Binary Search Help Repost.

Started by
21 comments, last by ????? ?????? 11 years, 10 months ago
I wan't to print "Not found" if a value which isn't found in the array is entered by the user.
Advertisement

I wan't to print "Not found" if a value which isn't found in the array is entered by the user.

I understand what you want, but in order to debug, we need to know what happens.
What happens instead?

Does it even print "whatever key is in position -1"?

Does the program work as expected when the key is found?

I don't know what we are debugging here.
Input? I'm not even sure you can input a single key like that. Doesn't cin input a string?
The algorithm? It should be fine
The output? Does it print anything at all?

Please, don't make us to setup a project and recomplie/debug the thing for you.
One problem is that your loop:
for(int i = beg; i <= end;)
{
mid = (beg+end)/2;

if(data[mid] == searchKey)
return mid;

else if(data[mid] > searchKey)
end = mid - 1;

else if(data[mid] < searchKey)
beg = mid + 1;
}

doesn't exit if the search target is not in the array. You should probably replace for(int i=beg;i<=end;) with while(beg<end), especially since the i variable is not doing anything.
I replaced for with while that helped. Thank You. @ szecs you're not the only one who didn't notice it smile.png . In another forum also, someone has just now figured it. THank you'll

--Sid
O wow, I didn't see there's no i++ in the for loop.
So indeed, you have an infinite loop.

It would have been much easier if you explained what happened in the very first place. I didn't know we have to debug the whole thing.

Please, learn to ask questions and learn to describe the problems in detail.

O wow, I didn't see there's no i++ in the for loop.
So indeed, you have an infinite loop.

It would have been much easier if you explained what happened in the very first place. I didn't know we have to debug the whole thing.

Please, learn to ask questions and learn to describe the problems in detail.

Sorry... Actually I didn't know there was a problem there. tongue.png
Assuming that array is sorted that way, I believe one solution to the endless loop can be:
if(found != NULL)
cout << searchKey << " is in position " << found << endl;
else
cout << "Element not found.\n";
}
for(int i = beg; i <= end;)
{
mid = (beg+end)/2;

if(data[mid] == searchKey)
{
return mid;
}
else if(data[mid] > searchKey)
{
if(searchKey > data[mid-1]) //if searchKey is greater than the immediate previous element then searchKey not exists in array
return NULL;
end = mid - 1;
}
else if(data[mid] < searchKey)
{
if(searchKey < data[mid+1]) //similar to above comment
return NULL;
beg = mid + 1;
}
}

stuff...

As you are probably aware, indexing in C++ starts with zero. And NULL is zero too, so your code is not working as intended.

Plus your code is a lot more messy (with no gain at all) than the original code with the while, and it only breaks the loop with sorted lists.
@szecs
you're right about NULL, i could use a number like -999 as a flag. But what do you mean by saying break the loop with sorted lists and the original code with while, i think there isn't while loop in original code. I just tried to avoid endless loop in a simple way. Maybe I'm missing something...
What RulerOfNothing said. Use the while(beg<end) instead of the buggy for, but with the same contents like in the first post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement