Standalone build always fails

Started by
9 comments, last by ????????? 11 years, 9 months ago
I am having a serious problem with Unity. I decided to start working with it 2 days ago and everything went fine until I wanted to build & run a simple game I created. The "game" is basically just composed of a scene with a terrain, a cube, the included Constructor model in Unity, and a script I wrote to make the model go to where I click my mouse on the terrain.
But these are all irrelevant details. Inside of Unity, I can press the play button and everything works wonderful. I can build a web player and it works great. However when I go ahead and try to build the "game" into a standalone executable Unity gives me an error (posted below). I have tried everything suggested - including creating a new project, all to no avail. Also, the executable inside the StagingArea directory works good.
Moving file failed
Moving Temp/StagingArea/Data to
C:/Users/David/Unity/Game\Game_Data
[Try Again] [Force Quit] [Cancel]

The console contains the following:
Error building Player: IOException: Failed to Move File / Directory from 'Temp/StagingArea/Data' to 'C:/Users/David/Unity/Game\Game_Data'.

The log contains the following:
[source lang="plain"]building target 5
- starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, for buildtarget 5
- starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll, for buildtarget 5
- Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
- Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll
- starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp.dll, for buildtarget 5
- Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp.dll
Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 386 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1135. Operation took 100.109242 ms.
System memory in use: 38.3 MB.

Mono dependencies included in the build
Boo.Lang.dll
Mono.Security.dll
System.dll
mscorlib.dll
Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
Assembly-CSharp.dll
Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll

Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 132 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 858. Operation took 95.242910 ms.
System memory in use: 34.6 MB.
Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 365 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1146. Operation took 107.446179 ms.
System memory in use: 36.2 MB.
Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 163 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 911. Operation took 112.492986 ms.
System memory in use: 58.9 MB.
Unloading 7 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 376 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 936. Operation took 105.572350 ms.
System memory in use: 58.9 MB.

Textures 2.0 mb 24.7%
Meshes 305.8 kb 3.7%
Animations 919.2 kb 11.1%
Sounds 0.0 kb 0.0%
Shaders 17.0 kb 0.2%
Other Assets 1.0 mb 12.6%
Levels 14.9 kb 0.2%
Scripts 41.3 kb 0.5%
Included DLLs 3.8 mb 46.9%
File headers 8.6 kb 0.1%
Complete size 8.1 mb 100.0%

Used Assets, sorted by uncompressed size:
1.3 mb 16.5% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/PrototypeCharacter/Textures/constructor_normals.png
1.2 mb 14.8% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/PrototypeCharacter/Constructor.FBX
1.0 mb 12.6% Assets/New Terrain.asset
682.8 kb 8.2% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/PrototypeCharacter/Textures/constructor_diffuse.png
17.0 kb 0.2%
0.2 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/PrototypeCharacter/Materials/constructor_done.mat
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/ThirdPersonController.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/PlatformInputController.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/ThirdPersonCamera.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/FPSInputController.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Utility Scripts/MeshCombineUtility.cs
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/General Scripts/DragRigidbody.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/CharacterMotor.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Utility Scripts/CombineChildren.cs
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/General Scripts/ActivateTrigger.cs
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Camera Scripts/SmoothLookAt.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Camera Scripts/SmoothFollow.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Camera Scripts/MouseOrbit.js
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/MouseLook.cs
0.1 kb 0.0% Assets/MoveToClick.cs
Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 1 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1201. Operation took 82.725413 ms.
System memory in use: 68.1 MB.
Error building Player: IOException: Failed to Move File / Directory from 'Temp/StagingArea/Data' to 'C:/Users/David/Unity/Game\Game_Data'.

(Filename: Line: -1)[/source]
Advertisement
Thats a bit odd, normally there shouldn't be any problems writing to the user directory in Windows.

a few things you can check though:

1) That you are logged in as "David"
2) That the folder C:/Users/David/Unity/Game\Game_Data exists and isn't write protected. (if the folder doesn't exist you can check the permissions on the Game and Unity folders to make sure they're not write protected either)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Thats a bit odd, normally there shouldn't be any problems writing to the user directory in Windows.

2) That the folder C:/Users/David/Unity/Game\Game_Data exists and isn't write protected. (if the folder doesn't exist you can check the permissions on the Game and Unity folders to make sure they're not write protected either)

1) Yeah, David that's me!
2) Ok, so the folder did not exist - so that must be the problem. I am guessing Unity can't write to the folder?
I checked right now, and the permissions on the Game folder stated Read Only (only applies to files in folder), so I removed that and it still didn't work. sad.png

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1343656634' post='4964486']

2) Ok, so the folder did not exist - so that must be the problem. I am guessing Unity can't write to the folder?
I checked right now, and the permissions on the Game folder stated Read Only (only applies to files in folder), so I removed that and it still didn't work. sad.png
[/quote]

Have you tried restarting unity and/or rebooting your system ?

[quote name='wiz3kid' timestamp='1343658066' post='4964497']

[/quote]

[/quote]
I restarted Unity a dozen of times. I turned my machine off this morning, and turned it back on in the afternoon, so that didn't help I guess... (unless you think I should restart again?)
BTW, I am running the 30-day pro-trial.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1343658719' post='4964500']
[quote name='wiz3kid' timestamp='1343658066' post='4964497']

[/quote]

[/quote]
I restarted Unity a dozen of times. I turned my machine off this morning, and turned it back on in the afternoon, so that didn't help I guess... (unless you think I should restart again?)
BTW, I am running the 30-day pro-trial.
[/quote]

hmm, You could try creating a new project using a different folder and re-import your assets/scripts and see if this helps, (I'm running out of ideas)
I checked right now, and the permissions on the Game folder stated Read Only (only applies to files in folder), so I removed that and it still didn't work.g.gif

I checked right now, and the permissions on the Game folder stated Read Only (only applies to files in folder), so I removed that and it still didn't work.g.gif

Could you give a link to that image?
The owner of the folder was set to Administrator instead of my name (perhaps because I launched Unity as administrator when I created the game), so I changed the owner to me, and it still does not work. I don't know what else to do! unsure.png I really want to be able to do this right. Having to constantly interrupt my development in order to launch the file from Explorer really slows me down... sad.png
Firstly, try removing the temp folder (back it up/copy it first if you're worried about data loss!) from your assets folder and re-starting Unity -- I've heard a number of times that similar problems have been solved that way. If it's still not working try the following:

1. Save any other work you're doing, and close all un-needed programs. You can keep a web-browser open with these instructions, as long as you don't have any Unity-related web-players or the like open. For best results, start from a fresh re-start of your machine.
  2. Open task manager (press Ctrl + Shift + Escape, -or- press Ctrl + Alt + Del and choose "start task manager" from the menu).
  3. If you have Unity currently running, close it. After waiting a moment, ensure there aren't any copies still running in task manager.
  4. On the "processes" tab of task manager, look for and close any processes that look like the following: "x:\Windows\Explorer.exe /factory,{guid} -Embedding"

• Note: to do the above you need to enable the "command line" column in View > Select Columns.

• Ensure you don't have any files from the _Data folder open in any program.
  • Re-start Unity, and perform a build in an empty directory.
    Let us know if that helps at all! I had these instructions saved in a document after experiencing a similar problem a while back and piecing it together from a couple of different sources online -- hopefully it works for you as well!

smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement