Dynamic texture allocation problem

Started by
1 comment, last by returnONE 12 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time implementing a dynamic texture loader with OpenGL (and SDL).
So far I've created a dynamic list, where the nodes keep pointer to the textures and I can add or delete any members of it, any time, where each scene of the game (splash, menu, in-game, etc) have its list and control its textures to be used, and it works perfectly.

Unfortunatelly I've stucked in a point.
The function glGenTextures() asks for a predetermined number of textures in the very begining of the application.
I've researched about it, and got that glGenTextures() simply determine IDs to the textures, but do not alloc it.

My question here is, how can I load my textures dynamically, since OpenGL seems to limit it in a way that I have to predetermine the number of textures?

Current texture load source:

SetMyImageList(LoadImage("Data/Images/Splash.png"), "Splash");
GetMyImageList()->NewNode(LoadImage("Data/Images/Splash2.png"), "Splash2");

- image is defined in my class
- pimage is a pointer to image. the list require the image data as a pointer.

GLuint* Scene::LoadImage(char* fileName)
{
GLuint* pimage;
pimage = ℑ
SDL_Surface* surface = IMG_Load(fileName);
if (!surface) {
fprintf(stderr, "Unable to load image: %s\n", SDL_GetError());
SDL_Quit();
}
//GLuint* teste = GetImageAddess();
glGenTextures(1, &image);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, image);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR); // scale linearly when image bigger than texture
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR); // scale linearly when image smalled than texture
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, surface->w, surface->h, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surface->pixels);
wTex = surface->w;
hTex = surface->h;
return pimage;
}
Advertisement
You can call glGenTextures as many times as you want. When adding a texture, call glGenTextures(1, &handle); where handle is a single GLuint.
Sorry for the delay!
Yes, glGenTextures gives me an ID to each texture that I ask for being loaded. I can simply consider the number it gives me.
Everything went better then expected. smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement