Applying for EA Sweden internship

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 4 months ago
Hello. My name is Minas, and I am Computer Science student at my 2nd year of studies. I am going to apply for internship at EA Sweden. A resume is required, so I wrote mine: Please take a moment to skim it, and comment on what you think should be done to make it better.

Thank you for you time:

[font="Consolas, monospace"][size="5"]

Minas Mina[/font]

E-MAIL GOES HERE

[font="Consolas, monospace"]Computer Science Student[/font]

[size="3"]

CAREER OBJECTIVE

To work as a game programmer, being a member of a team that creates unique and fun games.

[size="3"]

EDUCATION

I am a Computer Science student at University Of Cyprus, currently in my 2[sup]nd[/sup] year. My GPA at the current time is 8.96 (out of 10). I expect to graduate in June 2014.

[size="3"]

TECHNICHAL PROFICIENCIES

Programming Languages: C, C++, C#, Java
Scripting Languages: Ruby
IDEs: Microsoft Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, Eclipse (for Java)
Compilers: VC compiler, GCC

[size="3"]

GAME DEVELOPMENT

High School:

• Three very simple games in Visual Basic (one of which is Tic Tac Toe – 2P only)

University:

• Developed a “Memory” game as a semester project, working on Ubuntu and Windows

• Developed two games by myself

• Currently developing a 2D game using SDL for graphics, irrklang for audio and Box2D for physics. The game is nearly finished. Here you can see a sample video of the pre-release version.

The games created in University mentioned above can be found here.
Advertisement

[font=Consolas, monospace]Computer Science Student[/font]

Take out this line and in your education section do something like the following.

EDUCATION

University Of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus

Major: Computer Science (or whatever the program is actually refered to by the institution as) GPA: 8.96 out of 10 Expected Graduation: June, 2014

Your career objective is fairly vanilla. I'd either make it more interesting or take it out completely if you can't do that.

Developed two games by myself[/quote]

This definitely needs more elaboration. This should be the first bullet point, and it should be more specific as this is probably one of your most important bullet points.

Currently developing a 2D game using SDL for graphics, irrklang for audio and Box2D for physics. The game is nearly finished. [color="#0f72da"]Here you can see a sample video of the pre-release version.[/quote]

I'd change this to: D[size="2"]eveloping a 2D game using SDL, irrklang and Box2D nearing completion. A sample video is available [size="2"][color="#0f72da"]Here.

[size="2"]One thing just in general, Try to use less sentences for pure information. You don't need to say "My GPA is blah blah blah" when you can just do, "GPA: X out of Y." The information needs to be quickly accessible. Your resume needs to push as much information in as small a time period/space as possible.

[size="2"]Also use bold/italics to make things stand out. I noticed you did it some already, but a lot of people miss that. "GPA: X out of Y" is harder to parse than "GPA: X out of Y." Mostly it's just about making the required information as easy to find as possible and the important information stand out as much as possible.

is the edit button gone for posts now? sad.png edit: it looks like it just doesn't show up right after you post <_< Now I know this.

I was going to add that this would probably do better if it were moved to "Breaking In"
Thank you very much :)

I have made the changes you suggested and it's ready to be sent! Thanks again!
Looking at it from my view:

---
I am a Computer Science student at University Of Cyprus, currently in my 2[sup]nd[/sup] year. My GPA at the current time is 8.96 (out of 10). I expect to graduate in June 2014.
---

Way2Lazy2Care pointed out the usual formatting, but there is more to it. You should include actual projects you have done that prepared you to work for the job. Tell me about a project (not a class) where you collaborated with other students. Tell me about actual projects you have done and the programming languages you used.

---

TECHNICHAL PROFICIENCIES

Programming Languages: C, C++, C#, Java
Scripting Languages: Ruby
IDEs: Microsoft Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, Eclipse (for Java)
Compilers: VC compiler, GCC
---

This is a mostly-useless block. You simply state the languages that you claim to be proficient at, but you provide no evidence. This is why every project should list the details of what you did and the languages and tools you used. Then the employer gets to decide if that is proficiency or not.

---
Three very simple games in Visual Basic (one of which is Tic Tac Toe – 2P only)
---

Again this could mean very different things. Tic Tac Toe is a common simple assignment to demonstrate mastery of a few simple topics. It can also be implemented as a large-scale commercial application. If the former it barely warrants a mention; if the latter it deserves a paragraph or more since you are a beginner.

• Developed a “Memory” game as a semester project, working on Ubuntu and Windows
  • Developed two games by myself
  • Currently developing a 2D game using SDL for graphics, irrklang for audio and Box2D for physics. The game is nearly finished. Here you can see a sample video of the pre-release version.

These are a little better. The last one is the best of the set, but every one of them can be expanded. What were the "two games by myself"? (The name doesn't matter, the concepts and genres are what matter.) What languages did you use? Was it a solitary project or a group project?

Very importantly, is there source code or an executable or a video of each one that will impress your future employer? Simple videos of a completed project go a long way to getting a job; a running executable can also help, but can also hurt if they cannot run it or have critical bugs.

There is nothing in there about previous job experience. At an entry level it is useful to provide evidence that you can actually hold a job, show up to work every day, and do assigned tasks. If you have held any job such as working retail, fast food, custodial, or whatever else, you should include that work history as well.
Thank you very much for your help!

I have made the following changes:

• I have removed my knowledge of C# and Java because I don't have any proof like you said.
  • Removed the "visal basic games" section as those games aren't really games (they essentially suck)
  • Added a table containing information about my developed games

I have not had any previous work experiences - other than being a waiter at a restaurant for the summer (which I think is irrelevant here)
All of my projects were my own projects, as we have not done any games in college in teams.

I am also uploading the resume here.

2ym69om.jpg
In my opinion, your waiter job should be listed. It shows that you understand the concept of "job."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hey guys! I'm curious about the average age for a internship candidate..
I mean, I am 29 year old and want to work in this industry. But as I don't have experience working with professional games, I think the only way in is through a internship program. Is it too late for me?
1. I'm curious about the average age for a internship candidate..
2. I think the only way in is through a internship program.
3. Is it too late for me?

1. That's a bad question. But the answer is "21"

2. That's a dumb thought. Internships are for young students. You have to consider the motivations of those companies who take on interns, and then consider whether your situation really does fit with their motivations. You are far past the internship window. So you have to do the thing young students can't do and wish they could -- show your awesomeness with a portfolio and a resume, and switch careers into games from your former career. Read FAQ 41 (you can get to the FAQs by going back out to the Breaking In forum and looking for Getting Started, upper right).

3. Too late for an internship, yes. Too late to start a career in games? Read FAQ 71.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement