Viability of GLUT in commercial products

Started by
2 comments, last by Alex Melbourne 11 years, 10 months ago
I wanted to know if it was a good idea to use freeGlut in a commercial quality product or if I should go with something like SFML or SDL.
Any explanation would also be nice.

thanks,
Ben
Advertisement

I wanted to know if it was a good idea to use freeGlut in a commercial quality product or if I should go with something like SFML or SDL.
Any explanation would also be nice.

thanks,
Ben

If it works for you then its fine to use commercially as well, it is however worth remembering that glut was only intended as a support library for the OpenGL Redbook examples, it lacks alot of things that you will need in a game (sound, proper input, etc). and it does steal your mainloop which gets quite annoying after a while. (You can solve sound and input using additional libraries such as OpenAL)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
GLUT is from 2001. When you say "GLUT", I suppose you are using freeglut?

Anyway, I think glfw is a better choice. It is not based on legacy OpenGL, and it has a smaller impact (leaving main loop to you). It also has a good active support.
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
Honestly I've only ever thought of GLUT as something that should be used in tutorials. It's not very open to control. That said Amnesia: The Dark Descent actually contains the DLL file for it so I can only assume that it's included.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement