I want to make a game

Started by
19 comments, last by menyo 12 years, 2 months ago
Yes. We have the tutorials for learning how to create models, textures and animation. Can you kindly provide us books for learning it all from ping pong to heavy games like fps. We are using XNA 4.0 which is for C#.net and 3DS MAX 2012.
Advertisement

I have a question:

I am currently working with a group of 20 friends. You can consider us as indie game developers. We want to make a fps game but for that we need a little help as we are only at our learning stage. We have figured out how an object is made, textured and animated in 3ds max 2012. We know that XNA game studio 4.0 is good for us beginners as we know visual C#.net quite enough. But we cant figure out four things:

1) How this stuff works from start to end? As in a model is created, textured.........all the way up to the state that the model is programmed to do numerous stuff according to its animated stuff

2) Can you suggest us books so that 3D Graphic Designing, 3D Programming, Audio Editing becomes easy for us.

3) For the programmers: A game can be programmed in only one computer. But i want that our group of programmers should work together on one project instead of one programming and others just looking.

4) Are we lost or are we getting somewhere with this amount of knowledge as yet?

Note: Please dont suggest any game engine nor do we want to make one. We just want to make a game as cool as bf3 and we will work our backs into it to get it done.
Can you help us please? We will be greatful! smile.png

Regards,
Rayyan Tahir

if you are going to use c# google for "ankhsvn" get the newest version and install it, with this you can synchronize projects. It's so usefull when working in teams on a project. Make sure to work object oriented and not all in one class cause then it's gonna be a mess. 20 people is a lot of people at the start of a project, make sure everyone gets tasks that dont overlap and most important of all. Before you start programming make a design document. Make sure everyone knows how the project will look like design wise and code wise.

hope this helps a bit.

Also you can get Microsoft XNA GameStudio 4.0 for C# if you didn't do that yet.

I have a question:

I am currently working with a group of 20 friends. You can consider us as indie game developers. We want to make a fps game but for that we need a little help as we are only at our learning stage. We have figured out how an object is made, textured and animated in 3ds max 2012. We know that XNA game studio 4.0 is good for us beginners as we know visual C#.net quite enough. But we cant figure out four things:

1) How this stuff works from start to end? As in a model is created, textured.........all the way up to the state that the model is programmed to do numerous stuff according to its animated stuff

2) Can you suggest us books so that 3D Graphic Designing, 3D Programming, Audio Editing becomes easy for us.

3) For the programmers: A game can be programmed in only one computer. But i want that our group of programmers should work together on one project instead of one programming and others just looking.

4) Are we lost or are we getting somewhere with this amount of knowledge as yet?

Note: Please dont suggest any game engine nor do we want to make one. We just want to make a game as cool as bf3 and we will work our backs into it to get it done.

Regards,
Rayyan Tahir

1. Model, map, texture, rig and animate the object in a (or several) 3D app. Then import the model in you language of choice, for XNA you should export it to .fbx and it will be ready to go to load into a a model instance.

Model themodel;
themodel = Content.Load<Model>("Path/Model_Name");

2. Just get a XNA4.0 book should do the trick.
http://www.amazon.co...rds=xna&x=0&y=0

3. Look into source controll software. Can't help you on that since i never used it.

4. May sound rude, but i think you guys are very lost. It seams there is little knowledge in your team and the target is something as epic as BF. Each of you should target something as epic as PONG first. Did any of you guys finished a small project like that already? On the other hand you might learn a good deal from this but don't expect the project to finish.
Thanks [color="#284b72"]JFBauer =) I'll look into that.
Thanks Menyo =). No that wasn't at all rude. I understand why i need to start from simple. do you mean pong in 3D or 2D?

[quote name='CoOlDud3' timestamp='1329140125' post='4912585']
I have a question:

Regards,
Rayyan Tahir

if you are going to use c# google for "ankhsvn" get the newest version and install it, with this you can synchronize projects. It's so usefull when working in teams on a project. Make sure to work object oriented and not all in one class cause then it's gonna be a mess. 20 people is a lot of people at the start of a project, make sure everyone gets tasks that dont overlap and most important of all. Before you start programming make a design document. Make sure everyone knows how the project will look like design wise and code wise.

hope this helps a bit.

Also you can get Microsoft XNA GameStudio 4.0 for C# if you didn't do that yet.
[/quote]

I went to ankhsvn. I tried to download it but it gives me an empty white page.
I would start pong in 2D, it's the most simplistic since you won't need to setup matrixes, camera, shaders and work with depth. If you can make pong then you probably can make arkanoid, and with enough inspiration you can make a very cool arkanoid that a lot of people might want to play. 20 People for a pong game is overkill btw, so let every programmer do there own pong clone, and let the artists work on sound and the images for this one and that arkanoid game. This is where i started off, well atleast with XNA, prior to xna i had done some very basic tutorials for C# and text based game. But i still lacked the experience to make something properly in XNA since i didn't know all the basics of C# and OOP.

This does not give me a white page...
http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/

I would start pong in 2D, it's the most simplistic since you won't need to setup matrixes, camera, shaders and work with depth. If you can make pong then you probably can make arkanoid, and with enough inspiration you can make a very cool arkanoid that a lot of people might want to play. 20 People for a pong game is overkill btw, so let every programmer do there own pong clone, and let the artists work on sound and the images for this one and that arkanoid game. This is where i started off, well atleast with XNA, prior to xna i had done some very basic tutorials for C# and text based game. But i still lacked the experience to make something properly in XNA since i didn't know all the basics of C# and OOP.

Okay we will start on pong and arkanoid right away. Thanks man =)

[quote name='CoOlDud3' timestamp='1329144930' post='4912614']

[/quote]

http://www.open.collab.net/downloads/subversion/thankyou_ankh.html?_=d
its this link that gave me the white page. it appears when i hit the download button. =(

[quote name='menyo' timestamp='1329145075' post='4912617']
[quote name='CoOlDud3' timestamp='1329144930' post='4912614']

[/quote]

http://www.open.coll...u_ankh.html?_=d
its this link that gave me the white page. it appears when i hit the download button. =(
[/quote]

Problem fixed!. Went to compatibility view and then back to original view. Was using IE9

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement