Most over-rated game of all time

Started by
106 comments, last by JoeBoris 12 years ago
Are there any games that you've ever played that are just bad, or even good but waaaay over-rated?
(rant incoming)
Ever so much that it just disgusts you and actually makes you question following your dreams?

Just like people who are really passionate about movies criticize hollywood for spitting out garbage, except normally that garbage doesn't make them billions of dollars and become the most successful entertainment launches of all time. Or just like people who are passionate about music hate that many pop singers and rappers sell music with crappy ten second loop computer generated beats and meaningless lyrics about drinking alcohol and "f**king b**ches"

I realize I'm ranting now so sorry you had to read this. Also I'm realizing that I can really only think of a couple games that I've played that this applies to

So anyway whether you're that passionate about it or not, list your over-rated games, rant, whatever

Edit:

Mine are CoD and Angry Birds, just because CoD is not particularly well made and really doesn't have that much lasting appeal. Although it is fun for a few games here and there, they gain a bulk of their sales and popularity through means other than actually making a fun high quality game. Also Angry Birds because it's the top selling phone app of all time, but 90% of the people who buy it probably don't know that it's just a clone of free flash games on the internet
Advertisement
Most of the recent MMORPGs have been very overrated and overhyped. Angry Birds is a good game thought but they have been very lucky to gain the success they have as this type of play is nothing new, but of course they implemented it well and in the right time.
[size=2]Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery and everything else web.. now also trying my hand on games.

Most of the recent MMORPGs have been very overrated and overhyped. Angry Birds is a good game thought but they have been very lucky to gain the success they have as this type of play is nothing new, but of course they implemented it well and in the right time.

Yeah I'm all for using and improving on old ideas, but it irritates me that similar games or even exact clones sell so much. Like MW3 for example, I'm sure you've heard, is basically a MW2 map pack. Although, I'm glad game ideas like Angry Birds are shared with more people who previously hadn't played them. It just kinda reminds me of when Guitar Hero came out, kids would say stuff like "Have you heard that song Sweet Child of Mine by Guitar Hero?" (maybe I just have a hipster attitude)

Anyway you're right about MMOs. Rift was supposed to be a "WoW killer", and SWToR sucks apparently too lol
So, basically, modern consumer marketing is painful to watch?
^
At the moment: Draw Something

So, basically, modern consumer marketing is painful to watch?

Am I wrong?
nail meet hammer! right on the head! Modern marketing just makes me squirm. It's like they don't even know who their main audience is... oh wait... they don't, the commercials prove it. They always target the easy blatant demographics. Maybe thats marketing 101, I dunno... if it is... I think we're worse off as a society than I realized :)

It's like they don't even know who their main audience is... They always target the easy blatant demographics.

Maybe the problem is that you think you're their main audience?

[quote name='Net Gnome' timestamp='1334666160' post='4932112']
It's like they don't even know who their main audience is... They always target the easy blatant demographics.

Maybe the problem is that you think you're their main audience?[/quote]
QFE. The main audience is whatever audience will drive the most sales.

You may not like any of Angry Birds, Draw Something, or Modern Warfare 3 - but their profit margins demonstrate admirably that they did indeed find a suitable audience.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement