Tritium

Started by
613 comments, last by GameDev.net 11 years, 5 months ago
This image basically shows a Windows commmand prompt (i.e. DOS box) with graphics accelerated background and rendering.

The Tritium project is a Windows command line environment, it lets you run builds, scripts, source control, comilers, and basically anything else you would run from the command line but in a fully-rendered DirectX environment. It features glowing text, cursors, animated backgrounds, and is completely customizable.

I started this project because I work from the command line a great deal, and wanted a slick looking environment. I wanted glowing cursors, glowing text, and the ability to switch to a true full-screen mode.

You can find a demo of this project at http://www.stewdogdigital.com/try.html

Click here to view the iotd
Advertisement
Very nice. i will use this!
Code makes the man
Very, nice. It may just be for this screenshot, but I recommend not having the colors of the text area cooincide wit the animating background. It tended to wash out some text.
Pretty cool... seems to eat some serious cpu and normally I want my terminals to be fairly light weight consideration they are often use to run other executables. I am glad it is at least proof that you don't have to use the crappy windows terminal shell program which all shell systems seem to run in on windows like putty, cmd, cygwin, git-bash, etc.
Douglas Eugene Reisinger II
Projects/Profile Site
Looks awesome! Tried it out and was very happy with it until I tried to connect to my mysql database, password handling doesn't seem to be supported or is bugged.
Thank you Mussi!

I was able to login and run database scripts from the command line, but not launch the mysql interactive interpreter. Kind of disappointing. It might be that the interpreter uses console APIs to manipulate text, screen measurements, and so on. Tritium is really just for running basic IO commands on the command line. In 2.0 I hope to support full console applications and PowerShell.

I use Tritium for source control, builds, network analysis, and shell work like finding files, listing directories, and whatnot.

That said, I was able to access mysql with a username, password, and database and run scripts from the command line using file redirection:

mysql.jpg
Nerd vanity at its finest. Pretty sweet though -- maybe you can license it to Hollywood for the next bad Sci-fi/Hacker movie :)

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Also noticed that when selecting with the mouse, I can only select from start to end and not the other way around.
Finally, we can have console windows as slick looking as the Linux guys.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development
For added slickness, add an option for 'Copy on select', and 'middle or right mouse button for paste' - this is fairly common with Linux terms, putty etc, and is a very smooth way of operating :)

It also doesn't quite follow the codepage of the keyboard, being a UK user I find all my quotes and @ switched around.

Apart from that, very slick, very pretty, would quite like to use this :) Some form of tabs would be nice too...

:P

Twitter: [twitter]CaffinePwrdAl[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement