea puns)
  • Dirty Spoon
  • etc.
Or just open the dictionary to a random page, toss a pen/pencil, and pick whatever word it's pointing at until your pleased. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to come up with a hundred or so ideas.

Call it "<your last name> Holdings" and be done with it the company naming game forever, regardless of what your company even does. Nobody cares what a company is named. You could even do a random string of 3 letters and it would be fine. Now get back to work :)

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Game company name generator.

This just gave me "Fresh Women Games". That's right, folks! You asked for it and now, coming this Fall from Fresh Women Games: Summer's Eve: The Game. The first ever video game based on a commercial!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Okay, so Game Company Name Generator may not be the best idea. With every studio using Random-cool-sounding-word-here Studios or some such, use something more realistic to what you're doing. Crunchtime Games? Still sounds cool to the end user while being a nudge-and-a-wink to other developers.

[EDIT]
Nope. Taken.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
[color="#1C2837"]I have thought about other querky names[/quote]
[color="#1C2837"]
That's kind of funny because I just happened to have recently sat in for an indie game presentation by a company called "Cwerky Studios" which to them was a quirky was of spelling "quirky". With that in mind, try to keep it as searchable on the internet as possible, because Google tried to correct my spelling of "Cwerky".
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development
I think that games company name generator works like a charm!
It gave me Island Girls United and Damaged Airship Studio.

Damaged Airship Studio is the most brilliant damn thing ever! xD
try to keep it as searchable on the internet as possible, because Google tried to correct my spelling of "Cwerky".

Very good point.

If Google can't find it, or intensively point to something different with a similar name, you failed.

[quote name='JustChris' timestamp='1321654268' post='4885425']try to keep it as searchable on the internet as possible, because Google tried to correct my spelling of "Cwerky".

Very good point.

If Google can't find it, or intensively point to something different with a similar name, you failed.
[/quote]

...which is funny, considering Google is a quirky misspelling of the number googol.
Daniel Molnar
MCTS: MS SQL 2008 and .NET Framework 4
[email="daniel@murmix.com"]daniel@murmix.com[/email]

Murmixsoft
http://www.murmix.com
IMO, it might be a good idea to shy away from "Trinity Games," to avoid a possible religious connotation. Or any other connotation, really--I feel like that's the sort of name that works best if the company is based around three people or things coming together, so if that's not the case, it might not be a great fit.

I like the idea that way2lazy2care suggested: look around for something around you that means something to you, and use that as the basis for your company's name. You can use random word generators to come up with something quirky, but if you choose something that has some meaning to you, you might feel more attached to it and more inclined to stick with it.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement