A Nameless Dread - Naming a Character in an MMO

Started by
24 comments, last by Humble Hobo 11 years, 10 months ago
In MMOs, as opposed to single player games, the character is *you*. You socialize, you send messages to others, all done under your nickname. People use the same or similar name for all games, very similarly to the forum. Here we have Servant of the Lord, Luke2006, Stormynature. Ask them to change their names to something that would fit the theme of this forum better and observe their reactions :)

Example. You are a gaming clan, you found out a new MMO, you think it's fun to play, so the leader of your clan register ther and, as always, use his "real" nickname LazyRaccon which is obvious because you all know him by this name and it would be confusing otherwise. It does not matter what game it is, if it is space or SF, he has to use the same name or his frined/clan mates won't know who he is.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

• Accented characters are allowed, but no more than three total.

Good suggestions, except this one.
Accents aren't decorations, as english speaking people seem to think, they actually mean stuff in the languages that use them :)
I'd like to use all valid characters of my local locale...
I think making a distinction between the players name and the characters name would also be ok. Similar to the way it works in Diablo3 except maybe even with generated names. So the player can call himself D00mbr1ngZ0r420 if he wants to and that name also gets displayed most of the time to other players. But as far as NPCs etc are concerned they use the lore friendly name of your character...
In Everquest (the first one), at least at the start, all player names on the RP (role play) servers had to pass through a human filter; i.e. an online gamemaster approved (or not) the requested name.

Seriously.

This worked quite well when it worked well, however, just as any system relying on people, it was only as reliable as the people involved. Back then GMs didn't get the training nor were they monitored as GMs today are; they pretty much did what they wished. Many took the name approval seriously, others didn't.
Check out my game design blog!
I find that apostrophes are also abused in NPC names as well (not technically a bad thing). Especially in fantasy, names like "[color=#000000][font=Times]

En'lor", "

[/font][color=#000000][font=Times]

Urn'ar'aun", and "

Ny'skel" give the illusion of a fictional language, while really it's just some apostrophes.

Again nothing wrong with that! In fact, I think it's a good idea to allow an apostrophe or two because it does present the illusion of an underlying language.

[/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times]

Ultimately, I think I favor a generic ruleset rather than a pre-set list. (Although 'earning' combinational name chunks would be fun -- thanks Secran Altun).[/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times]

In the end this rather supports the concept that the players are originally from Earth, and so exceptionally diverse names are to be expected, and only add to the immersion.[/font]

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1338272516' post='4944260']

• Accented characters are allowed, but no more than three total.

Good suggestions, except this one.
Accents aren't decorations, as english speaking people seem to think, they actually mean stuff in the languages that use them smile.png
I'd like to use all valid characters of my local locale...
[/quote]

Yea, but regardless of what they are, they are used as decorations by Americans in a very annoying way. I've never seen legitimate accented names with more than a couple (but then again, I don't have much experience internationally).
If it's actually a common thing (having more than three in a single word/name), then raise the limit. If users abuse it, lower the limit. I'd like them to be used properly, but I'd rather not use them at all (or limit them artificially) if they are abused.

This breaks immersion: ?ÕÖl?u?
This increases immersion (to me): François or d'Lõiuse
They have to be used sparingly for my American-esqe view to be increase immersion and not break it. Even "d'Lõiuse" ("Of/From Lõiuse"), while valid, is pushing it for me. If you're releasing it primarily for the American market, it'd be better to err on the side of caution, IMO, or else you'd waste alot of moderator energy monitoring it.

Or, how's this for a compromise: Allow as many accented characters as you want, but if anymore than two accents are used, automatically (silently) put it up for a moderator to view on the "List of names to be approved". If the moderator approves it, it's permanently recorded to auto-approve next time.

B. use a configurable name generator much like an appearance tool to generate a user name.

Could the parameters given into an appearance editor by the player be used to secretly generate a name in the background while the player is creating their character? Of course there would be a thousand players who designed their player to look like the latest hollywood hero with identical names, but this could be gotten around.

If the different design parameters allowed enough diversity, could the game potentially get away with vetoing identical players (both appearance wise and name wise)?
If the different design parameters allowed enough diversity, could the game potentially get away with vetoing identical players (both appearance wise and name wise)?

Interesting idea -- a name generated by looks. Potentially, yes. Ultimately no, because I think it detracts too much without gaining anything substantial.

1. Developer - wants unique names among all the characters on a server, and avoid stupid or offensive names.
2. Player - wants to name their character whatever anything (including stupid and offensive names)

On one hand, players will most likely be outraged if the naming is too constrained. Some modularity can be accepted if there's enough diversity, and some players just won't care either way, but many will be annoyed. Most MMO gamers have a favorite set of character names, and would feel slighted if they couldn't use them (especially if no one could). To have your name auto-generated for you would feel a bit controlling.

On the other hand... well why do developers care about unique names anyways? To give them a feeling of individuality and purpose? Or as some unique id for programming reasons? Come to think of it I'm not sure why it's advantageous to force uniqueness.

I'm tipped towards thinking that a set of reasonable naming guidelines to avoid outright stupid, offensive, or haXX0r names would do just fine. Players might even be more willing to understand why they can't use numbers or symbols if it's possible to be incorporated into the lore of the world.
My feeling towards names in any type of game is depending on what type of game it is. Doing some observation on different games fps vs. RPG or rts most people will try to make names that are relevant to the lore in rpgs where as in fps they will choose a name that will make them stand out when they make a kill or an intimidating name in rts.
So in the case of having a game where the player gets added into the lore and if it is know ahead of time you’re going to have a fair amount of players that will make a name to fit the lore but for the other side you will have trolls trying to rip people out of the lore

With that in mind I would say a good set of rules would be aimed at charters. Lettering and numbering in any consecutive manner and no special char like !@@#$+_() and as servant of the lord had mentioned above with the capitals. Pretty much looking at what most griefers put as names you can limit right off the bat. Past that have the names show up in lore would be the best way for any moderator to black list them.
If its a hardcore RP game I guess that people would agree to get their name chosen by the faith (random rp'ish name generator), and you could let them pick a single word alphabetical name to use it as a nickname: "John 'Rabbitrapist' Smith"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement